Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-30-2012, 01:43 AM   #21
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What features do you wish your house had?

More closets, namely a coat closet near the front door. Currently our house has small bedroom closets, one small hallway linen closet and a medium bathroom closet in the master.

Id like a three car garage so DH and I could work on projects out there.

What used to be on my list:
A pantry. We bought several pantry cabinets and although they aren't officially installed I am using them and its fantastic because I can actually keep my counters clear because I can store our food in the pantry rather than the counter.

A bigger laundry room. We stacked our washer and dryer and installed a shelving system. Now we can fit a litterbox and hamper in the laundry room rather than in the kitchen and master bedroom. I think its important to learn how to work with what you have rather than dream of what you can't have. We installed a ironing board holder on the back of the door so the iron and board are stored vertical. We also have a pull out rack on the wall for the broom and mops. I am planning to get a wall holder for plastic grocery bag holder. Our laundry room is tiny but incredibly efficient.

Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 06:35 AM   #22
MaBacon
Registered Users
seller

Oh I get to think about all this. I just read everyone's posts. We are building our dream house next spring! Thankfully so I have some time to think about what I really want. I've always wanted a big house, (right now our's is big just shy of 2500 sqft) but not a style I want since this is a split level. I'd love 4 rooms upstairs for the kids with laundry up there. That way their mess is out of sight if people stop over. A large master with walk in closet and big bath with my jacuzzi tub in it this time (ours right now is down in the basement where the kids rooms are lol!) I want a big kitchen since I spend most my time there. I'd love a basement too for a guest room, a family room with a small kitchen in it for entertaining. Oh the dreams. We'll see what the budget can afford come spring but DH and my brother are building it so we can do it cheaper and we can get more of what we want. Oh and we'll have land. I want at least 5 acrs if not 10! Dream big or go home right!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #23
hezdwoody
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone View Post
More closets, namely a coat closet near the front door. Currently our house has small bedroom closets, one small hallway linen closet and a medium bathroom closet in the master.

Id like a three car garage so DH and I could work on projects out there.

What used to be on my list:
A pantry. We bought several pantry cabinets and although they aren't officially installed I am using them and its fantastic because I can actually keep my counters clear because I can store our food in the pantry rather than the counter.

A bigger laundry room. We stacked our washer and dryer and installed a shelving system. Now we can fit a litterbox and hamper in the laundry room rather than in the kitchen and master bedroom. I think its important to learn how to work with what you have rather than dream of what you can't have. We installed a ironing board holder on the back of the door so the iron and board are stored vertical. We also have a pull out rack on the wall for the broom and mops. I am planning to get a wall holder for plastic grocery bag holder. Our laundry room is tiny but incredibly efficient.
Very much agree and need to constantly remind myself of the bolded!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:45 AM   #24
deezee02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
One more bedroom
A bigger kitchen
Wall in master closet
Bigger master bath with huge tub and separate huge shower with bench and real vanity.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #25
kbz2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

I love my house. It's small but sufficient. If I was dreaming though I would love a house with a big walk in closet and my own bathroom with a huge garden tub. But that's really it. I love the fact that my house is only 1200 sq ft, it's a ranch everything on one floor and it's easy to clean and maintain.

If I ever hit the lottery or something I would still buy a ranch house just with the walk in closet and my own bathroom. Maybe a little bit more land to expand my garden but I don't even want acres because it's too much to work to maintain. I want easy and relaxing.

I often used to think of moving, but the fact is... my house is just right for us. Yes we could probably use more room when the new baby comes but we could just as easily get rid of some of the excess stuff too!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #26
peaches330
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well we're renting a house right now and it's temporary, but there are definitely some changes I'd make if I could. It really needs a storage closet on the main floor. There are only bedroom closets and the bedrooms are tiny so we need the closet space. I've had to store my vacuum, mop, broom, etc in the garage because there is nowhere to put them and it's a pain. I'd also love a playroom here since our other home had one and that's been the biggest transition. Right now we have about half of the living area dedicated to being a play area and I HATE it. If the bedrooms weren't microscopic I would've just made them keep their toys up there, but even if we cut a lot of what we have it still wouldn't fit. There is barely even any walk space in the boys' room with two beds in there . I guess that's another thing I'd love... bigger bedrooms. Other than that the layout here is great for us, I just wish it were remodeled.

Oh and I'd love central heating here. Something I'm really missing now that it's getting cold here :/
Old 10-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #27
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

I would love an attached garage. Even a carport would be nice. More built in storage would be nice too. And I hate stairs. Windows that had screens and were not painted shut would also be a big step up.

Overall, I love my house and I am thankful for it.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #28
mayliz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My wants...renovate the kitchen and give it a modern look (it's got 1990s bottom of the barrel cabinets), upgrade our bathrooms, a walk-in closet in the master, hardwood floors, and solar panels to cover our electric and pool heating needs. These our home improvement goals for the next 2-3 years. We were going to get the new kitchen this year but were also hoping/praying for a baby. We got the baby, instead. Yay! So now we're working on the nursery first, our primary wish, and baby should be here in a few months. The nursery is getting new flooring, new paint, a built-in shelving/toy storage with seating area and a bunch of other things. The kitchen will be our next big project, but we want to wait until our LO is at least 6 months old to begin.
mayliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #29
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Laundry shoot, geothermal heating, more bedrooms( have 3 but will have 5 in the house), more living space,& kitchen space for my hubby big family.better heat system so not into hallways in my room or not into sinks.....our room is so cold & vent doesn't heat much/cool unlike my daughter room is so hot in winter & cool in summer. Our main fixed so no roots/ backup, finished basement. Bigger 2 car or a 3 car garage so we can actually get the cars both in with bikes & toys & all.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #30
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wish we had closet space, right now we only have bedroom closets. The attic is semi-finished and would be amazing if we had a permanent ladder or stairs. Right now the pull down ladder is difficult to use and blocks the hallway. I wish the garage was nice, it reaks of mouse poop and the electricity doesnt work. I wish parking was better... i hate tandem parking.

I would love to have the side yard paved and put a canopy over it. It isnt used space, then we could store things and get them out of the nasty garage.

I would love to take out the rotten deck off the master bedroom and put in a sun room.

Overall this house is awesome, and i love fixing up all the little stuff!
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote