Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #41
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dave Ramsey Support Thread Oct 1 - Oct 7

I to would go home and see family. We did that once a year while paying off debt and I felt it was needed. Now, before we were out of debt we were going 3-4 times a year (and it was costing a lot). Now that we are out of debt again we are going twice a year. But mainly just because traveling with a LO is so much harder. We try to drive it once in the summer and then fly at Christmas when the roads are bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post
I am really struggling this week.

First, the heater doesn't work. So we are going to have to get the furnace/ac unit fixed before November.

Second, I went to the store sunday night to buy wipes and when I got back in my car, it wouldn't start. I went back, got a mini-cup of haagendaz, ate it, tried again and it started with a little difficulty. So then I was driving yesterday and any time I was doing 35mph or lower, it was lurching all over the place. It does that, but usually only after I've been driving for about an hour.

So my car's KBB trade in right now is $2300 in fair condition or $2750 in good condition. We've put over 1k into it in the past year. New tires, new plugs, new belts. The sun roof leaks, the transmission doesn't work properly (would be almost 6k to replace) and the guys at my local shop won't even look at the sunroof to fix the leak. I'm losing it. I just want to cry. I have the money to buy a cheap car OR get the heater fixed. Not both. We've been debt free for like one month and now all this crap is raining down on us... of course, right after I splurged and bought new dishes and pans. Not that $175 would make a HUGE difference in this situation lol.
Good luck. I understand the frustration. When my brand new (to me) car started having isses and needed $1K worth of work in the first three months of ownership, I cried a lot. Now I"m just ready to part ways with it and move on.

Advertisement

slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #42
hsleonard
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pester View Post
I'd like to join if I can. I have a few questions. We are current on our bills and the only debt we have is my student loans and our house. Where do student loans fall? Mine are over 100,000. Doctorate degree. So not something that will be quick to pay off.

My thoughts were to keep paying it like normal and work on building savings and emergency funds first.

Then do you guys have any good resources on making budgets? I always get bogged down and lost. I also struggle to plan as my income is sooo variable. Thanks.
List them out individually. DR says any loan that is half of your yearly income gets moved to step 6. If you have ones that fall below that put them in step 2...pay minimums on everything but the smallest, put as much money as you can towards it each month, once it is done move onto the next.
My total student loan debt was around 71K we put it in our debt SB with everything else because the individual loans were smaller than 1/2 our yearly income
Quote:
Originally Posted by igotmywings View Post
I am going to go ahead and jump ahead on this thread.... About 4 months ago I completly and totally payed off my JCP card (thank god!) and my Student Loan. This month I put 1000 towards my CC1. Currently my balances look like

CC1 2457.55
CC2 bearly 4500
Student Loan #1 1,763.07
Student Loan #2 7500 (roughly)

I am in a bit of a predicament through. This month I recieved roughly an extra 300 from a bonus at work. I can either buy a ticket home at the end of october OR I can put it towards my CC. ....My mother is not in the greatest condition and neither is my dad nore my other family members...I am so torn over this! a ticket home for 4 days is around 400 bucks...The other 100 would NOT go on a CC and I have some spending cash and I have vacation days I would need to use anyways or else I loose them..buut then I go back to I really should pay off my stupid CC..UGH! I have no other debt (besides the mortgage) but SO takes care of that. I am putting roughly 500 a month towards my debts (sometimes more!) Next month I am recieived an extra 440 dollar bonus...sooo if I combined the two thats nearly an extra 800 towards CC1!! if not its only an extra 400 or so
I don't think 400 is going to make or break you here so go with your heart. I wouldn't make a habit out of it, but if you can pay cash I would do it. We have saved and payed cash for vacations while in BS2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids4me View Post
How much are we supposed to have for life insurance?
10x your income or if you are a stay at home mom 10x what it would cost in childcare at a bare minimum. Honestly the cost doesn't change that much if you get more, DH and I both got the same amount. mine is a bit more than 10x but if something were to happen to me DH would need more $ for extra childcare etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by pester View Post
My loans aren't consolidated. Not by me anyway. Sorry one of my pet peeves is how they can combine sell split and generally mess with your loans all without telling you or asking permission. I have one mega one then a really small one(2,000ish) and a mid sized one(15,000ish). I was thinking of tackling the small one but just making standard payments on the other two while I get a head start on our ef. The only thing is it has the lowest interest rate of everything. Which means it should be last but I so want to just pay something off. I send off the last car payment next month. The satisfaction of getting somewhere is what keeps all the hard work worth it.
Don't worry about interest rate, go smallest to largest. DR stresses that. while it doesn't make sense mathematically, it helps with the behavior and keeps you focused

AFM: I am tackling a new adventure to help out with or SB. I decided to give a direct sales job a try. I made $104 on my first party so I am hopeful. I don't think it is something I will be able to grow into a great income, but a few hundred dollars a month would be awesome
Thirty-one gifts
Come swag with me!!! I have earned over $100 in amazon gift cards so far
Zycon Foods -"saving money on high-quality food products."
hsleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #43
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I spent a little time crying in the bathroom, pulled myself together and started to clean the laundry room out so that a HVAC guy can visit our furnace comfortably. I am praying it is small, inexpensive fix, but our unit is 25 years old.

And I can live without a car for a while if it quits completely. We will have to drop out of homeschool co-op and I will have to learn to drive a temperamental stick shift. But sh!t happens and we need to be warm this winter more than I need to go places 5 days a week. We will save money and hopefully get a tax refund in February. If not, we will save up some more.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #44
hsleonard
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I spent a little time crying in the bathroom, pulled myself together and started to clean the laundry room out so that a HVAC guy can visit our furnace comfortably. I am praying it is small, inexpensive fix, but our unit is 25 years old.

And I can live without a car for a while if it quits completely. We will have to drop out of homeschool co-op and I will have to learn to drive a temperamental stick shift. But sh!t happens and we need to be warm this winter more than I need to go places 5 days a week. We will save money and hopefully get a tax refund in February. If not, we will save up some more.
That is a great attitude Keep up the positive thinking
Thirty-one gifts
Old 10-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #45
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Can someone tell me- dr recommends stockpiling for the 9 months you are pregnant and then resuming debt payoff upon birth barring no unusual circumstances, right?
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #46
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

I really need your attitude to rub off on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4More View Post
Can someone tell me- dr recommends stockpiling for the 9 months you are pregnant and then resuming debt payoff upon birth barring no unusual circumstances, right?
Yes. If you dont need it for medical stuff then you'll have a big chunk to put down on debt
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #47
hsleonard
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4More View Post
Exactly!!!! That way you aren't really loosing any ground (maybe some interest) just delaying the payoff, and if for some reason you may need it, you will have it.
Just be careful to keep it as a Emergency stockpile, not a "oh isn't that cute for the baby" pile
Thirty-one gifts
Old 10-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #48
Heather1583
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quick question: how do you guys divide up the grocery $ for the month? I decided to go with $400. Today, I spent $130. I used a bunch of coupons, foodperks, etc.. I stocked up on cereal, deodorant, rice, etc with that trip, in addition to our essentials. I don't intend for it to be that high for the rest of the month. I am thinking (based on failed practices of the past) that we would be better dividing the $ up per week. But this month is weird, it would make 5 shopping trips, not 4 weeks...
It is also difficult to take advantage of sales and coupons to stock up on this plan. Some months we would spend more than others because of shopping at Sams Club. Every month or two we go there and buy a couple packs of chicken breast, and we also go randomly to a restaurant depot in our city for seafood, etc. It just seems like such a PIA to prorate these purchases over the year, but I don't know how else to do it...
Hopefully we won't need to buy anything but some chicken and seafood at times for the rest of this year, because we are splitting a pig and a half of a cow with my dad. It is so much cheaper to get those products in that way. But I guess I have to prorate those animals too!
I am hoping with this month we get back on track and I can show my husband that I can stick with it this time. We aren't doing bad by any means, I pretty much stay at home, I am a nurse on Sundays only my Dh works all week. He gets depressed when he see that we aren't really "getting anywhere". But he forgets what we do...we put up a $2000 fence this year (he did it himself), and got a new car. Both boys are in preschool now, doubling the tuition. Thankfully ds1 goes to k next year. So we get a year before it goes back to 2 kids in preschool when dd goes! Jeez.
Our only debts are our house (which we have lived in 5 years, and we have paid half of it off ) and our Chevy traverse we got in January to haul our entourage. But I want to get our butts in gear for saving for college, my retirement (since I don't really work much? Any one have a suggestion there? ) and maybe start investing in property, which is what my Dh really wants to get to. Maybe that's why he is so depressed about it. One of his friends already is, but his friends wife also works...
Old 10-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #49
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather1583
Quick question: how do you guys divide up the grocery $ for the month? I decided to go with $400. Today, I spent $130. I used a bunch of coupons, foodperks, etc.. I stocked up on cereal, deodorant, rice, etc with that trip, in addition to our essentials. I don't intend for it to be that high for the rest of the month. I am thinking (based on failed practices of the past) that we would be better dividing the $ up per week. But this month is weird, it would make 5 shopping trips, not 4 weeks...
It is also difficult to take advantage of sales and coupons to stock up on this plan. Some months we would spend more than others because of shopping at Sams Club. Every month or two we go there and buy a couple packs of chicken breast, and we also go randomly to a restaurant depot in our city for seafood, etc. It just seems like such a PIA to prorate these purchases over the year, but I don't know how else to do it...
Hopefully we won't need to buy anything but some chicken and seafood at times for the rest of this year, because we are splitting a pig and a half of a cow with my dad. It is so much cheaper to get those products in that way. But I guess I have to prorate those animals too!
I am hoping with this month we get back on track and I can show my husband that I can stick with it this time. We aren't doing bad by any means, I pretty much stay at home, I am a nurse on Sundays only my Dh works all week. He gets depressed when he see that we aren't really "getting anywhere". But he forgets what we do...we put up a $2000 fence this year (he did it himself), and got a new car. Both boys are in preschool now, doubling the tuition. Thankfully ds1 goes to k next year. So we get a year before it goes back to 2 kids in preschool when dd goes! Jeez.
Our only debts are our house (which we have lived in 5 years, and we have paid half of it off ) and our Chevy traverse we got in January to haul our entourage. But I want to get our butts in gear for saving for college, my retirement (since I don't really work much? Any one have a suggestion there? ) and maybe start investing in property, which is what my Dh really wants to get to. Maybe that's why he is so depressed about it. One of his friends already is, but his friends wife also works...
What we do for food is I set aside $600 a month (family of six, I'm pregnant and therefor crave a lot of cheese which drives up the bill, and DH has to eat a LOT due to an extremely fast matabilism). The 10th of each month (first pay day) I make a meal plan for the entire month, plus first nine days of the next month. I add an extra three meals just in case we really don't want what we planned, and what I have found works best is not to plan on xyz on this day, but instead make a list and cross it off as we use it. Much more likely to stick to this! Anyway, when planning the meals I try to stick to stuff we can at least mostly make from what we already have, so I have to buy as little as possible for this. Then everything I need for our meal plan, enough pet food/cat litter to last the month, and anything we buy in bulk and are running low on (pasta, oatmeal, flour, sugar, rice...) gets purchased the 10th. I try to keep this under $300, which typically is not too hard. Then the other $300 I use to buy fresh produce each week as well as shop sales to stock up on things we normally use when they are cheap. Some months we have money left, other months we don't, it all depends on how many sales there are.

My advice for your Sam's Club/restaurant depot trips would be make this a different category on your budget. If you go every two months and typically spend $100, put aside $50 each month for that. That way you aren't using up so much of your grocery budget every time you go. It is up to you if you take this out of your monthly food budget or have this in addition to your food budget.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #50
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
I really need your attitude to rub off on me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsleonard View Post
That is a great attitude Keep up the positive thinking

Thanks ladies. My attitude has needed adjusting for several years and lately, as part of my personal 'transformation' I've been trying to be more positive. I am a total pessimist in general. But I have been trying really hard to look on the bright side. I will be really frustrated about co-op if we do wind up quitting though because I just spent over $100 on it and DD loves it so much.