Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2012, 05:48 AM   #11
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do you regularly cook breakfast for your family??

I cook breakfast most mornings for the kids (except on sundays becuase church craziness and they get cereal and a banana).

Our breakfast menu runs the gammet:
Oatmeal
Baked oatmeal
Eggs and toast
Eggs and freezer whole wheat muffins (i triple a batch and freeze the rest to pull out for other mornings)
Eggs and sausage
Smoothies and toast
Pancakes and eggs
And so on....

With 4 children and a farmer husband who eats, cereal just doesnt cut it and everyone is hungry an hour later. Plus its just so expensive! On sundays when it is cereal morning, the kids are starving by 1030am even with a banana thrown in.

Advertisement

raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:51 AM   #12
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I want to, but at this point, I am getting up 3 or 4 times a night to go pee, and I am constantly exhausted, plus standing at the stove for any real period of time is rough.

If I don't provide a breakfast, my family won't eat. DH eats cereal but he won't put it together in the morning. DD1 won't eat cereal. And neither will put together any other breakfast either...no one will cook eggs, no one would heat up oatmeal, no one will even drop a english muffin in the toaster. They don't care, they don't get mad if I don't cook, they simply won't eat breakfast. DH might grab something on the way to work or at work, usually not, and DD1 just won't eat.

And they don't care so if I am not feeling like making anything, I try not to let it bug me, but it does. I don't think it's healthy, I know that they both tend to function better and feel better if they have at least a small breakfast and when I DO make something, they both REALLY appreciate it. So, I TRY to provide SOMETHING most mornings. Currently, I have a stack of homemade egg mcmuffins frozen in the freezer and they have been microwaving those before they leave, so I plan to make more today. When not ready to drop a baby any day, I will make scrambled eggs, often with veggies and cheese scrambled in, fried egg sandwiches with cheese, pancakes, waffles, and with either of those I usually try to make different kinds, like banana or blueberry, etc, for variety. On weekends I will get a bit bigger, add some hashbrowns and/or bacon, sausage, sometimes I make biscuits and gravy but since I can't stand biscuits and gravy I don't make it often.

I usually make something for the two little ones but DD3 eats very few things so there are very few things I will make for her. DD2 eats everything so if the other two get a homemade breakfast, she gets whatever I made, if they didn't (different wake up times) then she usually gets scrambled eggs and loves it.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:09 AM   #13
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope. if they are hungry they have either fruit, yogurt, or a smoothie...if they want a smoothie I make it but that's easy.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #14
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
No. The girls wake up before I do and since dd1 is usually ready to eat asap she will get a waffle or cereal. If dd2 is ready to eat too she'll get a waffle or dd1 will pour milk on her cereal for her. Most of the time though dd2 doesnt eat until I get up so I'll make her cereal when I make mine. It takes me a while to get going in the morning so if I do cook its more like brunch.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #15
photocowgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We rarely ever cook breakfast... at least for breakfast... we often have bacon/eggs/pancakes for supper... We do granola bars, cereal, and oatmeal... My youngest dd is borderline anemic... cereal and oatmeal seem to be the cheapest way for her to get iron besides her vitamin... since she doesn't eat much meat... When we can get fresh fruit cheap, we have fruit too...
photocowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #16
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

We always cook breakfast on Saturday mornings, its just a tradition thing that DH & I do, we don't get to spend much time together during the week so cooking a big breakfast on Saturday mornings is one of our "things". Sundays, just depends on how much time we have before heading to church...honestly, those usually end up being poptart or drive-thru kinda mornings because we attend church an hour away from home and always seem to be running late, no matter how early we all wake up. During the week, ODS eats breakfast at school (with all of his friends, he loves it, and it lets him sleep in later). DD and YDS eat breakfast at home, but DD cold cereal, like its her favorite food ever, and YDS is still in the finger food stage. If my older son is home because of no school and/or if DD wants me to cook a hot breakfast, I will and its not a big deal for me, we keep pretty much all the stuff here...we just don't really do it during the week.

We do breakfast for dinner at least once every couple weeks...biscuits & sausage gravy, eggs & bacon, pancakes & bacon, stuff like that.

Last edited by smashncakes; 10-04-2012 at 08:04 AM.
smashncakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #17
NYCVeg
Registered Users
seller

Dh gives dd breakfast on weekdays, usually cereal or toast. Every now and then she'll ask for gluten-free frozen waffles. That's about as fancy as it gets. (If dd was not allergic to eggs, he might cook eggs on a school day, but it's not an option for us.)

On the weekends, we sometimes make something more elaborate. I'll do pancakes or homemade waffles if dd asks for them; dh will cook bacon.

And on her birthday, I'll put chocolate chips in the pancakes.
NYCVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #18
sojomisa
Registered
seller

They eat what they ask for in the mornings so if they want eggs and bacon or pancakes they get it. I make eggs, bacon and toast on Saturday, and dh heads up pancake Sunday.

During the week they will eat fruit, bacon, toast, eggs (sometimes), cereal, every now and then I will buy frozen french toast sticks.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #19
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Always on the weekend, unless i decide to go get breakfast. Sometimes during the week. Depends on how together I am. I use to make oatmeal with fruit everyday, but had an aversion to it while pregnant. I have never gotten back into the habit. Weekends are usually pancakes/waffles/french toast, sausage, biscuits and gravy, eggs and pan potatoes. Whatever but its real breakfast. During the week no cook mornings are cereal, pancakes or waffles from the freezer (I make extra on the weekends and freeze), toast and fruit (I don't really consider this a cooked breakfast). If I cook breakfast during the week its usually eggs, toast and fruit, sometimes out meal. These days I usually eat toast with wowbutter and a banana. But I am trying to get back into the oatmeal. DS likes oatmeal too, dd sometimes she does and sometimes she doesn't. DH hates it for breakfast- he likes it for snacks though. If I make eggs he eats otherwise he just eats cereal during the week.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #20
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojomisa View Post
They eat what they ask for in the mornings so if they want eggs and bacon or pancakes they get it. I make eggs, bacon and toast on Saturday, and dh heads up pancake Sunday.

During the week they will eat fruit, bacon, toast, eggs (sometimes), cereal, every now and then I will buy frozen french toast sticks.
French toast sticks are really easy to make for the freezer, but to make them crunchy you have to re-heat them in the oven for 10 mins at a higher temp. Don't know how the store bought ones reheat. We always make french toast sticks when we make french toast on the weekends for the freezer.