Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #41
stringbean02's Avatar
stringbean02
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 2,359
My Mood:
Re: How long did you RF your kiddos?

DS RFd to 3.5, DD is RF.

Advertisement

__________________
Loving wife to my veteran (10/8/08)
Mama to DS (4/7/09) and DD (7/15/10)
Full time student pursuing my lifelong dream of nursing
Child passenger safety questions? Ask me, I'm a CPST!
stringbean02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #42
kaimon
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 3,248
Re: How long did you RF your kiddos?

I kind of wish this had an anonymous poll. I've been avoiding posting...

I turned DD at 2 years, 10 months because her seat straps began sticking and I was getting her a new seat. She was 29/30lbs which was the limit of the seat she was in, and exactly an inch from the top of the seat if I remember right. A seat that would RF her longer would have had to have been taller and that would not fit behind DH while he was driving. He was already closer to the wheel than he should have been with the seat she was in. So she turned.

I just turned DS at 2 years, 9 months, even though he technically could keep RFing for a while longer. His seat RF to 35 lbs and he's about 32/33 lbs fully clothed. He has small panic attacks in the car because he can't see us. Sometimes freaks out and yells "mommy! are you there!?." He's constantly questioning what's going on (with anxiety). "why are we stopped? what's happening?". While of these instances were minor and usually soothed relatively quickly by answering his questions calmly and describing what's going on, I decided that I was comfortable switching him at this point to avoid the anxiety in the first place.

Prepared to be flamed for an answer other than "to the limits" or "beacuse I didn't know better"
__________________
Proud Canadian Mum to N and G!
kaimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #43
jaelynsmommy61607's Avatar
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Everett,WA
Posts: 7,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimon
I kind of wish this had an anonymous poll. I've been avoiding posting...

I turned DD at 2 years, 10 months because her seat straps began sticking and I was getting her a new seat. She was 29/30lbs which was the limit of the seat she was in, and exactly an inch from the top of the seat if I remember right. A seat that would RF her longer would have had to have been taller and that would not fit behind DH while he was driving. He was already closer to the wheel than he should have been with the seat she was in. So she turned.

I just turned DS at 2 years, 9 months, even though he technically could keep RFing for a while longer. His seat RF to 35 lbs and he's about 32/33 lbs fully clothed. He has small panic attacks in the car because he can't see us. Sometimes freaks out and yells "mommy! are you there!?." He's constantly questioning what's going on (with anxiety). "why are we stopped? what's happening?". While of these instances were minor and usually soothed relatively quickly by answering his questions calmly and describing what's going on, I decided that I was comfortable switching him at this point to avoid the anxiety in the first place.

Prepared to be flamed for an answer other than "to the limits" or "beacuse I didn't know better"
Why would you be flammed? You rf well beyond the min and continued to kept your kids safe in a FF harness. That is awesome! If anyone has a issue with it they need to move along. While most of us here rf to the max its not ideal for every one. I think you did great!

I turned DD before a year. I didn't know the benefits of erf and she constantly cried in the car. When she turned 3 I bought a new seat an rf her for 6 months. Then I bought her a frontier because we had the money and she was getting close to 40lbs. DS is 2 yr 8 months and still rf. He's FF time to time. Usually when I can't stand the fighting anymore I turn him for a day or two. He likes to kick his sister in the face.
__________________
Jessica-Mommy
Jaelyn(6-16-07) & Dominic (2-4-10)
HBA2C Damian(6-19-12)
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:15 AM   #44
Squig'sMumMum's Avatar
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Southeastern USA
Posts: 4,959
Re: How long did you RF your kiddos?

4 yrs
__________________
DH & I happily welcomed Squig March '08 and Hiccup March '12

If there are any typos or grammatical errors I was probably NAK, apologies in advance!
Squig'sMumMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #45
kaimon
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 3,248
Re: How long did you RF your kiddos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607 View Post
Why would you be flammed? You rf well beyond the min and continued to kept your kids safe in a FF harness. That is awesome! If anyone has a issue with it they need to move along. While most of us here rf to the max its not ideal for every one. I think you did great!
Thank you I just know there are a lot of people who wouldn't consider turning before the weight/height limits under any circumstance. So I feel like I need to be prepared to defend my decision.
__________________
Proud Canadian Mum to N and G!

Last edited by kaimon; 09-30-2012 at 10:27 AM.
kaimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #46
Tia's Avatar
Tia
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 2,178
My Mood:
Re: How long did you RF your kiddos?

My oldest rear faced until 3 years 9 months. My youngest is 25 months and still rear-facing.
__________________
Tia-CPS Technician and Wife to Richard 7.16.2005,
Stay at home Mama to Hospital birthed
Sophia Marie 11.29.2007 9lbs, 22"
and born at home Alaina Jean 8.21.2010 7lbs11oz, 20"
Surro twins- 1.6.2013- 37 weeks, born vaginally
5lb11oz and 4lb8oz
Tia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #47
monica-m's Avatar
monica-m
Registered Users
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 2,312
My Mood:
Re: How long did you RF your kiddos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimon View Post
Prepared to be flamed for an answer other than "to the limits" or "beacuse I didn't know better"
Did you read any of the other responses? There has been no flaming. We're not all going to agree on everything but no one is spitting flames about an over an almost 3 year old FF.
__________________
CPST-I and SAHM to DS
monica-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #48
an_aurora's Avatar
an_aurora
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,425
Re: How long did you RF your kiddos?

DD1 was 11.5 months. I re-rf'd her at 18 months and she started FFing off and on at about 3.

DD2 was 4.

DS was 2.5, when he outgrew his Coccoro, and nothing else fits RF in my car width-wise with the combination of seats we need.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #49
kaimon
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 3,248
Re: How long did you RF your kiddos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica-m View Post
Did you read any of the other responses? There has been no flaming. We're not all going to agree on everything but no one is spitting flames about an over an almost 3 year old FF.
So instead you'll get snarky over the fact that I was hesitant to post my response knowing that it would be different than others? ouch.

Yes I read the other responses. I don't know why you would ask that (if you did not intend for it to be snarky). I am not debating previous responses and I did not suggest that there had already been flaming. I only saw responses saying until the limits or with a "because I didn't know better" disclaimer on it. I am not suggesting that this is a group of horrible people. I posted my response knowing that there will be a lot people in here who would not make the same decision. I very recently turned my son, I debated it long and hard and like most major parenting decisions it came with some uncertainty. Maybe 'flamed' was the wrong word, but I honestly expected someone to suggest alternatives to turning him, which given *my feelings* about the step I just took would feel like criticism and flaming. I have seen lots of it when it comes to ERF, my insecurities resulted in me expecting that it would be directed toward me. I am glad I was wrong. Let's not make a huge deal over the fact that I stated that I was concerned about it happening.

Edited to better clarify, I do not want to begin a back and forth and derail this thread because of this.
__________________
Proud Canadian Mum to N and G!

Last edited by kaimon; 09-30-2012 at 01:37 PM.
kaimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #50
keen1981's Avatar
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 12,360
I do remember FF my ds#2 briefly around 3. I had my neice and my suv was extremely narrow and without buying a radian, it was the only combo that fit all their seats properly. When she left, he went back to RF. we all do what we can. I wasn't about to spend $300 for 3 weeks of FF. although I have seen people suggest others buy new cars in order to keep their child RF. which I think is craze balls. Lol.
__________________
BFing, CDing, all natural mama to three boys! Certified lactation Counselor
keen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.