View Poll Results: First child speech skills:tv watching opportunities
My child was very verbal at an early age and tv was not restricted in our home (more than 1hr a day) 46 36.51%
My child was very verbal at an early age and tv was restricted in our home (nonexistent/30mins) 35 27.78%
My child was NOT verbal at an early age and tv was not restricted in our home (more than 1hr a day) 24 19.05%
My child was NOT verbal at an early age and tv was very restricted in our home (nonexistent/30mins) 15 11.90%
Other, because there's always an other. 6 4.76%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #51
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Re: Poll: First Children - TV and Speech

Only one kiddo here, and at 18 months she is quite the chatterbox. She doesn't watch tv or movies. Most of her words are picked up from the books we read over and over again.

Advertisement

Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #52
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Poll: First Children - TV and Speech

it is funny.. DD and I read a lot. She has tons of books memorized, you can stop on the page and she'll fill in the next word for you.

but it doesn't translate into conversational speech.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #53
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

I have an example of both. DN (who is now 7) talked like crazy and very clearly at a young age (sentences well before 2). My sister lived with my parents while he was a baby and they had the tv on a LOT. But, DS also was advanced speech-wise -- well ahead of the other kids in his class at daycare -- and we didn't let him watch anything at all until he was 18 months, and after that we still restrict tv a lot (I've gotten less restrictive the past 6 months, but he still watches only a few shows/movies a week). While I suspect there is some impact, I personally think personality and aptitude is a larger factor.