Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

Yes, when I have to bend down I just squat now It's easier when they are bigger and less floppy too though. I usually try to switch up my carriers throughout the day, but I've gotten lazy and that's probably another reason why I got so sore. If you can use different styles of carriers each time you take the baby in/out that will help.

Advertisement

Dancy Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #12
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Too much babywearing or the wrong crrier?

Squatting is a good option, easier on the back as well. Though in a wrap (stretchy or even with a woven) you should be able to support their head with the carrier so you can bend forward reasonably well.

I do find that wovens are nice for being able ot adjust where you're putting weight. Someone recently made a good point that it isn't so much the carrier or the carry but the muscle groups you're using and that can be varied a bit by adusting the carrier. Easier with a woven, for example in a ruck you can tie around the waist, versus tibeten versus tying around the same arm back-pack strap with distribute the weight a bit differently and help change up the muscle groups. They definitely sit differently in an SSC depending on where you put the waist and ho much you tighten the straps. The K'Tan is harder cause you can't adjust much. Usually with a wrap you want to be tightening more to give more support and you can adjust a bit where you're putting the weight, but you just can't in the K'Tan.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #13
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

I just got my first woven and am trying to figure out different wraps, already noticing the difference in where it stresses my muscles! You're totally right ^^ with what you said there! I really need to figure out how to do these carries better though, DH was freaking out, I'm pretty sure he thought I was going to kill our ds when I was trying to put him on my back
Old 09-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #14
anj
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Ducky View Post
The only sort of carrier I would ever even consider doing that with would be a frame pack from Deuter, Osprey, Kelty, of Vaude. I would never do that in a pack that wasn't designed by a backpacking company.

Also, the "waist belt" is supposed to sit on the upward curve of your hips. Just so you know. x_x'
It's different for everyone, but I am way more comfortable carrying our 23 pound toddler all day in my kinder pack than the kelty. I didn't find the kelty especially comfy, but it does let me carry some gear plus the baby to lighten my husband's load when we are backpacking. I stopped using the kelty for anything besides overnight backpacking trips in 2006 when I got my ergo. I have since owned a beco butterfly, a boba, an angel pack, a babyhawk oh snap, and a kinderpack. I absolutely love my kinderpack!

OP, I would avoid the ring sling for anything longer than 30 minutes. Two shouldered carries are so much easier on you back and neck! When my oldest was born, I had the kelty and the ring sling. I wore him a lot and hurt a lot. I was gifted the ergo while pregnant with ds2 and was completely comfortable wearing almost constantly for 6 months and several hours a day for another 1.5 years. I have tried all the above carriers with dd and none come close to my kp. I recommend trying one if you get the chance.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #15
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

Thanks! I've really even looking into a Kinderpack and think I will get one in the winter once ds can fit in the standard size. A lot of people are suggesting Manduca as well so I'm thinking of looking into that, but definitely the fact that KP has petite size straps look appealing!

Last edited by Dancy Baby; 09-29-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #16
lalaith
Registered Users
seller

You have to work up to it as well - you can't go from ten minutes a day to eight hours a day withou feeling it.
and the joy my munchkin brings!
lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #17
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancy Baby View Post
I just got my first woven and am trying to figure out different wraps, already noticing the difference in where it stresses my muscles! You're totally right ^^ with what you said there! I really need to figure out how to do these carries better though, DH was freaking out, I'm pretty sure he thought I was going to kill our ds when I was trying to put him on my back
Glad you're liking it, that's funny about your DH getting nervous, mine does too, he thinks he shoudl get in there and 'help' which with a wrap causes a LOT of trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancy Baby View Post
Thanks! I've really even looking into a Kinderpack and think I will get one in the winter once ds can fit in the standard size. A lot of people are suggesting Manduca as well so I'm thinking of looking into that, but definitely the fact that KP has petite size straps look appealing!
The Manduca is definitely highly recommended for petite frames. I'm pretty average and find it decent, nothing wrong with it, but isn't a huge improvement over my other SSC loves :P Though on the front I notice more of a difference!
Old 09-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #18
Leocaligirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow that is a long time to wear you baby. The only times I have worn my LO's that long is when we are at Disneyland and they were small. Otherwise it is just a few hours max.

ETA: I love homemade Moby like wraps when they are small and my Ergo now that they are bigger.

Last edited by Leocaligirl; 09-30-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Leocaligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #19
jennyy
Registered Users

When we travelled to Europe without a stroller, I wore our 15 mos old for 8+ hours a day in an Ergo and I was fine BUT I did take a break every 2 hours for at least 20min. I was totally fine and I am petite (almost 5 feet.... Le sigh.....) and I never wore him that much before the trip and regretted not having worn him more when he was younger. HTH
jennyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #20
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
Did you have your straps crossed on your back with the Gemini? I have an olives & applesauce and I noticed with the straps cris crossed it tends to pull on my neck. Also with a rs you have to keep it wrapped over your shoulder and make sure it doesn't make it's way towards your neck. I do think a rs could cause discomfort after awhile though.
itiswhatitis1984 is offline   Reply With Quote