Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Diapers, Cloth Pads & 1st time ordering Fabric Online

OK so with baby #2 on it's way I want to make a good part of my stash & figured I would make the QSFW pattern with a few modifications (made with cotton jersey knit (strech width wise), made to large size with softbums style elastic to make it OS, plus snaps to close them). I have calculated that to make a good sized stash (4 doz) I will need a little less than 22 yards of 60'' wide fabric.

Since I will be ordering my fabric online I figured I might as well order a little more & make myself some Cloth Pads that I can use for post-partum & beyond (pocket/envelope style). I plan on using ecomenses pattern #4 ( http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~obsidian/clothpads/DIYpads/Patterns.html). I was thinking of doing the top layer with the cotton jersey (to give it a little strech when stuffing) & the back/opening with polar fleece (not sure if I need windpro or if regular fleece will be enough) & do a little topper peice (like gem cloth does) with cotton velour or another feel dry fabric. I wont need to make inserts as I plan on using premie prefolds I got a while back (for this exact purpose) I have 3 doz of those so I figure if I use 2 per pad that will give me enough for 18 pads.

So if you have made it this far kudos! Now I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out my yardage for my pads? Also any advice/sugestions on my ideas/plans would be greatly appreciated as this will be my 1st time making both diapers & pads, but not my 1st time sewing (plus my mom will be helping me & she practically qualifies as a seamstress/dressmaker), I am planning on serging the edges as my mom has a serger!

Oh & last but not least where would be the best place to order from? I am a Canuck & as much as I would love to order from a place in Canada I know that I may not find what I am looking for in Canada & am willing to look at a place from the US or elsewhere. As much as it is anoying budget will also be a deciding factor in choosing where to order from.

Thanks for your help, I am sure I will need it.
Young SAHM to Birth Control (Depo Provera) surprise DS (22-09-2008) & DD (26-02-2013)

Swag with me!
Veronemilie is offline   Reply With Quote