Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2012, 12:44 AM   #21
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Lost toy at sitter's house, advice?

Umm, are you going to pay her for spending more of her time doing toy hunting services for you? It sounds like you already got an extra 20 min of her time for free, how much more do you want?

I would just buy him another train.

Advertisement

raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:52 AM   #22
Patchworktiner
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It's a freaking train. Get over it.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:34 AM   #23
Ashleah143
Registered Users

I would go buy another but I would seriously be so mad. That's just me.
Ashleah143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:36 AM   #24
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleah143 View Post
I would go buy another but I would seriously be so mad. That's just me.
Can I ask who you would be mad at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post
Does she have kids of her own that were there, too? If so, I'd be assuming one of them decided they liked the train and hid it to keep for themselves.
Not much you can do about it either way, really. Just an unfortunate consequence of taking things around to others' houses.
Really? Would people really assume the childcare provider's children stole the missing toy? Rather than a normal kid misplacing his toy and forgetting where it is, you would assume malice on the part of other kids?

I always tell parents to take toys home. If kids are obsessing over and clutching a hot wheel or a train or whatever, they are not doing what they should be doing with friends--- playing with two hands in a carefree manner.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #25
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

I'm with the others that have said consider it a loss. I don't let my kids take toys anywhere other grandparents houses on vacation. I'm not down with the whole let's bring toys to a place where there are toys, it just seems destined to fail. They will bring them in the car and leave them there.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #26
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Sorry for your lost train.
I used to do home daycare. This is why I didn't allow outside toys. Things get found in some of the strangest places months after they are lost.
I wouldn't be upset with her.
mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #27
Ashleah143
Registered Users

[QUOTE="Geckmumto3"]

I would be mad in general but also upset with the sitter. Mainly because if she was watching my one child I would suspect she would be playing with him and keeping an eye on him the whole time. There should be by room for "lost toys". This would make me think she wasn't doing a great job watching him. I would also be upset with her not getting back to me. It's not "just a train" as someone else said. It's that child's train which they have make a "bond" with. Children favor certain toys and the sitter should keep looking or AT LEAST reply saying she hasn't found it or offer to buy a new one. I would never let her but a nice sitter would offer. I guess that's just me... I would be overall really distort with the whole situation.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #28
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 View Post

Really? Would people really assume the childcare provider's children stole the missing toy? Rather than a normal kid misplacing his toy and forgetting where it is, you would assume malice on the part of other kids?

I always tell parents to take toys home. If kids are obsessing over and clutching a hot wheel or a train or whatever, they are not doing what they should be doing with friends--- playing with two hands in a carefree manner.
love the bolded!
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #29
doodah
Registered Users
seller

[QUOTE=Ashleah143;15762874]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3

I would be mad in general but also upset with the sitter. Mainly because if she was watching my one child I would suspect she would be playing with him and keeping an eye on him the whole time. There should be by room for "lost toys". This would make me think she wasn't doing a great job watching him. I would also be upset with her not getting back to me. It's not "just a train" as someone else said. It's that child's train which they have make a "bond" with. Children favor certain toys and the sitter should keep looking or AT LEAST reply saying she hasn't found it or offer to buy a new one. I would never let her but a nice sitter would offer. I guess that's just me... I would be overall really distort with the whole situation.
Did the OP say he was even the only kid there? There were AT LEAST the providers kids there from my understanding and possibly more kids. It wasnt just him. Even if it was, it is just ridiculous to say that a sitter should have her eye on him at ALL times. I am assuming if you have this expectation of your sitter, that you are always watching your own children at all times.....nothing ever gets lost, nothing bad ever happens, you never make any mistakes.....goodness, your expectations are so high that who can live up to that? My own kids lose things all the time, get little bumps and bruises, get into mischief....I guess that makes me a bad mom and a bad sitter since the same things occasionally happen with my daycare kids. Also, the provider DID get back to the OP just not as fast as the OP wanted. She DID help look for it...what else is she supposed to do? Sending hourly messages and detail each place she looked? This woman watches who knows how many kids. Maybe she has a huge number of daycare kids during the week. Again, it is unreal expectation to expect her to replace EVERY lost item for every child in her care. Where is the parents responsibility in this? Mom brought the toy and sent little one in with it so there was a risk in doing that.

This post really irritated me and I will be honest in saying that it is comments like this that exhaust and burn out people in the childcare fields....daycare workers, teachers and such. Parents expect perfection and a person makes ONE mistake and a parent is willing to rip their child out a daycare or school. the mom said the child did fine while there and she seemed happy with the service otherwise. Wouldnt it do MORE harm than good to find yet another sitter rather than keep him at a place where she knows he already had at least one good experience (outside of a lost toy which may still turn up)?

Last edited by doodah; 10-03-2012 at 07:47 AM.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #30
Ashleah143
Registered Users

I got asked why I would be mad and I explained. This is going to far. I simply stated I would be mad but that's just me and then I explained like someone asked me to. From what I gathered the parents wanted To go to a concert and paid a sitter. I would assume she was only watching there DS. If a baby sitter was only watching 1 child why wouldn't they keep and eye on them at all times? I have 4 kids and I do a pretty good job at keep my eyes on them and when or if I only had one kid with me especially someone else's I would leave them alone I would be playing with them and I wouldn't just leave them. Like I said before that's just my opinion no need to get upset.

Last edited by Ashleah143; 10-03-2012 at 10:24 AM.