Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #31
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Re: Peanut allergy from just being breathed on in young infant - what am I in for???

If you can find Wowbutter, it is by far the best pb substitute I have tasted yet. It is sold at superstore and walmart here I think. It even comes with stickers you can put on a lunch box so schools don't think you are sending pb sandwiches!

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #32
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Peanut allergy from just being breathed on in young infant - what am I in for???

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwick View Post
If you can find Wowbutter, it is by far the best pb substitute I have tasted yet. It is sold at superstore and walmart here I think. It even comes with stickers you can put on a lunch box so schools don't think you are sending pb sandwiches!
Makes excellent cookies and "peanut butter" desserts too
Old 10-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #33
NYCVeg
Registered Users
seller

I really like Sungold Sunbutter as a pb substitute. If tree nuts are okay, there's a brand of almond butter called Barney Butter which is safe for peanut-allergic kids.
NYCVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #34
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom1mg View Post
Has anyone else ever had this happen to them, know someone it has happened to? Will DD have to live in a bubble???
A friend in Ottawa, ON went thru this same thing this past March or April (except babe was 4 mo old & it was her who breathed on him not siblings). Within a week or two they had the allergist appmt and started removing PB & other nuts from the home.

She is fairly laid back about it (not unsafe, just not freaking out at all, she is a Dr herself, not sure if that plays a part in it) and her LO has had a second reaction since (still just hives & some swelling on the outside of the mouth).

I'll check with her later to see what tips she may have to pass on. Let me know if there are any specific questions you have that she could answer - I'll check if she's willing to share her addy with you. Please do be careful with Epipen use with such young infants!

Fortunately lots of places have gone nut-free/peanut-free and with awareness raising it is getting safer out there. (All the programming spaces I attend have nut-free policies, and myself & my friends don't ever take nuts to parks b/c of awareness.)

GL!

Last edited by MsGiggles; 10-03-2012 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Baby brain; grammar not good. ;)
MsGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #35
mekat
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom1mg View Post
Ok so here is our update --
The allergist freaked that we weren't going to be going in until Nov and got us in on Thursday. The receptionist warned me that they likely won't test DD since she is just barely 5 months but they will "teach me what to do". So I am thinking we are getting a script for pens. My insurance will cover an unlimited number per year, 4 at a time, free. So if I am right about getting the script I will get 4 on Thurs. We are semi rural - it is faster for me to drive DD myself to the hospital OR at least to the freeway then it is for me to wait for medical attention to get to me. This winter it took 30 minutes for them to arrive - then another 30 minutes to get my MIL who was having trouble breathing to hospital. Another time it took TWO HOURS for them to arrive for DS - so we cancelled and drove him ourselves after waiting. There is a volunteer fire hall in town but I don't know if they carry an allergy kit - I will call tomorrow. One thing that I never though of when we decided to buy a farm ... I used to live 6 minutes from a hospital.
In your case you may want to talk to the fire department. Sometimes if they have a high risk person in their responding zone they will start a file on them and also talk to you about their emergency response procedures.

My son is not an allergy kiddo but he does have many high risk conditions. He choked on vomit and stopped breathing repeatedly when he was 10 months old. There was just no way I could contemplate driving him to the hospital because doing so would have meant leaving him with no one able to clear his mouth and check his breathing (everything turned out fine and he is now 8 years old) but I just wanted to warn you driving when a child that is incredibly unstable could prove fatal since you won't be able to drive and perform any life saving procedures.
mekat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #36
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom1mg

Yep that is the plan. Incidentally we decided THIS WEEK to move to a whole food diet. I've been slipping since DH is working more/more kids/MUCH further to go to the store and I've found that we are eating more and more prepared foods. So it is one less huge stress since I was going to do this anyway. Now the only big issue is my just turned three year old is having MAJOR peanut butter withdrawl. I'll be looking for some peabutter next time I go to the store.
Good to hear things moved quickly with the allergist.
Good luck with the peanut-free home. Jam sandwiches it is, lol!
Wishing you well.
HugeBabyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote