Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #11
beansie19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please help me with my son..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbakke View Post
I know of a blog that you may find interesting and helpful. Maria has great knowledge on nutrition and health, all her recipes are grain free ( all grains) starch free and sugar free. She also does consultations online. Many people that go GF make the mistake of adding a lot of starch in place of wheat. That can be just as harmful as the wheat. We follow Maria's type of lifestyle, but we have no allergies in our family. http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/
wow! very excited about this site! does she have a cookbook??

Advertisement

Mary, SAHM and DW to DH, Jay Proud parents of Emma Bean! :: 08/19/11. We had a med-free VB and are CDing , BFing, NVaxing, BFMing (baby food making~made that one up), part time ECing, sometimes BWing and ex-CSing ! Pleased to meet you!
beansie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #12
beansie19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nevermind! Found it
Mary, SAHM and DW to DH, Jay Proud parents of Emma Bean! :: 08/19/11. We had a med-free VB and are CDing , BFing, NVaxing, BFMing (baby food making~made that one up), part time ECing, sometimes BWing and ex-CSing ! Pleased to meet you!
beansie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:12 AM   #13
hollybabies
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansie19 View Post
I would bet on the gluten allergy. It takes a good few weeks to a month for his system to get back on track. But you should notice a def change in him. Happier, less irritable, increase in appetite, sleeping better etc. Gluten is not really good for anyone. We should all consume only small amounts. There are a lot of gluten-free options out there but I wouldn't over do the processed foods with all the tapioca/potato starch either. Rice pasta, quinoa flour millet and amaranth are good things to have on hand and easy to digest. With my DD, I did the first week with no grains at all. Just fruits, veggies, including squash and sweet potatoes and proteins like lentils, fish or chicken. hope that helps.
Sounds good, I think I just need to start this myself and see if there is a change, just talked to my dh, and he is in favor of trying it
Old 09-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #14
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you need a new allergist. I have never had an allergist refuse to test either for me or my daughter when there was an unknown allergy still reacting. I would recommend getting a new allergist and getting testing done before making a change like this. Also recommend a food diary, so you can note when symptoms occur. That will help you narrow things down some. What was he tested for before? Just peanuts? Top 8? Enviro? If he refuses eggs take that as a hint- he may not like them or they may be causing him a problem, you may want to cut eggs and see what happens. My dd ate cantaloupe for a year so when she had her first reaction we didn't think it was cantaloupe. But then she refused to eat it. Kids are better a listening to their bodies then adults. Also all of his symptoms could be caused by enviro- even the vomiting (mucus draining into the stomach causes nausea). Is it worse in the morning? Dust mites could cause that. Dairy is a likely food culprit- you may want to cut the yogurt out. Since you already don't do dairy it won't be a huge change. There are so many variables you really need more answers to get it taken care off. Get a new allergist. Is your doc concerned about the lack of weight gain? Has it changed from what he has always done?

My dd is allergic to peanuts, coconut, cantaloupe, dogs, cats and dust mites. She also has a dairy sensitivity- symptoms starting at 3 weeks old. I am allergic to pretty much everything you can breathe (I have puked more then once from fresh cut grass). DD was 18 pounds at 1. her dairy thing wasn't diagnosed until she was 1, before that we got blown off as being overprotective and unable to cope with our "colicky" baby. Even when she started missing her milestones they still told us everything was fine. At 1 we switched docs. Took 5 mins for her new doc to figure out something was wrong. 2 weeks on milk and she knew the issue. DD did have mal absorption problems because it. She went on prescription vitamins and within 2 weeks of changing to soy she gained weight. At 18 months she was 21 pound. She didn't gain but 1 pound from 18 to 24. I can't remember what the rest were, but she stayed on the track so docs aren't concerned that she is 3 rd percentile. At 5 she weighs 32 pounds. She is a skinny minnie and likely to always be (I was underweight until pregnancy). She takes regular flinstones now. We use full fat soy milk. We use olive oil in everything- her noodles, her veggies, everything gets a coating of olive oil- its good way to add fat without adding a lot of flavor for picky kids. She loves avocados and olives so those are regular snacks. We also use Wowbutter to make wowbutter crackers and sandwiches (we don't send them to school though, don't want to cause confusion). We also use to add scrambled eggs and/or hamburger to her rice in addition to her meals actual protein source. All this has ever done has keep her on track. We stopped trying to get her to actively gain at 2 when everything we did, just didn't work. Her doc is not concerned with her weight since it is the following her personal curve.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #15
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansie19 View Post
Nevermind! Found it
We have her kids cookbook and another one. The kids cookbook is filled with a lot of nutrition info as well as recipes. Her FB page is very helpful too.
vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #16
PajammaGramma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the post about getting a new doctor! That's weird that they won't do the testing. 5 of my 7 grandkids have had the testing and we now know what each needs as far as diet and conditions.

My 7 yo grandson was born 4 weeks early, lungs not developed and so many other little problems. He is about 41 inches tall, but only about 40 pounds. He has asthma and many other allergies. Thankfully, he does not have any food allergies. He started eating a high protein diet and is slowly adding a little meat to his bones. He is just way too thin.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #17
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would also strongly consider a new allergist. All my kids have had allergy testing before 1 year of age. I'd also consider going 100% dairy free, no milk, no yogurt, no cheese, no dairy ingredients at all.

Another possible product might be Duocal. It's a powder that you add to food to boost calories. It's dairy & soy free & from the people who make Neocate. My 2 year old is on Neocate Jr only due to his severe food allergies. He has no safe foods. I would speak to your dr before getting this but it can be a big help with children who need some help in the weight dept but with out foods that can cause allergy issues. If you son's stomach is bothering him, I might also think about a GI consult as well.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #18
CM6755
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son was 10lbs at birth (13 at discharge, 4 days later....), hit 20lbs at 6 mos, and crept up from there...25 at 2 1/2....lived of peanut butter for most of his 2's. He was tested for Celiac Disease (endoscopy) last March. The pediatric GI doc said to NOT go GF until after the test, as a matter of fact he wanted me make sure he ate foods higher in Gluten the days before the endoscopy to ensure better results. I made sure to give him WW foods and a BIG bowl of Cheerois before bedtime the night before. No Celiac disease...just picky toddler. He is almost 4 now (oct) and has really started eating foods that totally SUPRISE ME! Like in Trader Joes' he ate (AND LOVED) spinach and ricotta filled ravioli! He loves Chia Seeds on cereal and yogurt, he has started eating what I have on my plate too. Hang in there mama! I would be concerend with the vomiting and upset tummy, maybe take him to an allergey doc?
Old 09-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #19
hollybabies
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just took him to a Naturopath and he is doing a stool test and the blood test (1000$) worth of testing but it should tell me what his gut looks like (yeast, parasites, bacteria, etc) and then the blood test is for like 200 allergens. Then, I should at least know something. He says he wants to start him on a no sugar, no gluten diet to heal his gut. We already to very low sugar, but no sugar will be hard, I do like to give a treat 1x a week which he really looks forward to. Gluten free will be new too, so, waiting to see what the outcome of all this will be. Thanks mamas for chiming in with suggestions
Old 10-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #20
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Going no sugar seemed so hard when we first changed, now it is very easy. We use stevia and a sweetener called Swerve, it is a form of erythritol, witch doesn't have the digestive issues that xylitol can have. We use a lot of almond flour and coconut flour, and coconut oil. Check out Tropical Tradtions, they have awesome CO flour. So he can still have a treat it will just have to be different. Hope you get it all figured out!
vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote