Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #11
judeabug
Registered Users
seller

Re: Look what I woke up to at 5:30 a.m.!!!!

Oh wow! Before I read your description, I thought maybe she was trying to do some laundry...but I think it's funny that she used the dryer to set herself up a little tray!

My son is younger [3], but a few months ago he woke up at 5am and decided to raid our junk drawer [that is really a cabinet that we thought was too high for him to reach.] He got out scissors, knives, box cutters, lighters, and all sorts of other dangerous items. Thank God he didn't hurt himself, but it was a little scary.

We got him an "alarm clock" where there's a sleeping bunny and and a waking bunny. We set the bunny to "wake up" at 7:00. It took a couple of weeks of reinforcing, and I think we may have put a gate up outside his room for several days, but he's now great at staying at bed. I'm not sure if that'd work as well for an older kiddo, but maybe it'd help?

I know it's scary to imagine your LO up in the middle of the night and all the things they could possibly get into or how they could hurt themselves. I know how frustrating and scary that is!

Advertisement

WAHM behind Serwa Chic:Cloth Diapers, Nursing Covers, Wetbags & Long Sleeve Bibs!My Family Blog: Jenny.erally Speak.ing
judeabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #12
judeabug
Registered Users
seller

Oh wow! Before I read your description, I thought maybe she was trying to do some laundry...but I think it's funny that she used the dryer to set herself up a little tray!

My son is younger [3], but a few months ago he woke up at 5am and decided to raid our junk drawer [that is really a cabinet that we thought was too high for him to reach.] He got out scissors, knives, box cutters, lighters, and all sorts of other dangerous items. Thank God he didn't hurt himself, but it was a little scary.

We got him an "alarm clock" where there's a sleeping bunny and and a waking bunny. We set the bunny to "wake up" at 7:00. It took a couple of weeks of reinforcing, and I think we may have put a gate up outside his room for several days, but he's now great at staying at bed. I'm not sure if that'd work as well for an older kiddo, but maybe it'd help?

I know it's scary to imagine your LO up in the middle of the night and all the things they could possibly get into or how they could hurt themselves. I know how frustrating and scary that is!

WAHM behind Serwa Chic:Cloth Diapers, Nursing Covers, Wetbags & Long Sleeve Bibs!My Family Blog: Jenny.erally Speak.ing
judeabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #13
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

Woohoo! Time to do everything mom says I can't! I love the eaten snacks you can see along the way.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #14
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh man!! The dryer lid/table is ingenious, though. I know you weren't asking for advice, but I could only be upset about the scissors part. I would have her clean up as much as she can and with a reminder about how easy it is for her to get hurt doing stuff like that and then find a different drawer for those items or at magnetic lock.

kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #15
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Holy crap! This momma would've pissed, and laughing

I have my
House set up that none of my kids an leave the sleeping wing without me heari g. I sleep so lightly!! I would just cry if my DS did that!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #16
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Wooow. That is something! I'm torn between 1) going full on bananas with locks or gates on her door, or 2) just letting her run her bad self. With option 1 I worry it would create more fights and become a control issue, but with option 2 I hate losing that control. I sort of like the idea of making a game out of this by hiding *healthy* snacks and stuff in her room, clearly labelled with her name, and explain to her that she is not allowed out of her room at night for safety reasons, but there are special snacks just for her hidden in her room. Of course then there's the risk you'll wake up to her room being torn apart looking for the snacks. Then again, if you lock her in her room she might tear it up out of frustration anyway. Sigh.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #17
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

My kids have started dabbling in the idea of getting into food before we wake up. I *always* hear them when they wake up b/c they have to open their bedroom doors, and they are SO LOUD. Plus, my kids just don't have the "sneaky" in 'em yet.

I hear them wake up and I listen and I can tell what they are doing. This morning, my 5.5 yr old got up, dressed herself, went potty, and then fed the cat and dog.

Other mornings, I can hear them trying to get on the counters. Then we usually intervene before they get real far, and they get into trouble. There are certain snacks they can reach in the fridge that they can have pretty much any time of day IF THEY ASK FIRST (string cheese, fruit, etc). But we are pretty strict with the asking rule here. So far it has worked for us. But I am sure that won't last forever.

I'm so sorry mama. Is this the first time she's done something like this?
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #18
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
Is this the first time she's done something like this?
Sadly, no.
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #19
Mokzie
Registered Users

My Mood:

When my little one was 2 she got up early, and I woke up early smelling something... only to see her standing by my bedside covered head to two in LOTION!! Came out to find the bathroom also COVERED in lotion as well as the door, the hallway, the living room, her bed and numerous other nooks and crannies... now that I look back a year and a half later, I chuckle.. Then there was the time she emptied an entire large bottle of baby powder over her head, body, face and LIVING ROOM RUG while I was in the shower and Daddy fell asleep on the couch... memories.. Take pictures like you did, definitely worth the laughs later on!
Mokzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #20
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
Sadly, no.
I'm sorry mama.

I was hoping it was some sort of test of her boundaries or something that could be dissuaded with some discipline.

I hope you guys can find a solution. I like the idea of giving her access to healthy snacks that she can get on her own... maybe even some "unhealthier" ones - like trail mix with choco chips or something...
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote