Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
janellenowitzke
Registered Users
seller

Ring Sling-- best uses

I am considering getting a ring sling. What are they best for? Newborn? Toddlers? Casual carrying? Would you carry a kid for a longer period in it, like a zoo trip?

Advertisement

janellenowitzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
magoose
Registered Users

Re: Ring Sling-- best uses

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellenowitzke View Post
I am considering getting a ring sling. What are they best for? Newborn? Toddlers? Casual carrying? Would you carry a kid for a longer period in it, like a zoo trip?
I hope someone answers because I'm looking into getting a ring sling as well. I want something super quick and easy to use just for around the house or shopping or whatever. Hopefully someone will answer.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
mabelinoad
Registered Users
Formerly: Mabelino
seller
seller

My Mood:
I use it on my 2month old, she's 13lbs and after a couple hours, my shoulder starts to tingle a bit lol...I wouldn't use it much more than that. That said, I use my ringsling more than my wrap/beco. It's easy for quick trips and much needed naps. I think everyone needs one in their stash

For a long trip, like 3-4hr zoo trip, I'd use a wrap or SSC so both shoulders carry the weight. But.... If your kiddo has good head control, RUB carry is an option with a sling, YouTube it
Old 10-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I personally like a RS for newborns until 3 or 4 months and again for hip carries at the toddler up and down all the time phase. I perfer a SSC in the interim.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #5
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

I like them for in & out - short store trips or running to the bus stop. LOVED them with a newborn & still like it on my 17lber but not for extended periods - for that I prefer my boba, babyhawk or linen wrap.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
ma_grizz
Registered Users

My Mood:

my ring sling saved both me and my daughter's sanity from day one! my first sling was made by a friend and so wonderful, but now that she is 14 lbs i have upgraded to a girasol ring sling with a gathered shoulder, which is far more comfortable because i can spread it out over my shoulder and avoid neck and shoulder pain.

i use it in and out, but for long trips/neighborhood errands or going on the subway i prefer my babyhawk mei tai. for the airport both my dude and i like the beco butterfly II because we can switch off without taking the baby out of the carrier.

i recommend a ring sling to every parent! it's an easy way to keep your small fry close and cozy.

Last edited by ma_grizz; 10-04-2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: edited for clarity!
ma_grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I just bought a RS thinking I'd use it for a future baby but I would love to use it for my 15-mo old DS. What kind of wrap/hold would I use for the hip carry?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #8
Ashlynnray
Registered Users
seller

I have a Sakura bloom RS and I love it. I use it mainly for shopping trips or if I need to do something quickly around the house. My DS is 7.5 months and 21 lbs. I wear him in the hip carry. If we are going to be out a long time, I wear him in the ergo as its much more comfortable for longer periods. But it's great for the times when we have short trips!
Ashlynnray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #9
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

As others said, short trips and times when they are on/off/on/off frequently like the airport. I didn't like the ringsling with my baby before he was 4 or 5 months, I prefer a woven wrap for little babies and for longer excursions.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
bonusround
Registered Users
seller

LOVE my ring slings. They are good for tiny ones, but my four year olds can still use them too. Great to nurse in.
bonusround is offline   Reply With Quote