Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #91
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

Re: Homeschooling check-in

Thanks to all for the "well wishes"! We are feeling much better this week.
Today was the only good weather day for this week, in our area of OH, so we went and tore down the rest of the play house/chicken coop. It's supposed to rain for the rest of the week so we won't start rebuilding it until next week. Hopefully we will get in a few "normal" school days this week before our field trip on Friday.
I wish all of you a good start to the week!

Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #92
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the advice, ladies. My MIL is very good about staying out of the paranting issue and other issues, but she does it in her own way, so sometiems she does things I do not want her to do becuase she does not know that I do not want her to do those things.

It is OK to ask her not to say certain things, but, I have to do it at the right moment because if I am not careful, shd would make a really big deal out of it.
Last Saturday, she was making comment after some other incident...., so I did not think it was a good timing.

I plan to teach as much as I can during the Holiday seasons too, my husband says if my MIL keeps saying kids shouldn't have to during Holiday seasons, he will speak to her.

We had a decent study day today. Did eveything on the lesson plan.

Click Here
to join suporpoints and get your 50 poits.
Earn points for paypal cash.
Do you like shopping online? Get rebates from ebates, Mr. Rebates
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #93
hibiscus869
Registered Users

Hello, I'm new here (to this forum anyway). We aren't 100% homeschooling but my DS comes home early at the end of the day to do math (I dislike the math system they're using at the school). He goes to a very flexible charter school so we're able to do this.

ANYWAY we are doing Saxon math and after doing the placement test he's basically between 7/6 and 8/7. My DH thinks we should move forward and do 8/7. I think we should do 7/6 this year, and then maybe skip 8/7 altogether which I've heard of people doing. Does anyone have experience with this? I'd love some input. Thanks
hibiscus869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #94
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Today was a success. The girls got history and science done! It wasn't interactive like I hoped it would be, but they read the assigned lessons/pages and we discussed it on the way to soccer. In a little while, I'm headed to the library to pick up supplemental books and I have Fridays set aside for some type of project. So, I need to prepare that.

Has anyone done Saxon K and/or grade 1? DS will be 5 in January and I'm wondering if I should give it to him as a birthday present and start him a bit early. It seems that all of a sudden he's had a big leap in mathematical thinking. He's started skip counting and counting higher than 30 (about 15 was the highest he would count this summer). He's been able to do simple addition and subtraction with manipulatives for quite a while and he's good on pattern type activities. I'm not sure if K would be too easy, but I don't want to start early with grade 1 and either it's too hard and he gets frustrated or it's just over his head. Thoughts?
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #95
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibiscus869 View Post
Hello, I'm new here (to this forum anyway). We aren't 100% homeschooling but my DS comes home early at the end of the day to do math (I dislike the math system they're using at the school). He goes to a very flexible charter school so we're able to do this.

ANYWAY we are doing Saxon math and after doing the placement test he's basically between 7/6 and 8/7. My DH thinks we should move forward and do 8/7. I think we should do 7/6 this year, and then maybe skip 8/7 altogether which I've heard of people doing. Does anyone have experience with this? I'd love some input. Thanks
How old is your DS and how are his math skills typically? DD1 just turned 12 last week (6th grade). She is doing 7/6 and she's always been an average math student (we're coming from a parochial school-this is our 1st year hsing). I think she's doing really well. She still makes quite a few computation errors, but it isn't because she doesn't know them (that's detail work and it's not where her strength lies). She is grasping the concepts quite well and is showing a lot of improvement.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #96
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibiscus869 View Post

Hi there. I do not have the experience of using 7/6 or 8/7, but I think perhaps it's best for the person who is in charge of teaching him to decide which way to go. It's hard to tell without knowing more about where your son is and how he does with math in detail.

Click Here
Old 10-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #97
moms5angels
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels

My Mood:

hi everyone we just started r 1st officall yr of hs! i have a 2nd grader & a kindergartener. i did hs my 5yr old for the past 2yrs w/ preschool-pre-k. i didnt see it as offically hs. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by EskimoStitches View Post
I posted a thread with a question but I see this is pretty hopping with hs so I thought I would ask here too.

Who has a good recommendation for health that isn't attached to a science? I need 4-6 grade approximately.
this is what i use. http://www.nourishinteractive.com/ my kids seem to like it. best part its free

Last edited by moms5angels; 10-01-2012 at 06:54 PM.
moms5angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #98
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse View Post
Today was a success. The girls got history and science done! It wasn't interactive like I hoped it would be, but they read the assigned lessons/pages and we discussed it on the way to soccer. In a little while, I'm headed to the library to pick up supplemental books and I have Fridays set aside for some type of project. So, I need to prepare that.

Has anyone done Saxon K and/or grade 1? DS will be 5 in January and I'm wondering if I should give it to him as a birthday present and start him a bit early. It seems that all of a sudden he's had a big leap in mathematical thinking. He's started skip counting and counting higher than 30 (about 15 was the highest he would count this summer). He's been able to do simple addition and subtraction with manipulatives for quite a while and he's good on pattern type activities. I'm not sure if K would be too easy, but I don't want to start early with grade 1 and either it's too hard and he gets frustrated or it's just over his head. Thoughts?
I haven't used Saxon K or 1.
My daughter is about your son's age and recently, she showed some interest in learning math and L.A. as well.
I've been doing a lot of review on subjects like what your son is doing like addition, subtraction, skip counting, etc etc.
I was also wondering if I should teach more of 1st grade material, but so far, I'm sticking with basic K material (from lessonpatyway) and so far, so good.
But I'm sort of picking and choosing what I want to teach her and not really following the material strictly. (meaning I'm not committed to following lessonpatyway strictly, and if the oppourtunity rises, I'd be teaching things that are not in lessonpatyways, and if my daughter digests the concepts quckly and had enough practice, I'll not be committed to K, but am ready to move to first grade at anytime.)

I hope it helped you to get some ideas.....

Good luck and have fun.

Click Here
Old 10-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #99
moms5angels
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by acwakip View Post
Normal day planned tomorrow. I have lots of prep work this week, I can't wait until I can purchase some history curriculum for them. I have to prepare all their assignments, quizzes, and tests and it is getting old.

Anyone have any suggestions for good middle school American History curriculum?
i do the same! i use www.lessonpathways.com its helps a lil w/ the lession planning for both of my kids but having to put together everything from scrach it getting to b tireing for me too. :/ the only thing i dont do from scrach is my 2nd graders geography. its the only book i found that he can understand w/ having autism & its in r pice range. :/
Old 10-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #100
hibiscus869
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse

How old is your DS and how are his math skills typically? DD1 just turned 12 last week (6th grade). She is doing 7/6 and she's always been an average math student (we're coming from a parochial school-this is our 1st year hsing). I think she's doing really well. She still makes quite a few computation errors, but it isn't because she doesn't know them (that's detail work and it's not where her strength lies). She is grasping the concepts quite well and is showing a lot of improvement.
Thanks for the advice. He is a good math student but not a great test taker so I have to remember to take the placement test with a grain of salt. Usually he doesn't test super well but then he does well on all his assignments and homework. So he may be fine with the 8/7, which he and my DH want to do. A friend of mine loaned me all her 7/6 stuff including the D.I.V.E. CD so I think my inner cheapie wanted to just use that...but maybe it would be better to do the 8/7. Argh decisions decisions.
hibiscus869 is offline   Reply With Quote