Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #21
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 12 hour release

My experience changes with each baby. I've never had a bad experience, but some where better than others.
I think because I was a teen with my first 2, I was treated differently and made me talk to social workers and such.
With my last 2, I enjoyed my stay, however I went home around the 24h mark. I think my last kid I stayed the 2 days but it was because I was passing LARGE clots! (I freaked and pulled the nurse cord in the bathroom and I was afraid to look in the toilet because I was SURE I had a twin fall out!!!)

Advertisement

trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #22
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My baby was born at 3:31am. When the doctor came to check on me about 11am, I asked about going home ASAP. He was a little surprised, but told me that since I didn't have any complications and a smooth delivery that he'd do the paper work ... HOWEVER the hospital's policy was not to release newborns until 24hours minimum. The doctor came in around 8am the following morning, and said that he'd let the baby leave at noon if everything still looked good with her.

I WOULD have gone home after 12 hours, but I stayed until they let my baby go.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #23
amylachney
Registered Users
seller

I had my daughter at 12:32 a.m. and was out by 4 or 5 that afternoon. It was great! We were anxious to go a few hours after she was born. We just felt like we were hanging around in a {HOT!!} hospital room, when we could be at home in our own house.

With my son, I was GBS+ and got to the hospital pushing, so I couldn't get antibiotics. We had to stay 2 nights (I had him at 11:30pm on a thursday, left the hospital saturday afternoon) to keep an eye out on him, and they also checked his blood sugar a bunch of times because he was big. I was miserable!! My husband went home mid-day friday to pick up our daughter, and once he was gone I just wanted to go home! It was so boring just sitting in a hospital room, and I also can't sleep in a hospital. It just doesn't happen for me.

So I would jump at the chance for only a 12 hour stay, given everyone is healthy.

SAHM to my baby girl Abigail 6/27/10 and little tank Patrick 2/2/12!
amylachney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #24
an_aurora
Registered Users

I only had one hospital birth, with DD1. She was born at 8:31am and the pediatrician and midwife both saw us that afternoon and gave us the go-ahead to be released at the 24 hour mark. We were dressed, packed, with baby in the car seat and my mom had the car at the door at 8:30 the next morning I would have loved to go home that same day but we didn't know to ask for early release. I found out later they would have let us.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #25
RachelFlores
Registered Users
seller
seller

My first was my only hospital birth. We stayed for 2 days as that was what was expected. I don't like staying in a hospital unless I am sick enough to NEED round the clock checking on by nurses. I much prefer being at home if I have a choice. My next two were born at a birthing center and both times we went home about 3 hours after my babies were born. I loved it! My babies slept on the car ride home.

For all those who bleed a lot and hate the mess, get some Depends. They are SO much better than the mesh panties and pillow sized pads. I had leaks with those and was always worried about staining my sheets and clothes. I never had any leaks with the Depends and I bled very heavily. Plus, when compared to the alternative they are more comfortable.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #26
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My OB offered to release us after 12 hours and I thought she was joking. No way in heck was I leaving that quickly and I had an easy birth. I have had two awesome hospital births and really enjoy my stay.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #27
MelDM
Registered Users
Formerly: newmom
seller

My Mood:
I left after 11 hrs with DS. He was my 3rd baby and I had him at my work. (I'm an L&D nurse ). There wasn't a reason for me to stay, I was more then ready to get home to my own bed. I had him at 1:53AM and if it wasn't for my husband fast asleep in my bed I would've been ready to go by 10.

Our policy is minimum 6 hrs after delivery if all is ok. Not many leave after 6, but some do. But baby has to be discharged too and that can be the issue sometimes because they only do rounds in the morning, so if you have your baby at 2pm you have to wait till the next morning for babe to be discharged.

Mama to 3! Brooke (4), Katie (3) and our newest addition, Ryan born 3/5/2011!
MelDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #28
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

I am having this baby at a birth center and the stay is max 12 hours I'm thrilled!

I was totally ready to leave the hospital after 12 hours with DS but had to stay due to being on mag

Last edited by Joyful Tie Dyes; 10-10-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #29
4dramamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelFlores
My first was my only hospital birth. We stayed for 2 days as that was what was expected. I don't like staying in a hospital unless I am sick enough to NEED round the clock checking on by nurses. I much prefer being at home if I have a choice. My next two were born at a birthing center and both times we went home about 3 hours after my babies were born. I loved it! My babies slept on the car ride home.

For all those who bleed a lot and hate the mess, get some Depends. They are SO much better than the mesh panties and pillow sized pads. I had leaks with those and was always worried about staining my sheets and clothes. I never had any leaks with the Depends and I bled very heavily. Plus, when compared to the alternative they are more comfortable.
My youngest three were born in a freestanding birth center and we went home in under 3 hours with each of them. No issues. I loved being in my own home and bed with no one waking me.

If you have someone to watch your older children you could just go home anyway and keep the person there for the exact same child care as if you stayed in the hospital.

I second the Depends!
Beth, Christian mama of 5 (expecting #6 Spring 2013).
Check out my blog Heart Stirred with Wisdom

Last edited by 4dramamama; 10-12-2012 at 09:31 PM.
4dramamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #30
BrownCowMama
Registered
seller

We had all ours at a birth center too and left for home within 2 hours after birth. Someone usually took the older babies for most the day do we could settle in quietly, but I loved it because after the high wore off and I was ready to sleep, I was already home and in my warm bed!
BrownCowMama is offline   Reply With Quote