Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #11
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Oatmeal

I make steel cut oats in a bain marie in the crockpot. Makes clean up easier than doing it directly in the crock. Find a bowl that fits inside your crockpot and holds the appropriate measure of steel cut oats and water. Put it in your crock, put the oats and water in the bowl. Then pour about 2 -4 inches of water around that bowl, into the crock. Close, cook on low overnight, and breakfast is ready in the morning. You can add whatever you like to it this way, too.

Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 07:29 AM   #12
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispy79 View Post
I also pre made a ton of silver dollar pancakes so they only need to be microwaved for 45sec out of the freezer. I've done waffles before but this was so much more work ;-)
What are silver dollar pancakes?

My little ones love oatmeal I've used it to make granola bars, granola, oatmeal on the stove (with whatever toppings you like - mine love raisins and of course maple syrup or honey, though I don't give them those all the time and they're young enough that they still don't mind it w/o the syrup), oatmeal muffins, baked oatmeal, overnight oatmeal, oatmeal "balls", oatmeal pancakes... there are tons of recipes online. I think I will try this one next: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Q...ovetop-Granola

If you have a waffle maker, you can also make oatmeal waffles. After you cook the oatmeal on the stove like normal just put it in the waffle maker for a bit and you can put apple sauce and/or maple syrup, fruit, etc.

I have also used ground up oatmeal in place of bread crumbs and for other things I can't remember at the moment.

A lot of sources say that oatmeal really should be soaked first and some say to mix it with a bit of lemon juice or vinegar while soaking... maybe someone more knowledgeable can explain. It's supposed to make it easier to digest. I don't always bother though (still learning )

Last edited by mel j; 10-05-2012 at 07:32 AM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #13
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I just make quick oats, add some stevia, cinnamon, raisins and almond milk.

Another thing I do for quick/easy breakfasts is make a couple batches of pancakes and a large batch of eggs. Keep in the fridge and reheat what you need each morning. Usually with a side of fruit. Sometimes I make a fruit salad in advance but that's usually gone in two days tops

eta~ I make banana bread often, my kids loove that. And we do a lot of yogurt and granola for breakfast.

Last edited by threelittlehoneys; 10-05-2012 at 08:52 AM.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #14
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I like these oatmeal bars... they are good warmed up, fridge temp, or room temp and the "recipe" is soooo flexible.. I use up little bits of stuff hanging around the pantry. They are soft/moist... not like a crunchy granola bar.

2 c rolled oats (not instant or quick)
1 cup milk (or milk-like substance... soy, almond, etc all work fine)
1/2 c applesauce (or yogurt... or pumpkin... or whatever)
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs (or egg substitute)
can add sweetener as needed/desired... white sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, agave all work well. I often make it without added sweeteners.
dried fruit, nuts, seeds, chopped fruit like apples or pears, berries, extracts, spices etc...

Mix everything up and spread in an 8x8 pan (or cupcake tins) VERY WELL sprayed with nonstick spray. Alternately you can butter the pan really, really well. Cook at 350 (I have done up to 400 dep on other things I am baking at the same time lol) for 35-45 mins til golden brown. Cool and cut into squares/bars.

Some ideas:
-vanilla extract + pumpkin pie spice + pumpkin instead of applesauce
-blueberries and cinnamon
-almond extract, dark chocolate chips, and dried cherries
-vanilla extract, raisins, and cinnamon
-trail mix
-shredded coconut, coconut milk, dried pineapple, ginger
-and so on!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #15
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love old fashioned thick cut rolled oats and steel cut or scottish oats. I cook on the stovetop with water (you could use milk) and when its almost finished I add pumpkin puree and cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. To my bowl I add maple syrup and toasted pumpkin seeds that I buy in bulk. It is wonderful!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #16
jkdustin
Registered Users
seller

Baked oatmeal is great. It takes a while to cook in the morning, but reheats really well. you can make a bunch at a time. We love it.
jkdustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #17
Leocaligirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Even though all these recipes are vegan they are actually DELISH!

Hot Oatmeal Recipes

Vegan Overnight Oats recipes
Old 10-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #18
hibiscus869
Registered Users

I make my own 'instant' oatmeal. I get one of those large containers of instant oats, mix in brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, pumpkin spice, and some powdered milk. I mix it all together and store in an air-tight container. It lasts us about 6 weeks, we are big oatmeal eaters. I use instant ats because my DS likes to make his own breakfast and he needs something really easy, but you could do it with old fashioned oats too. I started doing this because we were going through SO many of those Quaker instant oatmeal packets, and this is SO much cheaper and so easy.
hibiscus869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #19
mommysweetpea
Registered Users
seller

My kids love waffles or pancakes (all made ahead of time and in the freezer) along with a hardboiled egg. It's their favorite breakfast and have it about 4 times a week. The other days I make oatmeal or scrambled eggs. I'm grateful they don't like cold cereal. We do keep cheerios on hand but they like them dry more for snacking on than breakfast.
mommysweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #20
juanitapalomita
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I cook this in my toaster oven in a pan that fits. I don't always use butter, and rarely have blueberries, but it is good and you can prep it before bed, then just put it together. You could really add whatever fruit you might have on hand, or frozen etc.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...Oatmeal-365069
juanitapalomita is offline   Reply With Quote