Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2012, 04:55 AM   #31
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chicken Moma chat thread. Share, Q&A, all things chicken!

The eggs are just imposible to tell the diff. :bang head: About half are the small dark, the other half look to be cochin. I checked again this am and now I'm not seeing any sign of a bacterial ring. 2 I see nothing. So I think 29 are fertile and growing well. I'm gonna do the huge totes in the house again. I kept one batch in for a while. They got pretty big. The coop devides off so they can be slowly introduced outside later on. We are insulateing the coop and installing double lamps. The bottom boards are going back up. There will actually be plenty of perch room. We have 4 perches on each wall that are quite roomey. Also, introduceing in large nubmers works well with our flock. I'm sure there will be plenty of roos with my luck. Those are headed to the freezer when old enough. I havn't gotten rid of the 4 now, they are headed there soon too. Today we spend the day with Cayden's resp and new allergist. Chat with everyone later.

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #32
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Am I crazy for wanting to get rid of these three maran chicks? They are a little crazy... They fly back and forth in the tub, jump on the ledge. It's like they are having an Olympic trial in there. They are about 5-7 days older than the other chicks but man they are soooo different.

Anybody have thoughts on this?

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #33
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Heh, they've just reached the next stage of chick-hood before the others. Time for some outside trips! They've got energy to burn!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #34
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
Heh, they've just reached the next stage of chick-hood before the others. Time for some outside trips! They've got energy to burn!
Should I just take those three out? And what do I do? Just let them play in a little area outside for a little while? Ate they ok in the sun or is shade better? Thank you for the idea!

Old 09-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #35
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Take the out in a sunny area, let them pick at the grass and jump around. They are old enough now they just have too much energy to burn. I gave mine some roosts, we had pallets so I used those for shelter. I dug some dirt up and put it in a big tray with some food so they could dig. They will act crazy like this for awhile then when you bring them in a few hours later they will be worn out and sleep. As long as they have food and water, and a little supervision they will be fine. They will not go anywhere either.
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #36
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsen6
Take the out in a sunny area, let them pick at the grass and jump around. They are old enough now they just have too much energy to burn. I gave mine some roosts, we had pallets so I used those for shelter. I dug some dirt up and put it in a big tray with some food so they could dig. They will act crazy like this for awhile then when you bring them in a few hours later they will be worn out and sleep. As long as they have food and water, and a little supervision they will be fine. They will not go anywhere either.
Thank you, I'll try that!

Old 09-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #37
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Yep, Fodie's got it! Make sure whatever you put them in is covered on top so nothing gets them. I had a rabbit hutch I'd put mine in. They sleep for HOURS after that. LOL! You'll notice within a few days they'll be calmer. I usually start taking them out for playtime at a week old, weather permitting.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #38
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Enjoying the dirt it was too hot during the day so we took them out once the sun was down a bit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2244436817.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	121021

The group

Name:	image-805797042.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	121022

the ee I think may be a boy

Name:	image-1326273981.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	121023

The maran I think is a boy (they are cuckoo marans indeed!)

Name:	image-1608863671.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	121024

Pretty eyed ee and her Cochin buddies

Name:	image-2636149765.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	121025

the group again

Old 09-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #39
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Here's our little friendly girl. She always runs up and let's me set her on my lap. Her beak is starting to twist. We have an adult hen with that too. I'm not sure why that happens.

Name:	image-11223866.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	121034

Name:	image-4294377052.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	121035

Two little snuggling austrolorps. The little one always comes up and dust bathes with the teen.

Name:	image-2567935918.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	121036
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #40
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hilary if I remember correctly its actually a skull deformality that makes this happen. Just make sure she has an extra deep dish where she can scoop out her food and she *should* be fine. some end up starving to death though because they just can't get enough (depends on how deformed it is) I have had a few that had this..about twice a week i would seperate them and give them a special gruel mixture that I blended up in a blender LOL...Sometimes I would just deperate them off (I had 4 at one point) and give them some extra food and time to eat to make sure they were getting enough. One eventually starting starving and I had to syringe feed her..then it got to the point that it really wasn't helping and we had to off her
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING

Last edited by igotmywings; 09-28-2012 at 08:32 PM.
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote