Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #31
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: As property owners, can we be held liable? *RESOLVED, THANKS MAMAS!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermansmomma View Post
Great news for you, but I sort of feel bad for the preacher

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
I would, too......... if I didn't already know so much about this particular preacher. IMO, and the opinion of many others in our community, he isn't someone that should hold that position. (Definitely not because of this incident. It has nothing to do with that.)

Thank you again, ladies. This had me on the verge of tears. Not something you want to be faced with, especially this close to the holidays!

Advertisement

Last edited by mommajewels; 10-04-2012 at 10:50 AM.
mommajewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #32
supermansmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae

Why feel bad? He can legally go after the animal owners and win.

That's true, it seemed like the renters didn't have anything worth it to go after. I will admit I know absolutely nothing of the legal world though.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #33
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermansmomma

That's true, it seemed like the renters didn't have anything worth it to go after. I will admit I know absolutely nothing of the legal world though.

Well, technically, even if he won, he might not get anything, so that would suck.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #34
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

A few more details came to light tonight after Dh called the cousin to inform him of what was going on & the precher to let him know we do not carry insurance, and to tell him what our lawyer said.

1) The dog was on a chain. Apparently the preacher got too close, so the dog bit.

2) The precher was "on the job." He is also a fireman for our town, and he felt the need to stop by and check out a trash pile the renter was apparently burning. It was a contained fire, he didn't have to do anything. He was just stopping to "check it out." We're good friends with our town mayor (we live in a town of 190) and Dh told him what was going on. He had no idea the preacher was on the job and said he should have notified the Fire Dept. because since it happened on the job it would have been covered by workmans comp.

3) The preacher is insured. He did not tell me many details when he was here, but he told Dh that it is his insurance company who wants our insurance information. All I can figure is maybe they're trying to deny him the right to file the claim, for whatever reason.

Last edited by mommajewels; 10-04-2012 at 07:59 PM.
mommajewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #35
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajewels View Post
A few more details came to light tonight after Dh called the cousin to inform him of what was going on & the precher to let him know we do not carry insurance, and to tell him what our lawyer said.

1) The dog was on a chain. Apparently the preacher got too close, so the dog bit.

2) The precher was "on the job." He is also a fireman for our town, and he felt the need to stop by and check out a trash pile the renter was apparently burning. It was a contained fire, he didn't have to do anything. He was just stopping to "check it out." We're good friends with our town mayor (we live in a town of 190) and Dh told him what was going on. He had no idea the preacher was on the job and said he should have notified the Fire Dept. because since it happened on the job it would have been covered by workmans comp.

3) The preacher is insured. He did not tell me many details when he was here, but he told Dh that it is his insurance company who wants our insurance information. All I can figure is maybe they're trying to deny him the right to file the claim, for whatever reason.
To 3...yeah probably right. When I stepped on a nail (while pregnant) on the weeked and couldn't get in to my Dr. I went to a minor emergenct clinic for a tetnus shot. I got a letter from my insurance asking where I got the injury,what I was doing, was I on the job etc...I was just being stupid at home and the horse pushed me into a corner and stepped onto a pile of wood....but if it had been something related to work or at someone elses house they would have refused to pay.

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #36
cristancanoe
Registered Users

Good update.

I was questioning the need for rabies shots. They are only necessary for unknown bites (wild animal or unable to catch the dog). A dog can be contained for 10 days and observed or euthanized and tested.
cristancanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #37
supermansmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajewels

Craziness! I guess he forgot his smart pill that morning

Glad it all work out for you

Old 10-05-2012, 06:02 AM   #38
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm sure his insurance company requested the info. When I fell at a relatives house and broke my foot my insurance paid my bills, but also requested my relatives homeowners insurance info. Not sure if they ever collected anything back from them but if the insurance can, they will try to get compensated for what they had to pay out if they feel another party had some liability.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:06 AM   #39
lisaaag
Banned at Users Request
seller

My Mood:
Re: As property owners, can we be held liable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
wow. I am not up on laws. But I am disgusted by the fact that someone who claims to be a "man of God" would come after someone who has NO TIES to the dog to get money for something they had no control over.

Also, I'm really appalled by the idea that you could be held liable for something that happened on your property when 1) you were not present, 2) it was not your animal, and 3) how could you have even known the dog was a threat to other people? 4) did you even know the dog was there?

Ugh. I'm really sorry mama. What a crappy, horrible, terrible situation. That is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard.
Yeah really, that is pretty low of him. I wonder how bad the bite was to begin with. Sorry you're being put through this OP and hope it works out in your favor.

Last edited by lisaaag; 10-05-2012 at 07:39 AM.
lisaaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #40
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristancanoe View Post
Good update.

I was questioning the need for rabies shots. They are only necessary for unknown bites (wild animal or unable to catch the dog). A dog can be contained for 10 days and observed or euthanized and tested.
This! I was thinking the whole time reading this thread.... They don't do rabie shots typically Why did he get rabies shots? It is usually only for Feral or wild animals that can't be captured for testing.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote