Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #51
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joluru

In California, food isn't taxed, so I can't comment to that, but it does cover bottle deposits. I'd be really surprised if the taxes were NOT covered on foods that are SNAP approved.
Yep, In CA it covers CRV for sodas, gatorade, waters, etc. No tax on food here. I never knew there was tax on coupons... Smh...

Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #52
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: Found this blog about Snap Benefits

Technically it's not a tax on coupons, it's a tax on the item, that you have to pay on top of the coupon. So for sake of ease, lets say you buy a shampoo for $1, and have a coupon for 99c off. You live in a state with a 5% sales tax, you would have to pay 6c for that shampoo-5c tax and the 1 penny difference between the coupon and the price of the item.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #53
Joluru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
Technically it's not a tax on coupons, it's a tax on the item, that you have to pay on top of the coupon. So for sake of ease, lets say you buy a shampoo for $1, and have a coupon for 99c off. You live in a state with a 5% sales tax, you would have to pay 6c for that shampoo-5c tax and the 1 penny difference between the coupon and the price of the item.
We have this in California, but since there is no tax on food, it isn't applicable to SNAP transactions.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #54
oregonmom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

When I lived in Idaho we were on SNAP. We paid tax if we used a manufaters coupon, but not a store coupon. We also got 5 cents off for every fabric bag we brought to use, but had to pay 3 cents in tax because that rung up as a coupon. I did buy some junk, but tried to keep it as healthy as possible. We recieved just under $700 a month for a family of 5, and most months I had between $50- $100 left from that month. The money does roll over to the next month and we were able to use the excess to get us through the month between us moving from Idaho and my DH getting his first check at his new job.
I really do think it would be harder to be single and have to buget the little bit of money you get then to provide for a family. Most places I shop buying larger cuts of meat and the cases of produce are cheaper then buying it in small amounts.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #55
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joluru

We have this in California, but since there is no tax on food, it isn't applicable to SNAP transactions.
Exactly. Food is not supposed to be taxed, so what is being taxed here? The coupon?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #56
Joluru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
Exactly. Food is not supposed to be taxed, so what is being taxed here? The coupon?

I'm not clear that the example this comes from was happening in California. I've never had this happen, and I used coupons to get overages when I was on SNAP years ago. One time, I left with a dozen boxes of cereal and $6 in store catalinas by using coupons and sales, and didn't pay any tax at all.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #57
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskira View Post
$16/day for my family is way more than our regular budget. I just found out we qualify for $550 in snap benefits. It boggles my mind as our current budget is $400.

Era: plus wic! I could receive wic for both our kids in addition to the snap. I can't even imagine howi would spend it all...
$4 a person per day is $200 more than our current budget. I can't imagine having that much to spend on food.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #58
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherMoonPads

$4 a person per day is $200 more than our current budget. I can't imagine having that much to spend on food.
$4 per person per day is about $1.50 more than I currently get.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #59
HeatherM0529
Registered Users
seller
seller

When we were on food stamps we got $520 something for a family of 3. That's almost $6 per person per day. We struggled to use it all. At the end of the month we went out and stocked up on canned goods, pasta and frozen veggies. When we got off food stamps, we had a pantry full of food that lasted us a couple months!

Currently we're a family of 4 and I spend about $350 a month on groceries. Not including the baby's formula. But that is almost $200 less then we got when it was just 3 of us (my daughter was just an infant/toddler then too). So I think they give too much to some people. There are some that only get a couple hundred a month for a larger family, it still goes off income (I think... I have never heard of SNAP before today).
HeatherM0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #60
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Indiana also has no tax on food....but has exceptions. Junk foods and candies do have sales tax. I have no idea how Indiana determines what is a junk food/candy and what isn't. Some bags of M&Ms had tax, other kinds didn't, and both could be purchased with SNAP cards. Likewise, if you go to the Deli at Walmart and pick up a rotisserie chicken, you can use a SNAP card for that, but since the tax system figures it as part of the taxes you would pay like if you went to McDs. That doesn't explain it right, I hope that's clear.

Basically, even in states with no tax on food, there are some strange overlaps between the tax system and the SNAP system so there are going to be some foods that you will have to pay taxes on that SNAP will still cover.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote