Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #11
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vasectomy (permanent?)

They have vasectomies now where they place a small clamp, instead of cutting it, so it's fairly easy to reverse.
Still though, I would not consider getting one unless you're 100% you're done. There are other birth control options out there that last 5 or more years and that can be removed at anytime.

Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #12
cjslater1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was reading about some of the IUDs but I have read some stories about them like people getting pregnant and miscarrying, or that it acts just to keep an embryo from implanting, I am pro life so that is an issue for me after the egg is fertilized. Also about it ripping the uterus. That all has me nervous, are there any other options?
Old 08-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #13
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekuan View Post
Yeah, Paragard is what my mw recommends because there are no hormones.
yep that's what i had. i was told it lasted 12 years though. DH just got a V and they said that while a reversal is sometimes possible a V should be considered permanent
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #14
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

according to PP
Quote:
Both the ParaGard and the Mirena IUDs work mainly by affecting the way sperm move so they can't join with an egg. If sperm cannot join with an egg, pregnancy cannot happen.
For some women, Mirena may prevent the egg from leaving the ovary. Pregnancy cannot happen if there is no egg to join with sperm. Progestin also prevents pregnancy by thickening a woman's cervical mucus. The mucus blocks sperm and keeps it from joining with an egg.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:08 AM   #15
Kap7270
Registered Users

according to the patient information leaflet on paragard's website:
Quote:
How does ParaGard® work?
Ideas about how ParaGard® works include preventing sperm from reaching the egg, preventing sperm from fertilizing the egg, and preventing the egg from attaching (implanting) in the uterus. ParaGard® does not stop your ovaries from making an egg (ovulating) each month.
The fact that the ectopic pregnancy rate is so much higher in women who use IUDs strongly suggests to me that a big part of the way they work is by preventing implanting in the uterus. If they primarily worked by stopping fertilization, then you would expect to see a similar ectopic rate as women on no birth control.
Kap7270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #16
nursesweet
Registered Users

My Mood:

Vasectomy reversals can be very pricey too. My brother in law is considering having it done and it's definitely NOT covered by insurance.

What about the pill? You can get ones that have lower doses of hormones (ex: lowestrin). I'm with you on the IUD thing. It's definitely not for me either.
nursesweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #17
jamiejo
Registered Users
seller

I was somewhat in your shoes not long ago. Totally overwhelmed with the two we have, and thinking it was time for Dh to get a V. A month later we were surprised and pregnant with the wee one we lost 5 weeks later. Right now, I am so incredibly thankful I did not bring up the idea of a V. If we don't have another, I'm ok with that. But the one we lost.... I was so attached instantly even tho the timing was *off*
It's really easy when your babe is 6mo to be so overwhelmed that you can't imagine ever wanting another. But one of the PP's said she would wait until youngest is 2 to make any permanent decisions. I agree with this.
We use condoms on fertile days right now. We are welcoming to the idea of another, but there are other ways too. Spermicide + condoms during fertile days. charting etc. There are good ways to avoid without hormones. I personally am not open to an IUD either. But at times, it would be really nice to not have it be a worry at all.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #18
Jlg325j
Registered Users

I also want to add most insurance companies won't do the vasectomy without 1. age requirement 2. X number of children already 3. counseling classes attended by patient.
Jlg325j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #19
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjslater1
I was reading about some of the IUDs but I have read some stories about them like people getting pregnant and miscarrying, or that it acts just to keep an embryo from implanting, I am pro life so that is an issue for me after the egg is fertilized. Also about it ripping the uterus. That all has me nervous, are there any other options?
NuvaRing does not prevent pregnancy or implantation - just ovulation. I haven't had the chance to use it but my bff uses it and she loves it. I had my Mirena removed before my 1st pp ovulation for those exact reasons (oh yeah, and crazy mood swings, sucky metabolism, etc). I couldn't live with myself if an egg was fertilized and Mirena just made the environment too hostile for it to survive.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #20
Kap7270
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyH View Post
NuvaRing does not prevent pregnancy or implantation - just ovulation. I haven't had the chance to use it but my bff uses it and she loves it. I had my Mirena removed before my 1st pp ovulation for those exact reasons (oh yeah, and crazy mood swings, sucky metabolism, etc). I couldn't live with myself if an egg was fertilized and Mirena just made the environment too hostile for it to survive.
That's not necessarily true - they're not entirely sure exactly how NuvaRing prevents all pregnancies. According to the prescriber information leaflet for nuvaring:
"Although the primary effect of this action is inhibition of ovulation, other alterations include changes in the cervical mucus (which increase the difficulty of sperm entry into the uterus) and the endometrium (which reduce the likelihood of implantation)."

Clearly it doesn't always prevent ovulation (because there is a failure rate), so it's hard to know how often there is breakthrough ovulation but no pregnancy due to preventing implantation. This is true of all hormonal birth control (not just nuvaring).

If you got to nuvaring.com and click on prescribing information, you can get to the document where my quote is from. Bottom of the first page in that document.
Kap7270 is offline   Reply With Quote