Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2012, 06:46 AM   #11
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Chicken Moma chat thread. Share, Q&A, all things chicken! <3 October <3

We don't really winterize our coop. But, our coop is inside a barn. We built it into an old horse stall. The only area we need to winterize is one side which is open air (wire) for the warm weather. It opens into the barn itself, but we do put wood and insulators on that wall to cut drafts. Otherwise, we do thick litter (which holds the warmth) and ensure it is draft free. We close the pop door at night in the winter (in the summer it stays open overnight, as it opens into a secure run).

We do not heat the coop because I have read that you have to be careful with condensation. If there is condensation in the coop from changing temps chances of frostbite are higher, from my understanding.

Oh, the other thing I have read about, too, is watching the size of your roosts. If your temps get very low, your roosts need to be big enough that the birds are sitting more on their feet, vs feet wrapped around the roost. I guess when they are fluffed up, roosting on their feet, their feet are protected from frostbite. But, if their feet are wrapped around a thinner roost, they can get frostbitten toes.

Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #12
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lol, we must have read much of the same blogs, lol.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #13
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

liz, have you contemplated letting your roo know who's boss. Kind of like a dog, he feels the need to dominate. My grandpa had chickens. My dad told me his dad went out one day with a towel and caught the roo, wrapped him in the towel and pinned him. Scared the crap out of the roo and he never chased anyone again.
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:35 AM   #14
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
Lol, we must have read much of the same blogs, lol.

I meant to say, too, about waterers... I was going to construct one of the cookie tin style waterers. Then DH went out and bought me a plug in heated waterer. It works great. I have that and another waterer in the coop. In the winter, I bring the unheated one into the porch at night, and then fill it and return it in the morning.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #15
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How sweet of him, aw!!!! What a thoughtfull lovey! Ray's present was these fancy HUGE waterer and feeder. So I didn't have to fill as often. I wonder if I put the waterer in the dang coop if it would stay unfrozen, haha! I think I'm gonna do the tin. I just worry about adding another power coard. We use those huge orange extension coards to get power out there. Have to save up to get the correct wire to run electric that far. Ugh.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 10-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #16
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
How sweet of him, aw!!!! What a thoughtfull lovey! Ray's present was these fancy HUGE waterer and feeder. So I didn't have to fill as often. I wonder if I put the waterer in the dang coop if it would stay unfrozen, haha! I think I'm gonna do the tin. I just worry about adding another power coard. We use those huge orange extension coards to get power out there. Have to save up to get the correct wire to run electric that far. Ugh.
Power is a pain. Because our coop is in the barn, there is water and power there already, thank goodness. But, we do have to shut off the water for the winter.

And, yes, DH is a sweetie. LOL These birds were supposed to be his. They were his dream originally. Somehow, somehow... they became my birds.

Last edited by Geckmumto3; 10-02-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #17
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lol. The chickens have always been a dream for me, never the right time though. It's finally possible and we love them. They do eat and poo an awfull lot, haha! Jk. I think Ray is afraid of likeing them more because they may end up dinner. I'm kinda the processor in the family. Tomboy all the way. If I didn't have a bf to take me hunting, I just took myself. The down fall is I'm the one who ends up cleaning everything. ;/ Oh well. I don't mind it. I actually enjoy it. May sound odd unless you are either the same way or hunt/fish. Ray was brought up commercial fishing, not really much experience processing other animals or raiseing them. I don't mind a bit doing that part. Because of my disabilities, he has to do the har work now. We actually do everything as a team. Like cleaning the roos: he manages the wood stove and carried the huge pot out to me at the correct temp, then right back again. He even had to help me catch the largest roo, he got tore up. I just couldn't catch dagnab Booboo chicken. he was surely a tough dude! Took up 10 mins to catch, and that was in the run enclosed!

I'm seriously wondering about the water. We have to be SUPER carefull about outside lines. I don't know how badly the fawset at the back may freeze. I sure don't wanna food with pails from the house. I will be sure to drain the hose, but that hookup, no clue. We have only been in this house a yr and didn't use the hose last winter. What do you do about the water needed at the barn?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #18
Happy Mommax4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I also don't do much winterizing, I've read the same thing about the heat light and also that chickens put out enough. Anyway my girls did well last year.

We butchered three roosters a few weeks ago, at their prime. They didn't have much meat and it was tough. Makes u wonder what they do to the ones that end up in the grocery store?

Attachment 121198

So there's my new gardening shed/coop. Ill take more pics then of the inside. It's divided in there, also it's not quite finished, I have to paint the door, fix the top and put the windows in.

Attachment 121199

Here are some of the girls and of course sparky our buff brahma roo who doesn't crow?!?!?

We do wood chips and straw, w/o any odor issues. I def don't clean it twice a day either. I did send the hubs that waterer link!

But now my girls aren't laying in there boxes, I can't even find any eggs!! What the heck!! Just moved them last w/e I did have a few eggs since then so I don't know what's going on. Ill have to make sure they're not hiding them, that does happen sometimes!

Oh btw I'm Chloe, we leave in north eastern pa, we've had our oldest girls almost two years now. And a total of 18 all together, our others are from this march and the summer. Our barred rocks from march are just starting to lay.

Last edited by Happy Mommax4; 10-25-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Happy Mommax4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #19
Happy Mommax4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I've always been worried about our outside water as well. Luckily we put our efm coal furnace in the third bay of our garage/barn and that heats that room. Then my hubs installed a utility sink w hot/cold water so I just fill from there.

Last yr we didn't have a Warner I just gave them fresh water everyday.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #20
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

DH ends up doing most of the processing for us right now, as he worked a chicken farm when he was younger. He is just more efficient. I had zero experience. I don't mind it, I just am very slow.... And I am thrilled we have the chickens, but everyone teases us because they were his thing when we moved out to the farm. And now, they are all my babies.

Quote:

I'm seriously wondering about the water. We have to be SUPER carefull about outside lines. I don't know how badly the fawset at the back may freeze. I sure don't wanna food with pails from the house. I will be sure to drain the hose, but that hookup, no clue. We have only been in this house a yr and didn't use the hose last winter. What do you do about the water needed at the barn?
We trek it down. We have a big trough at the barn for rainwater, and if it is not a crazy cold winter, we chop the top of it with an ax and use that water. Otherwise, I fill at the house and bring it to the barn. When FIL ran the farm, he kept horses in the barn and he used the water to the barn all winter long. Well, the first winter we were here, one of the lines burst from freezing, so we shut it down in the late fall now. I suppose if we had more livestock down there, other than chickens, we might figure out a solution.