Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #11
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: To vax, or not to vax

You dont' have to live in a bubble if you don't vax It's actually good for their immune systems to be exposed to other germs (obviously not dangerous ones like TB). We don't vax and we're always out and about. We have play groups, homeschooling groups, my kids play with the neighbors and many kids at parks, etc etc etc and they've only ever been sick one (with the flu that DH brought home).

Advertisement

JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #12
erlyjo
User requested temporary ban
seller
seller

My Mood:
Here's what I mean by living in a bubble.

He told me I should not take her out. Not to the store, not to church, not anywhere where there are crowds. He also told me I would have to keep my older siblings away from her since they could bring home germs and make her sick. I can't live like that!

I'll have to look into the Dr Sears book. I just want factual, non-biased info, which is so hard to discern these days. It seems like everyone has an agenda.

Last edited by erlyjo; 10-04-2012 at 05:46 PM.
erlyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #13
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlyjo View Post
The new pediatrician says he is ok with parents who choose not to vaccinate, but related scary stories about how at least one kid from their practice dies every year because they weren't vaccinated
Did you ask him how many kids die each year even though they are fully vaxed?
I HATE when Drs use scare tactics to make patients do what they say. They are not the boss of every patient, they are there as a resource and to help when needed/asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
I like Dr. Sears The Vaccine Book. He's actually pro-vaccine, but it gives you the run down of what is in the vaccine, what it protects against, etc. I thought it was pretty comprehensive.
I have heard great things about this book, both from vaxers and non vaxers.

Quote:

He told me I should not take her out. Not to the store, not to church, not anywhere where there are crowds. He also told me I would have to keep my older siblings away from her since they could bring home germs and make her sick. I can't live like that!
That is COMPLETE and UTTER bullsh!t. I would likely have said so right to his face. What a jerk.

For us/our children, DD is "fully vaxed" as per the schedule when she was born - which has been added to (multiple more shots "needed" now) since. She had all her DPTP and MMR, her school booster.
DS1 is not fully vaxed, as per the schedule when he was born (changed then even since DD had been born). He reacted severely to his 2mos needles, and we chose to delay anything further until he was 2 years old. He then did finish his DPTP, HIB, and MMR - but he did react again to the DPTP when given his final dose, and as such we have not done his school booster (DPTP+MMR).
DS2 had all his shots, no reactions, but no school booster.
DS3 had his 2, 4, 6, and 12 month ones, but I haven't been back to the Dr office since February, so he's behind. I'm not worried about it.

None of our kids have had the varicella vaccine. We won't be getting that done until they are older (ie. thinking about it in the next couple years for DD) and haven't contracted chicken pox naturally.

I totally agree with you that it's too much put into a very little body. I don't like that.
I did find out, with DS1 and our delaying his shots, that once they turn 2 years old they suddenly need less doses of some vaccines - which cuts back their shots quite substantially. For example, I can't for the life of me remember which vaccine it was, but as a baby he would have needed 4 doses - after 24 months only ONE dose is required.
Also, when they get nearer 2 years old, the blood-brain barrier is better established, which can help with reactions.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #14
erlyjo
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers

Did you ask him how many kids die each year even though they are fully vaxed?
I HATE when Drs use scare tactics to make patients do what they say. They are not the boss of every patient, they are there as a resource and to help when needed/asked.

That is COMPLETE and UTTER bullsh!t. I would likely have said so right to his face. What a jerk.
I should have asked about their vaccinated child mortality rate. I can never think of these things in the moment!

And yes, the more I think about it, the more absurd his recommendations seem. I really like the guy otherwise, and at least he didn't call me stupid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers
I did find out, with DS1 and our delaying his shots, that once they turn 2 years old they suddenly need less doses of some vaccines - which cuts back their shots quite substantially. For example, I can't for the life of me remember which vaccine it was, but as a baby he would have needed 4 doses - after 24 months only ONE dose is required.
Also, when they get nearer 2 years old, the blood-brain barrier is better established, which can help with reactions.
I would really like to know more about this. I have never heard this before. I wish you knew which vaccine it was!

Last edited by erlyjo; 10-04-2012 at 06:32 PM.
erlyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #15
MrsTorres
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

If my dr ever said that to me I would get up and walk out and start finding a new dr asap. It couldn't be further from the truth.

My first was fully vaxed on time, he's now a big ball full of mess including adhd and autism

my 2nd and 3rd were delayed because they were born early, they were partially delayed until they were 2 and 3 years old and then I stopped completely. They both have adhd and my 3rd has neuro issues

my girls (4th and 5th) have never had a single vaccine in their life and they are the healthiest kids Ive ever seen, both are 100% "normal", matter of fact my 5th is 27 months and is testing at almost 48 months all around.

We do not live in a bubble, they go to public school and daycare, went to summer camp over the summer too, your dr needs his head checked.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #16
NiNi
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma
I like Dr. Sears The Vaccine Book. He's actually pro-vaccine, but it gives you the run down of what is in the vaccine, what it protects against, etc. I thought it was pretty comprehensive.
I don't vax. And he is pro vax. But this helped me decide not too.

sent from my iPhone. excuse all typos
NiNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #17
erlyjo
seller
seller

My Mood:
With so many recommendations, I'm ordering the Dr Sears book.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #18
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNi View Post
I don't vax. And he is pro vax. But this helped me decide not too.

We are non-vaxers too (ds1 is vaccinated up to a year).
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #19
NiNi
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma

We are non-vaxers too (ds1 is vaccinated up to a year).
I didn't mean to imply you were a vaxer. Just that as a pro vax book it helped me. Haha sorry!

NiNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #20
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I should have asked about their vaccinated child mortality rate. I can never think of these things in the moment!

I would really like to know more about this. I have never heard this before. I wish you knew which vaccine it was!
I just think it's silly to use that tactic - sure, don't vax, but your kid might DIE!
It's a horrible thing. Trust me, I'm not belittling infant/child death. AT ALL. But, sometimes kids die. Vaxing and doing everything "right" sometimes doesn't make any difference at all. You just make the best choices for your family.

I think it was the HIB... but I'm not sure. I'm trying to think of which ones they get 4 shots of - DPTP/HIB are the only ones (2, 4, 6 & 18 months) I think. If it's between those 2, it definitely wasn't the DPTP. But definitely don't quote me on it!

You could always google for vaccination schedules, you'll find different ones for different ages, delaying or not.
I do know that in some European and Asian countries they don't even start vaxing until the kids are 2 years... I think Japan is even older? Anyways, there are less reactions and the kids need fewer shots - both in my books!

FTR, I'm not totally against vaxing, lol. Like if we were travelling I would definitely be getting vaxes for the important things, kwim?
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote