View Poll Results: First child speech skills:tv watching opportunities
My child was very verbal at an early age and tv was not restricted in our home (more than 1hr a day) 46 36.51%
My child was very verbal at an early age and tv was restricted in our home (nonexistent/30mins) 35 27.78%
My child was NOT verbal at an early age and tv was not restricted in our home (more than 1hr a day) 24 19.05%
My child was NOT verbal at an early age and tv was very restricted in our home (nonexistent/30mins) 15 11.90%
Other, because there's always an other. 6 4.76%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #31
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Poll: First Children - TV and Speech

I'm not sure what you mean by "an early age".

DD is my eldest. She was a late-talker (first word at 15 mths, only a handful at 18mths), but by 2yo she had caught up (right near 50th%ile), by 2y2m was advanced, and by 2.5 her speech was highly advanced (people listening to her talk thought she must be over 4yo).

We did no TV until 18mths and only 30 min after that (so I could do her hair). Even now, it is 1 show (30min)/day during the week and 1 movie (1.5-2hr) allowed (instead of the show, not in addition) on the weekends.

How should I vote? I know its limited TV, but was she highly verbal at an early age or later? (or am I one of those dreaded "others" )

Advertisement

Last edited by lanwenyi; 10-01-2012 at 07:16 PM.
lanwenyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #32
crunch!910
Registered Users

I would personally think families that watched LESS TV would have more vocal/verbal children. And here's my logic: when we have the TV on, we're all sitting silently in the room watching the TV in a trance. When we turn the TV, we are forced to play together, interact with one another, and speak to one another.

I'm not a really talkative person, we watch WAY too much TV and I spend too much time on the computer. My son wasn't delayed, but he certainly isn't advanced in his speech and usually still is not very easily understood by strangers even though he is 3 years old. Still within normal, but I recognize where we went wrong and I'm trying to watch less TV and spend more time actively interacting, teaching, and learning through play with both my boys, ages 3 and 5months.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #33
chillimom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch!910 View Post
I would personally think families that watched LESS TV would have more vocal/verbal children. And here's my logic: when we have the TV on, we're all sitting silently in the room watching the TV in a trance. When we turn the TV, we are forced to play together, interact with one another, and speak to one another.
I think you're bang on with that. The studies I've seen say families that watch tv talk less to their infants/toddlers, which leads to slower language acquisition. In a case like mine though, I'm not watching tv, I'm tidying, cooking, sewing, or whatever and chattering at dd the whole time. The only time she actually tunes in and watches the tv is during breakfast (she eats in front of the tv while I get ready for work), and for an hour or so during the day with her dad as quiet time. And when they watch tv together they talk about it, dh asks questions etc.
chillimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #34
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
I know.. it may be that there's not a real correlation at all.

I just noticed the huge difference between my friend's child speaking in sentences and making up stories while my child sometimes puts 2 words together (and she's on par for her age group and he's 2 weeks older).

Maybe it's that I'm not so talkative we should do another poll:
-did your child talk early and are you talkative

we did/do read tons and she has books memorized, but it hasn't affected how she verbalizes.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #35
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

I'm very liberal when it comes to my childs TV watching I limit content but as far as how much really they can have it on all day long for all I care and thats pretty much from birth on.. They take advantge of this during certain seasons and pretty much ingnore it in others.. Eaither way they both see/saw a LOT of TV

DD#1 was severely speech delayed and required a lot of therapy *apraxia*
DD#2 (currnt toddler) has a huge vocabulry and shows no signs of any delay

Deanna

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #36
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
not necessarly.. We are a their is ussually a TV radio ect somewhere in the hosue on family and its a small house so not like in soem far of out of site room. Its ALWAYS been like this I tried to limit it at times and frankly it is not us. As a result they are never trance TV watchers they play together ALL the time they use imgination (not just replaying cartoon stuff). We do visit homes where the parents limit the TV and yea I see that trance thing its jsut not that way here. I'm not saying BTW that I'm saying yea everyone leave it on all day but that sometimes when the idea that wait I must sit and stare cause I only get 30 mintues or whatever sometiems disappears when that issue is removed. Personally I would be turning it off much more if I did see that all my kids did were siting and watching TV...

Now the computer that is a whole other issue with my 9 year old who would just sit and stare all day if we didn't limit it so yea gotta know your kids and your own comfort levels.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #37
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just read your original OP and my son is nearing a year and just talking. Not really fit for answering the poll. BUT, I will answer according to my brother and I because I was just discussing this with my mom.

I was not permitted to watch TV except for sporting events while my dad was watching. It was never on otherwise. I talked "on time" and my first words were geared towards things my mom said to me a lot and asking about things ("zat" for "that?" and "zis" for "this?" for what questions) and then basically like you said your daughter would do. My relatives came to visit when I was 15 months old and had the TV on the entire time and my mom says I started to speak complicated sentences. She thinks it was TV exposure, primed by the speech I already had. Nothing else had changed, I had always been around adult conversations.

With my brother - allowed to watch sports stuff with dad, but also watched some TV with me because I am 2.5 years older and by then was allowed to watch 15 minutes per day. Mostly Care Bears. At 13 months my brother said "Where's the puck?" while watching hockey with my dad, which were his first words let alone a sentence, and then began speaking in sentences. He was also obsessed with sharing - like he focused most play on dolls sharing, etc. She really thinks it is TV (and the Care Bears).

Anecdotal, true and true. But I am letting my kid watch a little TV He likes Colin Cowherd in the mornings on ESPN. No clue why.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #38
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

I'm not a really talkative person, we watch WAY too much TV and I spend too much time on the computer. My son wasn't delayed, but he certainly isn't advanced in his speech and usually still is not very easily understood by strangers even though he is 3 years old. Still within normal, but I recognize where we went wrong and I'm trying to watch less TV and spend more time actively interacting, teaching, and learning through play with both my boys, ages 3 and 5months.
Regardless of the reason (which is anyone's guess), you are correct that more TV watching correlates with lower verbal abilities in toddlers. link to one study This does not mean that TV necessarily causes the lower verbal abilities, although that is a possibility. The fact that the numbers on this poll do not seem to agree with the actual study means nothing, since the non-random, tiny, self-selected sample taking part in the poll has absolutely no statistical significance ever in the world. (Just had to throw that in there. )
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #39
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I don't really think it shows causation. There may be a correlation, but I think it's a little all over the place.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #40
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
DD has never been restricted from the TV. She talked late, barely said a handful of words until her explosion just before her second birthday. She has an amazing vocabulary now at almost 5. She might have started late, but she picked it up fast.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote