Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2012, 05:56 AM   #1
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

My 8.5 mo old dd isn't crawling yet... Not even close, really. She'll happily sit up on her bottom and play with toys all day. If a toy is outside of her reach, she'll either lean forward and lunge for it landing on her tummy, try and lean sideways for it and fall over, or cry for it. When we put her on her belly, she can put her arms down and arch her back but cannot get her belly off the ground. I'll lift her belly, bend her knees in and show her but nothing. She can't keep her knees in that position and cannot keep her belly off the ground. Her sitter works nonstop in it all day long, too. She has 4 kids so I think the fact that she is worried has me worried. She hasn't said she's worried... That's just the impression that I get. She will stand with support and can stand unassisted for short periods if she is holding on to something. I have no other concerns about her development. Her communication and saocial are great, she rolled early, and is otherwise a happy baby. Any thoughts? Is it normal for some babies not to crawl? We use prefold stuffed pockets... That's not causing difficulty, is it?

Eta that I'm a first time mama... Obviously...

Advertisement

Last edited by yogamama28; 10-05-2012 at 05:59 AM.
yogamama28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
Veg's Dragonflies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 8.5 mo old- no signs of crawling

I wouldn't worry about it. All kids are different.
My first didn't crawl till he was almost 9 months. But he could stand and cruise from from place to place if he had something to hold onto. He started walking right at 9 mo. Guess crawling wasn't getting him where he needed to go fast enough. So I would give up on her crawling and just focus on walking.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #3
momma2eliandisaac
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds normal! Every kid is different and walk/crawl at different ages. My olest crawled at 10 mo and walked at 15mo. He is 4 1/2 now and running and juming off of everything!! Some kids are content to just sit and play and one day decide to walk, skipping crawling all together! I would probably only worry if shes not mobile at all at around 11mo
momma2eliandisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:08 AM   #4
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Like walking for my kids was 7 to 8 monrhs along furniture. Others aren't til after age 1. I wouldn't worry. Do u have more than 1 kid at home or sitter that get her things all the time? Could b y no interest in crawling. Mine not crawl til after they ran.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
SashaE80
Registered Users

My Mood:

My BIL's daughter has just started crawling this week!! She's 13 months. She was happy and content and just not bothered. She has hit other milestones.

I wouldn't worry about it, at 5 they go to school walking, talking, feeding themselves and potty trained, and nobody will be able to tell when they first did any of it.
SashaE80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #6
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veg's Dragonflies
I wouldn't worry about it. All kids are different.
My first didn't crawl till he was almost 9 months. But he could stand and cruise from from place to place if he had something to hold onto. He started walking right at 9 mo. Guess crawling wasn't getting him where he needed to go fast enough. So I would give up on her crawling and just focus on walking.
She's no where near being ready to walk either. She can stand when holding our fingers but isn't anywhere near steady enough to stand on her own without us or a object to lean on near by...
yogamama28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #7
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Yep, every kiddo is different Dd1 didnt even try to crawl until 9mos and then she just took off. Dd2 started rocking on her hands and knees at 4mos but didnt crawl until 9mos lol Crawling isnt even considered a milestone anymore b/c so many kids just skip it. Of course if youre really worried you can always call her ped.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

You could call and gave her evaluated by early intervention which is what I would recommend to any parent who is concerned about development. I feel that there is nothing to worry about yet and she is well within the WIDE range that is normal, but I'm not a therapist. Dont worry mama it will be ok!
Old 10-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #9
sweetpeapumpkinbaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mine never really crawled. He could pull up and cruise quite early, and then he started walking 4 days after he turned 10 months old.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #10
pinky74
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mine didn't even attempt to crawl until after 10 months and walk at14. My other two did earlier, but talked later. The latest that crawled at 10 months talked way earlier. Go figure! They are all different. I have a nephew who never crawled and is perfectly fine!