Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #21
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Re: Am I asking too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothdiapercrunchy View Post
I think my issue is more that this happened 6 times TODAY. Can she really not remember that just an hour ago we had this same conversation? maybe she cannot. But when I remind her every time she takes them out and reminded her every time she did not put them back (this was six seperate occasions today) it seems crazy to me that she doesnt remember. Maybe we need more structured coloring time then its over for the day and put it away? IDK. For now I explained she cannot be trusted with markers and put them away and on the top shelf where she cannot reach them. SIGH....
She can remember. She is just not motivated too because you pick up after her and she doesnt have to remember on her own.

Start collecting toys and make them earn it back. Like this...
http://bonnhomeschool.blogspot.com/2...et-debate.html

and start decluttering your house and getting down to only those things that they actually play with so there is less items to begin with.

Advertisement

doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #22
mebl0901
Registered Users
seller

I always says "If you're able to get toys out, you're able to put them away." That DEFINITELY applies to 5 year olds. I have this same ongoing issue with mine, but she knows she has to put things away and clean her room up. She does it, but with lots of nagging and reminders unfortunately.

Markers, crayons, stickers, etc stay in a bowl on the kitchen table, though. Those things are not allowed in her room because she's colored on things before and I about lost it. She has to have permission and then stay at the table to do her artwork. I feel much better about the whole situation and it's easier to remember to put things away that way.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #23
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just wanted to say hi! Funny I was just talking to you about this today. I think doodah hit is right on the head! (as did another mama...and I completely forgot the username. The one with the globe). Good luck, mama. And know you can message me anytime for solicited advice (and maybe some unsolicited? )

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
MommyLyssa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #24
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
She can remember. She is just not motivated too because you pick up after her and she doesnt have to remember on her own.

Start collecting toys and make them earn it back. Like this...
http://bonnhomeschool.blogspot.com/2...et-debate.html

and start decluttering your house and getting down to only those things that they actually play with so there is less items to begin with.
Yep this is what I have except my bin doesn't have the little chore cards. That is a great idea I should totally do that. My bin just says "Uh Oh Mommy picked up your toys... You can earn them back by helping Mommy around the house."
iris0110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #25
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have one rule.

Don't make a threat you are unprepared to follow thru with. My guess is, it's a norm for you to bend. She knows this. So she wins.

I wouldn't threaten to throw things away, anyhow. But by the second reminder, they would be put away for the day.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #26
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgirlohboyohno View Post
hey - just a thought....at my kids pre-school they have a board and the caps are glued into holes on the board...then all the makers get put back on the caps cause it is kind of "obvious" with something like that sitting right there

here is a picture of one in plaster of paris - which would be even easier
doesnt work at my daycare, lol... well, for some kids it does, and the younger ones i give a little bit of a break to, but it drikes me insane to remind 4 and 5 year olds (many who have been at this center their whole lives, lol, so they know the drill) to put the stinkin lids back on the markers!

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #27
clothdiapercrunchy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There have been great suggestions here and I appreciate the input from you all.

Im going to work on my follow through. The markers are up high in the craft cabinet and I told her she needs to earn them back and gave her some specifics. I also decluttered the craft cabinet to make it easier for us to get things in and out and put them away. We are using an old coffee ground container for the crayons and markers.