Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2012, 06:57 AM   #21
KrisM
Registered Users
seller

Re: Vehicle Advice

See, that's what location does! I just looked on autotrader and a 2002 Envoy with that many miles sells for $7000-$8000 here, so $7000 is too high on trade. And, a 2004 Sienna is $11,000. But, metro Detroit is skewed differently.

Anyhow, your original post said that it might be a strain to buy the minivan. It sounds like you'll have a larger loan, so larger payments (or longer loan). If more money is going towards a car loan, you'll have less money to fix the minivan if it also needs repair after a couple months.

I don't think it makes a big difference when you buy the new car, really. If you are ready to do it, sounds good! Take your time in finding the van you want. I think a lot of people make quick decisions and regret it later.

Advertisement

Earn gift cards or paypal at Swagbucks! Click Here to join the fun!
KrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #22
briggsy13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We drive a suburban and while I love the space we have I don't like the gas mileage. However I had a van before it and only got 19 mpg, my truck gets 15. So I felt like I wasn't losing much and gaining all sorts of room and 4 wheel drive. I have a friend who has a jeep patriot and they are a smaller suv that gets like 27-28 mpg. Which would be almost double what I get now but I'd be sacrificing the extra seating. We are in no position to do anything right now anyway. I've also heard great things about the Honda Pilot and it seats 7 if I'm not mistaken. And still gets great gas mileage.
good luck in figuring out what you are gonna do. Like others have said take your time and make sure you feel good about what you decide.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #23
briggsy13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oops DP

Last edited by briggsy13; 10-05-2012 at 08:01 AM.
briggsy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #24
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggsy13
We drive a suburban and while I love the space we have I don't like the gas mileage. However I had a van before it and only got 19 mpg, my truck gets 15. So I felt like I wasn't losing much and gaining all sorts of room and 4 wheel drive. I have a friend who has a jeep patriot and they are a smaller suv that gets like 27-28 mpg. Which would be almost double what I get now but I'd be sacrificing the extra seating. We are in no position to do anything right now anyway. I've also heard great things about the Honda Pilot and it seats 7 if I'm not mistaken. And still gets great gas mileage.
good luck in figuring out what you are gonna do. Like others have said take your time and make sure you feel good about what you decide.
You know I thought about a SUV with third row seats I am not a fan of my kids opening the doors and banging other cars in parking lots. The sliding doors on vans is a huge drawing point for me.
mrscompgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:48 AM   #25
briggsy13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscompgeek View Post
You know I thought about a SUV with third row seats I am not a fan of my kids opening the doors and banging other cars in parking lots. The sliding doors on vans is a huge drawing point for me.
Very valid point. We wanted 4 wheel drive bc we live in the boonies and there was a snow storm one year and if dh hadn't come home early that weekend (he worked away from home) we would have been stuck with no power or heat for 36 hours. So that was a huge thing for me. Plus my minivan had no storage and the seats didn't fold down like the newer ones do. If it had all wheel drive and stow and go seating I probably would have kept it. I did love my automatic sliding doors
Old 10-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #26
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggsy13 View Post
Very valid point. We wanted 4 wheel drive bc we live in the boonies and there was a snow storm one year and if dh hadn't come home early that weekend (he worked away from home) we would have been stuck with no power or heat for 36 hours. So that was a huge thing for me. Plus my minivan had no storage and the seats didn't fold down like the newer ones do. If it had all wheel drive and stow and go seating I probably would have kept it. I did love my automatic sliding doors
I do love the 4 wheel drive on my SUV, but right now we live in town and we are planning to move (house is for sale right now) and the couple houses we are looking at are all on main roads so getting stuck in snow/ice isnt a huge concern for us. Its nice to have 4 wheel drive but in my situation its not mandatory.
mrscompgeek is offline   Reply With Quote