Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #11
NYCVeg
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can someone help me answer this "birds and bees" question for my 5.5 yr old?

We have a book called "It's Not the Stork" (ages 4+), which we got when dd started asking more detailed questions around age 5. I don't think you can answer the question without mentioning sex--that IS how the sperm gets to your egg--but we found the book very helpful for finding age-appropriate language. The book doesn't focus on sex, but on the differences between boys and girls and how babies grow in the womb.

Advertisement

NYCVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
My 7.5 asked 'how' a couple months ago. Until that point she was fine with the sperm meets egg but that no longer was enough. She wanted to know how the sperm got to the egg. For about a wk the answer 'sperm comes out of the penis and travels up the birth canal blahblqhbla'. Then she wanted to know exactly how the sperm got inside the vagina so I told her. We also talked about how not to share the info with friends-that was their parents job- qnd if she wanted to know more or had questions to just ask. She was satisfied. Now Im just waiting for dd2 to ask 'how' lol

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #13
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Re: Can someone help me answer this "birds and bees" question for my 5.5 yr old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyinthesun View Post
Idk, my 5.5yr old knows that the p goes in the v and that his "balls" have sperm. We said its only for adults to do. Hes never brought it up again or acted inappropriately :shrug:

If you dont want to go that route, just say he takes them out of his body and hands them to you
We haven't told the kids this yet, but if they asked this is what I'd tell them.

eta~ I might not start with all the details, just enough to satisfy the curiosity. But if their questions lead to me disclosing the whole chebang, I don't see a problem with it. It's natural, no reason to hide it. Giving cute imagery would confuse a kid I would think?

Last edited by threelittlehoneys; 10-03-2012 at 02:22 PM.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #14
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

That seems a little young to me too... I'd probably tell her that we'll talk about later and then hope she forgets about it. If she keeps asking about it, you may have to break down and tell her! I wouldn't want to lie to her either.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #15
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

I heard once some parents told their kids that mommies and daddies have a very special time where they get really close, so close part of daddy fits into part of mommy and like a puzzle. You could leave out part of daddy fitting into part of mommy and see if she's ok with mommy and daddy getting really close.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #16
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

My dd was 5 when I was pregnant with her sister and she was like yours.. just kept asking questions!

I stalled for a while but she kept asking so I told her that it was king of a grown up topic but I would tell her if she wanted. I warned her that she might think it icky or weird and that was ok because it is a grown up topic but there is nothing wrong with it. I told her the daddy puts his penis in the mummy's vagina and that's how the sperm gets to the egg.

She looked rather horrified. and just said "REALLY?". I told her we could talk about it anytime but not to talk about it with other kids because it's a grown up topic.

She's 8 now and has never asked anything ever again. I don't know if she remembers or not.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #17
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

I like the 'puzzle concept', I'll have to remember that when she starts asking about sex. My DD is almost 3 and she is really interested in body parts. I'm pregnant with a boy so we've been round and round about me and her having a "V" and boobies/breast milk and Daddy (and the dog) and the new baby having a "P". She likes to point them out on people and ask about it in public a lot

I think 5-6 y/o is a good age to talk in simple, but honest terms. I remember learning about sex when I was that age from two girls who had older siblings. Their versions were way wrong and I asked my mom and she cleared it up for me. I don't know if your daughter goes to school yet or has neighborhood friends, but I would assume that she might have heard about it somewhere else first!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #18
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sweets View Post
My 7.5 asked 'how' a couple months ago. Until that point she was fine with the sperm meets egg but that no longer was enough. She wanted to know how the sperm got to the egg. For about a wk the answer 'sperm comes out of the penis and travels up the birth canal blahblqhbla'. Then she wanted to know exactly how the sperm got inside the vagina so I told her. We also talked about how not to share the info with friends-that was their parents job- qnd if she wanted to know more or had questions to just ask. She was satisfied. Now Im just waiting for dd2 to ask 'how' lol
I like this.
You can make it a 2 step process [sperm traveling out of the penis and through the vagina] to meet the egg.
Then if she wants more I'd go ahead and be honest. The penis goes into the vagina.

We're open and honest as well. My almost 6 year old hasn't asked that yet, but he knows about the Penis and we actually use the word Yoni to encompass all the female parts. He is starting to ask about the baby being inside though and coming out, so I know it will only be a matter of time.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #19
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't think there's a "too young" really. The earlier you talk about sex in matter-of-fact terms, the less awkward it will be. I'd much rather tell a very young child where babies come from than try to talk to a preteen who still thinks the stork is involved.

The book Where Did I Come From is actually perfect for her age (it's listed as 6 and up but I had it much earlier and so did my niece). http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/0818402539
Old 10-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #20
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

Often as adults, we try to give the appropriate answers without over complicating things. One of the best tools I learned was this question:

"What do you think it means?"
Or "How do you think it happens?"

Those can fill in what they do know, so you can provide relative information. Other times, it will just buy you sometime.
HugeBabyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote