Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
I would find a new group.

It sounds like the parents have their minds made up to be judgemental towards you - that's not fun for anyone.

and I'd let your husband talk to the council.

this is really sad for your little boy.

The only part of your letter that bugged me is the part about this being one of a few things he excels at. I am sure that he excels at tons of things - they may not be the common things that other kids do - but I'm sure he's great - or will be great - in so many areas. It just sounds like you're not giving him credit. I know you don't mean that.. just pointing out - it made me cringe.
I know I cringed when I re read it also. I did not mean it that way. There is just not much he is proud of him self for. He was picked on in base ball and soccer because he was not as good as everyone, people make fun of the way he talk ( speech and the way he words things), he has a hard time at school, etc. . But there are many things he is great at, but he does not see it that way. This is something he is proud of.

Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #12
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: How would you deal with this?

I know you didn't mean it that way

what is that saying? everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.

he sounds like he has the makings of a very successful businessman

anyways, he and you deserve to be in a troop that treats you better, works more as a team, etc. The whole point of those things is to make lifelong friends and learn skills.

I can't stand parents like the ones you're dealing with.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #13
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
I know you didn't mean it that way

what is that saying? everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.

I absolutely LOVE that. I have never heard that before
Old 10-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #14
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think your letter is perfect!

Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #15
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

Yep, take him to the show and sales. And let him get the credit/sales for it. Groups like this (scouts, etc) are supposed to show inclusion. If they were trying to exclude my kid, I wouldn't let them. If other parents get mad, it's their own problem. Send him. Tell him to have fun and do his best. If other parents complain, politely tell them where they can shove it.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #16
Tordreamer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmonkeysmommy1 View Post
I just sent this email to the cub master

Hey. Robbie cried himself to sleep last night when I told him that he could not do show and sales any longer. He brought up a very good point. He said that the cub scout motto is to do your best. And that he was being penalized for doing just that. He is tired of doing door to door sales, and wants to do show and sales with his friends because it is fun. By keeping him from doing that, the scouts are penalizing him for working hard and doing the part that many do not want to do. Now he does not get to do the fun part.
That is teaching him that if you work hard and do your
part, that the ones that slack ( for a lack of a better term, whether it be because they do not want to or can not fit it into their busy schedules), get to take the easy road and have fun, excluding the ones that DID work hard. That is not something that I want to teach him, and I am sure that is not the message that the scouts want to send out either.
I will not be taking him to all of the show and sales, but if wants to go to some, I will be taking him. If any of the parents are upset enough to gossip behind my back about a misconception they may have, please send them to me instead of letting them hide behind Judy.
There is not much Robbie excels at, but this is something that he does, and he is proud of. I am not taking that away from him. It may not seem like a big deal to parents that have kids that excel at many things, but it is to me.
I know that it is hard to read the tone of a written message, but please know that I do not mean this to be nasty or mean in spirit
Good for you!!
Tordreamer is offline   Reply With Quote