Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #11
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: As property owners, can we be held liable?

Did he file a police report? I honestly didn't think to ask. I was seriously caught off guard.

Did he go to the doctor? Yes, he did mention having to get rabies shots because the animal had no immunizations.

What exactly is he asking for from your insurance? All he asked was, "may I have your insurance information." To which I replied, I'm pretty sure we don't carry insurance on that place as it is paid off and a complete wreck thanks to the renters. I'm guessing he wants our non existant insurance to cover his medical expenses for his rabies shots?

Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #12
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajewels View Post
We had no knowledge of the dog being loose or vicious, and according to the man who came by, the renter has already "gotten rid of it."

He definitely doesn't carry renters insurance. I doubt that place could even be insured again after the damage they have done. :/
They can come after, they may or may not be successful though. With no knowledge of the dog being there you may be ok- depends on your state laws. I didn't ask that question to our atty. We found out when the ins company did a drive by the buyers had a unfenced pool. Our atty said we could be liable for any neighbor kid drownings just because my name was on the deed didn't matter if we knew or not, but I don't know if would have been the same for a dog. So we talked to the buyers and they agreed to fence it. I would evict them, they are just going to keep causing you problems.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #13
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
We had no knowledge of the dog being loose or vicious, and according to the man who came by, the renter has already "gotten rid of it."

He definitely doesn't carry renters insurance. I doubt that place could even be insured again after the damage they have done. :/

Thanks for the replies, ladies.
Here the landlord is responsible for everything their tenants do. Including when an unpermitted animal bites someone. Renters here are not required to have insurance here, but landlords are. Here they can be fined for not having insurance on rented property.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #14
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
They can come after, they may or may not be successful though. With no knowledge of the dog being there you may be ok- depends on your state laws. I didn't ask that question to our atty. We found out when the ins company did a drive by the buyers had a unfenced pool. Our atty said we could be liable for any neighbor kid drownings just because my name was on the deed didn't matter if we knew or not, but I don't know if would have been the same for a dog. So we talked to the buyers and they agreed to fence it. I would evict them, they are just going to keep causing you problems.
While I have kept quiet about them so far due to them being Dh's family, I'm pretty sure this is the point I am at, and I'm not going to hold it in any longer. This is too much. This is the LAST thing we need on our plate right now.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #15
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Did he file a police report? I honestly didn't think to ask. I was seriously caught off guard.

Did he go to the doctor? Yes, he did mention having to get rabies shots because the animal had no immunizations.

What exactly is he asking for from your insurance? All he asked was, "may I have your insurance information." To which I replied, I'm pretty sure we don't carry insurance on that place as it is paid off and a complete wreck thanks to the renters. I'm guessing he wants our non existant insurance to cover his medical expenses for his rabies shots?
Pretty sure you have to go the hospital for rabies shots so he probably has quite the bill from the bite. Sucks because neither of you are at fault but both of you are going to end up dealing with it.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #16
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Yes most likely he just wants his medical bill paid. Preachers make very little money. I'd try to find out if he had permission to be on the property first though. Are there no trespassing signs posted?
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #17
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

Dh's lunch is in a few minutes, and I'm calling him to have him get ahold of the lawyer now. I can't sit on pins & needles all day wondering. I need to know for sure if we're facing a legal battle because of these morons and our obvious irresponsible idea to not carry insurance on the place, or if we're in the clear since it isn't our animal. Definitely appreciate the responses, ladies. Thank you. I am freaking.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #18
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Dh's lunch is in a few minutes, and I'm calling him to have him get ahold of the lawyer now. I can't sit on pins & needles all day wondering. I need to know for sure if we're facing a legal battle because of these morons and our obvious irresponsible idea to not carry insurance on the place, or if we're in the clear since it isn't our animal. Definitely appreciate the responses, ladies. Thank you. I am freaking.
You could also- if you are held responsible or the atty says you will- sue the cousin for anything you end up having to pay out. I hope that you are not responsible- I know how that feels, it sucks- but if you are then sue the cousin.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #19
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki
wow. I am not up on laws. But I am disgusted by the fact that someone who claims to be a "man of God" would come after someone who has NO TIES to the dog to get money for something they had no control over.

Also, I'm really appalled by the idea that you could be held liable for something that happened on your property when 1) you were not present, 2) it was not your animal, and 3) how could you have even known the dog was a threat to other people? 4) did you even know the dog was there?

Ugh. I'm really sorry mama. What a crappy, horrible, terrible situation. That is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard.
I agree!!! Perhaps his reasoning is that insurance requires a deductible vs an OOP payment in full. I believe you can go after them in small claims court.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #20
Angel89411
Banned

Around here, I am fairly certain yes. Many individual landlords don't allow dogs at all and complexes limit breeds.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote