Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #21
southernbelle04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I interpreted it as meaning "ok, I'll get in touch with her". I'd see no reason for a teacher to discuss with a student what they'd say to their parent (I never did as a teacher).

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #22
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How would you handle this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle04 View Post
I interpreted it as meaning "ok, I'll get in touch with her". I'd see no reason for a teacher to discuss with a student what they'd say to their parent (I never did as a teacher).

^^This^^

earthflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #23
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
Parent teacher conferences are coming up soon. Would it be appropriate to speak about it then in person? I think they're later this month or early next month.
I had a situation with my son last year (then 1st grade) that I had corresponded via email with the teacher about. After explaining to me her perspective, she finished with, "it's been resolved." Well, I didn't feel any resolution at all, so I did wait and bring it up at P/T conference, which was a couple of weeks later. In your case, I might shoot her an email first. Nearly all the teachers at our school prefer email communication because it's quick and they can respond when they have time.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #24
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychomom View Post
I had a situation with my son last year (then 1st grade) that I had corresponded via email with the teacher about. After explaining to me her perspective, she finished with, "it's been resolved." Well, I didn't feel any resolution at all, so I did wait and bring it up at P/T conference, which was a couple of weeks later. In your case, I might shoot her an email first. Nearly all the teachers at our school prefer email communication because it's quick and they can respond when they have time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle04 View Post

I didn't expect there to be any communication with my son. He was simply supposed to say I had a letter for her in his homework folder. It was written in cursive so he couldn't read it, so he has no idea what was said to the teacher. I only told him I had to ask his teacher about what happened before making any decisions. When he came home, the paper was still in his folder, with nothing on it, which is why I asked him if he gave it to his teacher. He said he gave it to her. I asked if she said anything since nothing was noted. And he said, "she said, 'Fine.'"

I do hope she gets in touch with me. As I said in a previous post, he's been through a lot this last year and I want to make sure he remains my sweet boy. If he was being disrespectful, his beloved Wii will definitely not be played for a week!

I'll have to look for an email for her. Not really sure how to even find it. Hopefully she's the only teacher with her super common last name!

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #25
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae
I'm just not sure when I can go in. I'm in class from 3-6 daily myself. I was under the impression that the homework folder was also a parent-teacher communication line. I figured that would be better than interrupting the school day. I'm not upset with her response, just not sure whether further discipline is needed at home or not.

If it is labelled as a homework folder then it is for homework, not communication. Here we don't have homework folders and only some special needs kids have communication books. We have agendas that kids put their homework/notes in.

I'd go in before school starts to talk to the teacher. Our school has an open door policy though.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #26
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
If it is labelled as a homework folder then it is for homework, not communication. Here we don't have homework folders and only some special needs kids have communication books. We have agendas that kids put their homework/notes in.

I'd go in before school starts to talk to the teacher. Our school has an open door policy though.
Hmmm, I'll have to see what time she's available before school. My kids take the bus to school, so I'm not sure what the morning procedures are. In the previous schools, the folders were called "Parent/Teacher Communicators" so I just got used to that. There has GOT to be an introductory packet missing or something. Makes no sense that the teacher wouldn't do so much as introduce herself to me or let me know how to contact her. I'm usually pretty good at going through them as soon as I get out of class, but maybe I missed something.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #27
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

It is tough when a whole class gets in trouble for the actions of some. It is especially hard when you believe that your child is one of the kids who wasn't involved in whatevery the incident was.

However, children do not exist in isolation in a classroom. They are part of a community and sometimes it is the job of the entire community to police itself. A group "punishment" early in a school year often makes the rest of the year go much more smoothly. Your son is unlikely to suffer longterm damage.

I would assume that your son told her that there was a note from home and she told him fine. Perhaps his folder didn't get emptied and she never even saw what the note said. Personally, I would put the note in an envelope with the teacher's name on it to make certain that she gets it and realizes that it wasn't just the piece of paper leftover in his folder. I woul resend it like that tomorrow and then give her a day or two to get back with you. I think going to the administration or school board is way overboard unless there is something else serious going on.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:27 AM   #28
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I'd call the school and ask for her email. Also maybe let her know that your family has gone through a lot of changes recently and you want to stay on top of knowing how your kids are behaving. Reiterate that you would appreciate. Direct contact over concerns w his behavior for that reason.

threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #29
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hate class punishments. When I was teaching pre-k and we had a class issue I always pulled out the kids not misbehaving and they were rewarded in front of the class. Sometimes it is hard to pinpoint who is not behaving and who is, but I found most of my kids to be pretty honest about letting me know who wasn't misbehaving. It was always kind of funny, the kids usually didn't want their friends to get punished for something they didn't do. It takes more time then assigning punishment to the whole class, but its pretty effective.

I would probably send her an email asking specifically what the behaviors were and what his involvement if any was. Reiterate that you want to make sure to further correct the situation at home, but can't until you know what it actually was. She could have said fine because she didn't have time for anything else, she could be thinking that its over and done with (even though its not for you) and quite possibly she could have been mad- I bet you weren't the only parent who sent back a note. While I don't agree with class punishment if most of the class sent the note back complaining (or expressed to their children or in front of their children) about how ridiculous or unfair or whatever it is that takes away her authority. She was probably fuming when she said fine. Fine is my I can't talk about this right now I need to breath a bit first reaction. If she doesn't respond to the email by Monday afternoon, I would go to the principal. Not to complain about the punishment (although I probably would) but to complain about the lack of communication. She has to communicate with you- you are really partners in this.

Regular communication is suppose to go through the homework folder at our school, but for more serious stuff most parents email or call. We send little notes in the folder, but anything more serious then "she's leaving early today" gets emailed. And I almost always email questions.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #30
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Bump for update