Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #21
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tips for install of Radian XTSL in Honda Odyssey & where on ds to sell?

Yes, I find it annoying that I can't get a safe install with latch rf or ff in my van. Here is what it looks like after a drive around town (I tightened it all of the way rock solid before we left the house), it is a major fail.

So that is the rf seat, which is now installed with the seatbelt. I feel like I achieved a good, solid install. I slid the captain chair back (this is 2nd row, drivers side) and reclined the seat back. I put the seat in, and kneeled on it and all of the fun stuff to get it as tight as possible. Then I put the seat back upright again, and slid the captains chair up a few clicks, and tethered it with the d-ring.

For the ff seat, I slid the captains chair to the middle, and placed my dd parkway on the drivers side outboard, and my ds ff radian passenger side outboard. I did the same thing there: reclined seat, put recline foot up (I had no idea that I could recline the seat, duh), installed with seatbelt as tightly as possible and then returned the seat back to upright. I feel like it is a little better of an install, but if I were to pull the front of the seat forward, I could create a fairly large gap at the base of the seat and seat bite. This is worrisome, since in an accident the seat is going to slam forward at the speed we are traveling, right?

Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #22
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Complaint filed, thanks for that link.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #23
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Can I ask which Radian you're referring to having the LATCH issues--the xtsl or the newer Diono rxt? We were planning to get an RXT for this new babe, and installing it RFing in one of our '05 Odyssey captain chairs.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #24
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

xtsl
Old 09-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #25
dogpaws
Registered Users

My Mood:
Boy, this is good to know! I'm about to install the radian rf ing in my ody...i will NOT use the latch!
Old 09-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #26
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mine were XTSLs too, but the new ones use the same kind of LATCH belt. If they would use the kind like Britax, it would be so much easier. The tilt-lock design just seems so silly for a carseat. However, I don't think they could get the other kind to go to 80 pounds.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #27
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

The Frontier 85 has arrived and been installed ff in the passenger side 2nd row captains chair using the long belt path method. I am way happier with this seat/install than with the radian xtsl, but not 100% happy...maybe it is just me! I'm going to try it again tomorrow with an assistant.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #28
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Due to belt geometry, I've had a little trouble getting almost anything in the second row with the belt that doesn't slide side to side a little, esp when the seat is slid over to the middle. I had 2 techs try to help me get it in there with sliding a little side to side, and neither could get it without it moving more than 2 inches side to side if you pulled hard. However, if you used your non-dominant hand, you are generally good to go. However, I am not comfy with that, and put all my seatbelt installs in the back where they go in better, and put little kids up front with latch.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote