Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
Formerly: laubear
seller
seller

My Mood:
They placed cervidil on my cervix to start the process of induction and I gave birth less than 2 hours later. I wasn't dilated or contacting.

I was able to have a med free birth.

Good luck mama!

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #12
Terra76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Possible induction for high BP and really nervous

let me pre-face by saying I don't have nor have i ever had bp issues.

I have noticed that on days that i eat watermelon before my appt. my bp is lower than days than i don't. http://www.fitpregnancy.com/nutritio...rmelon-wonders This article doesn't specifically say that it helps with bp but it talks about having a high amount of potassium which does lower blood pressure. Plus watermelon has tons of good stuff in it and tastes yummy too!

Also, Evening primrose oil can lower your bp. It another one of those things that is really good for women in general including mamas to be

I am due to be induced on Monday and although this will be my 3rd induction, 4th baby I am totally afraid of ending up with a c-section too.
Terra76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #13
finleyjudemommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
Thanks Elena. I actually totally agree with everything you said. I suspect that even if they induce, I'll have no problem having a vaginal delivery because my body is ready. There is still that fear though. After having 5 kids, including 2 sets of twins (against the odds and rare) vaginally, my biggest fear is a c-sec for my last baby. (Of course, a healthy baby is more important. Not saying that.)

I see what you are saying about AROM. I'm going to have my OB check me on Thursday to see what my cervix is doing. (My 6, about to turn 7, year old had to be with me yesterday. I wanted to ask to be checked, but I just didn't feel comfortable with him there.) I'm not sure I'm going to be 5 already, but who knows, maybe I will. I'm thinking 3, maybe 4. But, it's hard to base it on my history since I have 2 sets of twins previously to compare it to.

The OB I saw yesterday was saying he would use cytotech (or however you spell that drug). He thought they could get me going without pit which is what I would prefer. He said I would still be able to move and walk around. But, we'll see what happens.

My kids are really acting up today and that is definitely not helping my BP.

I'm nervous, but I'm actually not stressing as much as it sounds like. I will be honest and admit that there is a big part of me that would be totally fine with letting them get this baby out. I'm ready now and I really don't want to wait much longer.
I don't really have any advice for you Heather...I've had pit with my twins and my 5 year old and I was fine and progressed. Twins were induced at 8 ish (in the morning) and Baby B was out by 11:28 am (vaginally) and my 5 year old was induced maybe around 9 ish (in the morning) and she was here at 1:47 pm.

I had the medication your doc told you he would give you when I gave birth to my stillborn son. They told me it would take 24-48 hours...it took 4 hours and 29 minutes.....

You will certainly be in my thoughts!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #14
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Please be sure to research Cyctotec before you agree to it. Cervadil is MADE for inducing/ripening the cervix and is safer (from my research).

I have no experience with c/s or inductions. I would not easily consent to either. I've never had any issues. So, it is really hard for me to give any advice or help.

I hope you are able to birth your babies naturally and in a way that makes you feel like you got the best birth you could have!
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #15
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

I've had PIH/pre-e issues with my previous pregnancies and my best advice is when you go to your appointment tomorrow, go by yourself (no kiddos), and get there 15 minutes or so early. It will give your body time to relax. Maybe you were just stressed at your appointment, and that caused a higher than normal reading. Good Luck.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #16
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemariep View Post
I've had PIH/pre-e issues with my previous pregnancies and my best advice is when you go to your appointment tomorrow, go by yourself (no kiddos), and get there 15 minutes or so early. It will give your body time to relax. Maybe you were just stressed at your appointment, and that caused a higher than normal reading. Good Luck.
I have a history of this 2 of my past 2 pregnancies also. I've definitely had high BP that was a higher reading because of whatever, but this wasn't. I know because my husband is a PT and is able to take my BP at home. Last night when he took it right before bed it was 156/90. It has ALWAYS been lower at home. In fact, this is the first time in 3 pregnancies that it wasn't lower at home. However, I'm not bringing any kids with me tomorrow. I'll arrive early hope to relax before they call me back, but they'll probably be ready for me because they usually are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
Please be sure to research Cyctotec before you agree to it. Cervadil is MADE for inducing/ripening the cervix and is safer (from my research).

I have no experience with c/s or inductions. I would not easily consent to either. I've never had any issues. So, it is really hard for me to give any advice or help.

I hope you are able to birth your babies naturally and in a way that makes you feel like you got the best birth you could have!
1st bolded - I haven't had a chance to research it much yet, but I've heard the same and plan to do some poking around about it tonight. Thanks for the heads up!

2nd bolded - Personally, I wouldn't be pushed into an induction easily and definitely not a c-sec. But, I've been through the high BP before. I know that it can sky rocket fast and it really can be very dangerous for both mom and baby. If it's no higher tomorrow than it was yesterday, I plan to push not to induce and basically to refuse if I need to. However, it also requires bedrest that I truly have no way to do right now. I have 5 kids 6 and under and no help for bed rest, my sitters for my appts will not understand why I won't just induce and definitely will not come to help me so that I can stay pregnant by keeping my BP down. If I can't keep it down, I may not have a choice. As for the c-sec, I will walk out on the induction and go home and wait to avoid one. That is why I am not wanting AROM. The problem will be what my BP is doing. (with my twins last time, I was pre-e and pretty much in labor already. It was really time and I had to take the risk at them breaking my water to get me going. It worked out fine with no issues.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finleyjudemommy View Post
I don't really have any advice for you Heather...I've had pit with my twins and my 5 year old and I was fine and progressed. Twins were induced at 8 ish (in the morning) and Baby B was out by 11:28 am (vaginally) and my 5 year old was induced maybe around 9 ish (in the morning) and she was here at 1:47 pm.

I had the medication your doc told you he would give you when I gave birth to my stillborn son. They told me it would take 24-48 hours...it took 4 hours and 29 minutes.....

You will certainly be in my thoughts!
Thanks Susan! I'm glad to hear your experience with pit worked out just fine. And, while I hate the outcome you had, I'm happy to hear your experience with cyctotech was fast too. I'm hoping to avoid it because I know it often leads to an epi which my body responds pretty badly too. I hope you are doing well!

Thanks everyone! Hearing what you had to say and talking with my doula has renewed my resolve to try and hang on even though I do think that if I don't go into labor in the next few days an induction is inevitable. But, I'm hoping to push it out till my BP really is too high.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #17
menthomas
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I had pih with ds2 and my midwife was concerned about me going pre-e like I did with ds1. She checked me and I was a 4 and she suggested castor oil. She only uses it if you are at least a 4. I did it and in less than 8 hours ds2 was born with no need for cytotec or pit. She did strip my membranes and after that it was 5 hours. You sound really ready for labor so I suggest the castor oil. A friend if mine did it after my experience and it worked for her also.
menthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #18
kismetbaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lots of ways to try and kick-start natural labor. . .but I just wanted to tell you that I had to be induced (and REALLY didn't want to be) at 39 wks with my second baby. . .and it went great. I was already 2cm so I only needed pit and really it didn't feel much different than my natural labor with my first. Obviously it's not ideal, but if your body is already dilated and contracting then it is getting ready on it's own and probably won't need much to get going! Good luck!
Old 10-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #19
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My biggest concern with breaking water artificially is the risk of cord prolapse or compression that wouldn't have happened without that intervention (most likely).

My best friend had two natural births and then was induced with her third. He ended up being posterior but she still managed to avoid the epidural even with the pitocin, and stay mobile enough for him to turn. She said that looking back she probably shouldn't have agreed to the induction, but the doctor was insisting. It's definitely possible to be induced and make it through without the epidural, although I personally wouldn't want to do it! But as much as I hate needles...I think that might be the option that I would prefer.
I agree that your body is probably ready enough that an induction would work; the part that I would worry about more are the risks associated with induction like cord prolapse, fetal heart rate issues, and risk of infection from the procedures that come along with the induction. But you aren't going into this blind; you can make choices that will be safest for you. Like, make SURE that baby is engaged and preferrably in the anterior position before allowing AROM, and limiting vaginal exams..etc.
If you have to be induced, make it work for you, and I hope that everything goes well!
Old 10-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #20
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
I agree with this. I would not agree to cytotec because it can overstimulate the uterus and there is no way to stop it when that happens. Especially since you have already had 5 children...it might be too much.
Personally if I had to be induced, was already dilated, effaced, and already had several vaginal births, I would make sure that baby is engaged and in a good position, then start with the lowest dose of pit and increase every hour, not more often than that. Once labor is established in a good pattern, I would ask for the pit to be turned off and see if labor would continue on it's own, maybe using things like a breastpump to keep natural contractions going until baby is born. I would not consent to AROM unless there was a very good reason.