Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
nahrie
Registered Users

Re: Cost break down of any system for less than $400, including organic options

Quote:
Originally Posted by minneapolisite View Post
A bit; I did reply to that thread when it started.

Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #12
kelly679
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow! What a lot of work, thank you!
kelly679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:42 AM   #13
momgoddess
Registered Users
seller

That's some great info! My problem is that I'm a brat and I want all of the above! I wish I could just be content with one, simple, economical stash. But noooo, I have to be all obsessive and excessive n stuff.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #14
epanouie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always wanted to try wool and cotton (flats and fitteds), but thought this option would be way beyond our budget. However, I found this site with an amazingly easy pattern and have been able to make my little gal three longies and three shorties from three 100% wool thrifted sweaters that I got for $2 each! If I had made them single instead of double layered, I could have gotten six shorties out of the sweaters!
I also made some fitteds using cotton material I had leftover from making simple gift bags (yeah, I'm not a seamstress so my projects are super simple ). I didn't add all the layers, just a front and a back and some elastic, so I could use a pad-folded flat as the absorbent part so everything would wash and dry more easily. Also didn't add Velcro because I wanted to make them as one-size as possible. I made the tabs longer so I could pin them, and I could fold down the front til baby gets a little bigger.
I also made cloth wipes from $2 a yard cotton fleece. Sewed them up like little pillowcases, but closed all around. One yard was plenty for me.
Lastly, I got my flats from Walmart for $1 each in the kitchen section. They're really flour sack towels, sold in 5-packs for $5. I got four packs for a total of $20.
So all told, my diaper stash cost me less than what I've ever heard of anyone being able to diaper with...$30. (I already had the extra cotton and elastic for the fitteds; if you had to buy that of course that would cost more, but you could definitely get it all for $20 on the cheap! And I will need to make more covers as baby grows, but those are cheap, and fast to make.) Cloth diapering doesn't have to cost much! It does take a little creativity and sewing, but may I emphasize that I didn't learn to sew until recently and I did so on a borrowed machine. So, I'm just saying I'm not a great seamstress and there's nothing magical about it. I was just determined to cloth diaper. Hoping this could help/inspire some other moms out there who would like/need a very inexpensive (and cute, might I add! ) option.
This is my first post on diaper swappers! Glad to find this forum and all the great info!
Ok, just got a message that I can't post links. So for the above patterns, google how to make a wool diaper cover (born to love site), and how to make a fitted diaper (Diana's journal).
epanouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #15
dannic
Registered Users

Those are some fab ideas...I wish this thread had been around 2 1/2 yrs ago when I began...I had a 400$ budget.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
nahrie
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetysonfamily View Post
I always wanted to try wool and cotton (flats and fitteds), but thought this option would be way beyond our budget. However, I found this site with an amazingly easy pattern and have been able to make my little gal three longies and three shorties from three 100% wool thrifted sweaters that I got for $2 each! If I had made them single instead of double layered, I could have gotten six shorties out of the sweaters!
I also made some fitteds using cotton material I had leftover from making simple gift bags (yeah, I'm not a seamstress so my projects are super simple ). I didn't add all the layers, just a front and a back and some elastic, so I could use a pad-folded flat as the absorbent part so everything would wash and dry more easily. Also didn't add Velcro because I wanted to make them as one-size as possible. I made the tabs longer so I could pin them, and I could fold down the front til baby gets a little bigger.
I also made cloth wipes from $2 a yard cotton fleece. Sewed them up like little pillowcases, but closed all around. One yard was plenty for me.
Lastly, I got my flats from Walmart for $1 each in the kitchen section. They're really flour sack towels, sold in 5-packs for $5. I got four packs for a total of $20.
So all told, my diaper stash cost me less than what I've ever heard of anyone being able to diaper with...$30. (I already had the extra cotton and elastic for the fitteds; if you had to buy that of course that would cost more, but you could definitely get it all for $20 on the cheap! And I will need to make more covers as baby grows, but those are cheap, and fast to make.) Cloth diapering doesn't have to cost much! It does take a little creativity and sewing, but may I emphasize that I didn't learn to sew until recently and I did so on a borrowed machine. So, I'm just saying I'm not a great seamstress and there's nothing magical about it. I was just determined to cloth diaper. Hoping this could help/inspire some other moms out there who would like/need a very inexpensive (and cute, might I add! ) option.
This is my first post on diaper swappers! Glad to find this forum and all the great info!
Ok, just got a message that I can't post links. So for the above patterns, google how to make a wool diaper cover (born to love site), and how to make a fitted diaper (Diana's journal).
Totally awesome concept for those who have access to a sewing machine. Are these the links you were trying to post?
Wool Diaper Cover
Fitted Diaper
Welcome to Diaper Swappers!

Last edited by nahrie; 10-05-2012 at 06:41 PM.
nahrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #17
nahrie
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
Those are some fab ideas...I wish this thread had been around 2 1/2 yrs ago when I began...I had a 400$ budget.
I feel ya! 2 years ago I had a 145 dollar budget, and ended up getting things that only lasted me 3 months. I wish I knew then what I know now, which is totally why I posted this.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #18
Mom21
Registered Users
seller

Well right now someone could get the Flip deal for a great price with the buy 2 get 1 going on. It'd be $55.8 for 6 covers. I'm not the biggest fan of the stay dry inserts because my ds pees through them super fast. A more absorbent and even cheaper option would be 24 rainforest babies hemp fleece trifolds that are on clearance for $10/pack of 3. You could get 6 covers and 24 inserts for about $135. I have this combo, I added some of the cottonbabies suedecloth socks, but if I was in a financial crunch I'd have done this option, sewn my own suedecloth socks and picked up two Flip organics (GREAT price on opened ones at squishytushy.com btw) for overnight. Still looking at an easy system with high absorbency and stay dry for around $160, not bad!

Edited to add where to get the Rainforest Designs hemp trifolds - http://www.clothdiapersinc.com/proddetail.php?prod=6296 $79.6 would get you 24! I have a ton of 'em, they're awesome things. My ds is a supersoaker so they're no night option for us but they're amazing for the day and go head to head/might even win against Thirsties hemp prefolds.

Last edited by Mom21; 10-05-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Mom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #19
nahrie
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom21 View Post
Well right now someone could get the Flip deal for a great price with the buy 2 get 1 going on. It'd be $55.8 for 6 covers. I'm not the biggest fan of the stay dry inserts because my ds pees through them super fast. A more absorbent and even cheaper option would be 24 rainforest babies hemp fleece trifolds that are on clearance for $10/pack of 3. You could get 6 covers and 24 inserts for about $135. I have this combo, I added some of the cottonbabies suedecloth socks, but if I was in a financial crunch I'd have done this option, sewn my own suedecloth socks and picked up two Flip organics (GREAT price on opened ones at squishytushy.com btw) for overnight. Still looking at an easy system with high absorbency and stay dry for around $160, not bad!

Edited to add where to get the Rainforest Designs hemp trifolds - http://www.clothdiapersinc.com/proddetail.php?prod=6296 $79.6 would get you 24! I have a ton of 'em, they're awesome things. My ds is a supersoaker so they're no night option for us but they're amazing for the day and go head to head/might even win against Thirsties hemp prefolds.
Yes, those are very nice options, but I was aiming for things that were affordable all the time, as opposed to when they're on sale or clearance.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #20
Mom21
Registered Users
seller

Eh, it's cloth diapers... something's always on sale. The hemp prefolds have been in the clearance section for over a year. Anyway, I'm pleased with their performance against my $8/each Thirsties prefolds.