Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Best diaper for NB blowouts

I cloth diapered my DD and my DS but not as newborns. Now that DD is PLing I'm looking ahead to baby #3 and dreaming of a newborn stash. I favor covers over flats or prefolds but am really interested in fitteds. Fitteds seem like they'd be the best for holding in a really explosive newborn ebf blowout. Is this an accurate assumption?

My babies have all been born at 10lbs and 11lbs, so a teeny newborn stash is probably not wise. :-) I need ideas for diapering through the newborn phase that would still be useful (or have a high resale value) as they grow out of the NB stuff within the first month. :-)

Advertisement

BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
gigismomma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Best diaper for NB blowouts

My favorite newborn diapers are diaper drive thru fitteds......they are similar to muttaqin but have two snaps on the front, which gives a better fit in my opinion. For a baby that size, go straight to the size XS (I have both XXS and XS, but my babies are born right at 7 lbs). I discovered them with my second daughter and bought even more for DD3 (1 month old now) -- and we have yet to have a leak or blowout!
gigismomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
mskalinin
Registered Users
seller

Our bulletproof go-to was something you're not really interested in. GMD prefolds with thirsties covers pretty much never failed. We tried fitteds and pockets as well, but the prefolds (folded in the angel-wing stye) with the thirsties covers were the BEST. Plus they were the easiest to clean.
mskalinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigismomma
My favorite newborn diapers are diaper drive thru fitteds......they are similar to muttaqin but have two snaps on the front, which gives a better fit in my opinion. For a baby that size, go straight to the size XS (I have both XXS and XS, but my babies are born right at 7 lbs). I discovered them with my second daughter and bought even more for DD3 (1 month old now) -- and we have yet to have a leak or blowout!
I looked for these online just now. ADORABLE prints. :-) do they come in plain white? Or just the adorable prints? I can see keeping a few nice printed ones at home for when we have a coverless/breathable time. And I really like the design. I'm looking for something with the same sort of design but plain white or off white so they're a little cheaper, and so I don't feel silly covering it! Lol!
Old 10-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskalinin
Our bulletproof go-to was something you're not really interested in. GMD prefolds with thirsties covers pretty much never failed. We tried fitteds and pockets as well, but the prefolds (folded in the angel-wing stye) with the thirsties covers were the BEST. Plus they were the easiest to clean.
Did that fold keep the covers from getting poopy? I know eventually all covers will get pooped on (they ARE diapers, after all...lol), but my ideal would be to have inserts/fitteds/inners that keep the covers from having to be washed with each use. Otherwise I feel like "why don't we just have pockets or AIOs?" And those seem more spendy.
:-)
Old 10-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would buy small ME bamboo Sandys. Nothing escapes those babies! Plus they will fit a big newborn until 20+ lbs.

ETA: I use wool covers exclusively and fitteds. Most fitteds contain well, but Sandys are the most bulletproof Ive tried.

Last edited by juliasmom; 10-01-2012 at 06:16 PM.
juliasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskalinin View Post
This. I am diapering a newborn currently and prefolds/flats and Thirsties or Nikky covers never fails us. Did the same for my last newbie and we had zero blowouts and only 4-5 covers. I'm pretty good with them so we rarely got poop on the covers.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigismomma View Post
This! They are AWESOME. They're only $7.95/each, and just as good as $16+ newborn fitteds. I had both sizes, the xxs fit until about 11lbs and the XS fit until about 14lbs (a very chunky 14lbs ) The hold in everything. Awesome diapers!
Old 10-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #9
Ainmemphis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Saw this thread as I too am trying to build an inexpensive nb stash. Where can I buy diaper drive thru fitteds? ??
Old 10-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey

This! They are AWESOME. They're only $7.95/each, and just as good as $16+ newborn fitteds. I had both sizes, the xxs fit until about 11lbs and the XS fit until about 14lbs (a very chunky 14lbs ) The hold in everything. Awesome diapers!
Where did you buy yours?