Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #31
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do you think of moms who...

ds1 did well visits until around age 3, they NEVER did blood or urine tests we went in they did the standard physical (look in eyes, ears, nose, listen to chest etc)

Advertisement

Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #32
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is nobodies business but the parents.
whitneywalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #33
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
We have blood and urine tests at our well child visits. We fill out developmental surveys. Not all parents know when to expect certain milestones. They rely on their doctors to let them know if their child is behind in an area. Hips are checked. Walking gait is checked to be developmentally appropriate. Did you know that it is normal for babies and toddlers to be bowlegged, then for early school aged children to be knock kneed until around age 8? The abdomin is inspected for hernias. Outie belly buttons are often hernias and can go unnoticed by parents who have no clue or understanding of them. This is just off the top of my non-medical head.
Interesting. In my 12 years of mothering I have never had a ped check my kid's blood or urine unless there was a reason (swollen lymph nodes, possible UTI etc).
Old 10-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #34
mamaerica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not my kid, not my issue to worry about.

mamaerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #35
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyl08
Not a great idea, IMO, but not my kid, not my choice.
This
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #36
charise820
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
We have blood and urine tests at our well child visits. We fill out developmental surveys. Not all parents know when to expect certain milestones. They rely on their doctors to let them know if their child is behind in an area. Hips are checked. Walking gait is checked to be developmentally appropriate. Did you know that it is normal for babies and toddlers to be bowlegged, then for early school aged children to be knock kneed until around age 8? The abdomin is inspected for hernias. Outie belly buttons are often hernias and can go unnoticed by parents who have no clue or understanding of them. This is just off the top of my non-medical head.
my children only had blood work like once a year that's it and yes i did know all of that as well.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #37
charise820
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
ds1 did well visits until around age 3, they NEVER did blood or urine tests we went in they did the standard physical (look in eyes, ears, nose, listen to chest etc)
yep same here less than 5 minutes with my child and most of it was talking about shots and where the child slept because well they couldn't look at their notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah52 View Post
Interesting. In my 12 years of mothering I have never had a ped check my kid's blood or urine unless there was a reason (swollen lymph nodes, possible UTI etc).
same here my oldest I did well visits and at one they made him do blood work for no reason it took 4 nurses to hold him plus me I swore I would never torture him just because. When ill is different but just because I don't think so.

but if they did blood work every two months for well visits I think it would be torture. once I year maybe I can see that.

But my kids doc understand my standing on doctors and there place
Old 10-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #38
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As many have already said, "Nothing. It's not my business."

I don't care if you take your child to the doctor regularly or not unless it is necessary for your child's wellbeing and you chose not to do it. As long as your child is not being harmed, I consider it a non-issue.
Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #39
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by charise820 View Post
not sure how 5 minute visit with a doc will tell them more about my child than my being with them everyday.

Quote:
Whoa. None of my kids have ever had any blood or urine tests at a regular check up.
And, yup, I did know that. Did you know that all kids should be far sighted until they are school age, and then their eyes adjust to a "normal" vision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneywalters View Post
It is nobodies business but the parents.
end of the day
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #40
Icryinbaseball
Registered Users

I am one who doesnt. But then again My mom is a pediatiric RN and one of my good friends is a pediatrician. Any questions, concerns, or redflags are addressed by them. We also dont vax.
Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote