Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Constipation.

Wow. So... it's been about a week since I've gone to the bathroom, give or take a day or two. I've not yet hit the "uncomfortable" stage... but I'd imagine it's coming soon if I don't do something.

What in the world can I do? I drink gatorade and water, that's it. The problem is, I'm vomiting so much, that I'm not sure how much of it my body is actually holding onto. I eat what I can. That being said, it's not always healthy/full of fiber.

I don't want to take medications... but I need to do something, otherwise, this could get extremely uncomfortable, really soon.

Any tips?

Advertisement

leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Glycerine suppositories? I know you said no meds but dont be a martyr take some dulcalax.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Constipation.

Load up on fruit and fiber. Maybe even take a fiber supplement.

I've never really had this issue in my previous pregnancies, but a few weeks ago it got so bad that I was in real pain. I ended up taking Miralax because I couldn't stand it anymore and I was desperate. It worked within a couple days and I haven't had to take anything again. It was seriously bad! I hope you get some relief.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
Load up on fruit and fiber. Maybe even take a fiber supplement.

I've never really had this issue in my previous pregnancies, but a few weeks ago it got so bad that I was in real pain. I ended up taking Miralax because I couldn't stand it anymore and I was desperate. It worked within a couple days and I haven't had to take anything again. It was seriously bad! I hope you get some relief.
I debated on drinking a cup of coffee. That seems to work fairly well (I've had two cups my entire pregnancy). I'd rather drink a little bit of coffee than take medicine anyway.

Thanks for the tip. I might make a fruit smoothie in a bit and see if that seems to get things moving.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was even trying to eat some dairy to get me moving. I'm lactose intolerant and it gives me a horrible GI reaction. I figured I would eat dairy, then my GI system would freak out and I'd clean myself out. Nope. It clearly didn't like the dairy, but it didn't clean me out either. Personally, I don't drink coffee (though I don't avoid caffeine completely either, just don't like coffee), but if I knew it might get me moving, I'd go for that over meds first. But, in the end, I just couldn't get myself going and had to take the meds.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
I was even trying to eat some dairy to get me moving. I'm lactose intolerant and it gives me a horrible GI reaction. I figured I would eat dairy, then my GI system would freak out and I'd clean myself out. Nope. It clearly didn't like the dairy, but it didn't clean me out either. Personally, I don't drink coffee (though I don't avoid caffeine completely either, just don't like coffee), but if I knew it might get me moving, I'd go for that over meds first. But, in the end, I just couldn't get myself going and had to take the meds.
I will definitely take medicine if it comes down to it. Just wanted to find some other, alternative "tricks" to use first. I will take medicine over having poisonous fecal matter in my body for weeks on end, for sure.

I think I just grossed myself out.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #7
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

Fiber like Benefiber in lots of water.

Probiotics.

A smoothie with yogurt, fruit, ground flaxseeds, and a handful of baby spinach.

A one-time megadose of vitamin C.

The previously mentioned cup of coffee.

If you need meds, stool softeners (Colace) and milk of magnesia are probably the gentlest choices.
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Eat foods on a regular basis that are high in fiber. Constipation is always an issue for me in pregnancy so I eat high fiber foods. Here is a list of foods that have high fiber mostly listed by most fiber to smallest amount; avocados, artichokes, lentils, prunes, oatmeal, most fruits but not bananas. I would add those into your daily foods.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Good advice so far but if you are already backed up try a cup of coffee to get things moving. Even decaf works for me. Then once you get things moving fiber fiber fiber! I ended up with an ( tmi) anal fissure postpartum and it was seriously more painful than pushing out DS. I had to put orajel down there for weeks when I had a bm.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #10
luvsgreen
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Cocoanut milk and pineapple juice mixed. It is a natural laxative on an empty stomach. And lots of vit C. GL

Handmade rustic home decor ~ https://www.facebook.com/asinglesparrow
luvsgreen is offline   Reply With Quote