Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2012, 12:21 AM   #21
clothlover8
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Favorite Minimalist Products?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaith View Post
I'm working on slowly replacing our wire and plastic hangers with wood too! Your right, it makes the closets look sooo much nicer.

I've been meaning to switch to baking soda in a shaker and vinegar in a spray bottle for cleaning too, but.... You're right, it seems like a lot of work. Especially when u have bottles of expensive "green" cleaners I haven't opened yet.

Honestly, I was getting to hate my cloth diapers, until I switched to an easier system (gdiapers with prefolds to flips with pad folded flats). The ease of washing and drying for me makes up for the five minutes it takes me to pad fold them and put them in the bin.
I think I am going to try flats and/or pf's this week and see if it works out easier.

I love the switching to wood hangers idea, that would look so much nicer. I might see if I can find some at the opshop otherwise I probably couldnt afford it atm.

Advertisement

clothlover8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #22
lalaith
Registered Users
seller

They're five bucks for six at ikea, so every time we go I grab a pack. Only DH still uses plastic hangers now!
and the joy my munchkin brings!
lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #23
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

I picked up this Mikasa stoneware at my local thrift shop from the 70s. The bowls nest so well that I can fit all 15 in one neat stack
Old 10-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #24
cajsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd have to agree with the PP that said that her car and garbage can were her best minimalist tools. Although I'd add freecycle to ours as well. With 7 people under one (modest) roof, it's amazing how quickly rooms become cluttered/disorganized. I'm almost constantly on the lookout for things we can get rid off. This drives DH nuts, but keeps me sane I detest clutter with a passion, and it adds to my stress level-energy if things get too cluttered. I refuse to buy things like kitchen machines or gadgets, if I already have a way of doing that thing in the kitchen, such as deep fryers/salad spinners/milkshake makers, choppers/kerig (sp?) etc. Nope you won't find anything extra like that in my kitchen. The same goes for around the house.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #25
Joluru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaith View Post
I am soooo in love with this:

http://www.cherryterrace.co.jp/engli..._bowls_en.html

kitchen set. I only wish it weren't over $200!

What do you have/use/want in your minimalist journey?
So cool! I love stuff like this. If I was in a super tiny kitchen, I would spend the money to get something like what you linked to since it is so space efficient.

I was lusting after a similar plastic version by Joseph Joseph - http://www.josephjoseph.com/nest-range/nest-plus-9 - but it didn't get great reviews and I'm not sure I really need all the pieces.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #26
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

I guess sometimes I think it would be simpler to have a box of disposables and a packet of wipes that's it - rather than prefolds, covers, wipes, doublers, fitteds, diaper pail etc

Oh my gosh, I can totally relate to this! We are part time cloth, part time disposables and it actually drives me kinda nuts to have both "systems" around. And then with the cloth, it's already relatively simple, but sometimes I think about going back to flats & covers even though I dispised folding them.

The think the struggle with minimalism is finding what works without creating extra (unenjoyable) work. I don't mind washing 500 wipes & rags every week, but I need enough to last a whole week because I don't want to wash, dry, fold & put away 16 piles of clothes 4 times a week. So by minimizing the time I spend on something, I have to have more of it. *Hangs head in shame* I don't belong here.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #27
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:

I just discovered Method laundry detergent, probably the last person on the planet. But after one load, I think I am sold. Just opened up another thread on it.

Love that it has less packaging and pouches to refill my containers. My clothes smell fab, used the fresh air scent.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #28
lalaith
Registered Users
seller

Thought of another: coconut oil! At various times i have used it as face wash, deodorant, lotion, shaving cream, conditioner, as well as cooking with it.
and the joy my munchkin brings!
lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #29
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resellmybelle View Post
I just discovered Method laundry detergent, probably the last person on the planet. But after one load, I think I am sold. Just opened up another thread on it.

Love that it has less packaging and pouches to refill my containers. My clothes smell fab, used the fresh air scent.
I haven't discovered Method yet but I've heard people mention it. I presonally like my soap nuts. They are GREAT with my diapers, and cheap and clean well. You put 4 or 5 little nuts in a muslin bag and tie it shut and you can use it for muliple loads, and then you can even compost them. Not much packaging, little waste.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #30
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am also a soapnuts lover!

My favorite things are those that can be both funcitonal and decorative. I'm not a decorator (at all), but I want my house to be homey without all the crap on the walls and laying around.

1/2 gallon Mason jars in the kitchen are my newest thing. They hold most of my pantry staples and DH built me a couple open shelves making them easy to grab and nice looking too.

In our living room, we have an ottoman that's about 2' x 4'. It holds all of our blankets and library books, so they aren't laying around the room (and getting lost as in the case of the books).

As for diapers, I have streamlined that system as much as I can, I think. For the 3 little dc babies, I use Best Bottoms (I have 6 covers and 20 inserts). For the older kiddos, I use FB Perfect Size Pockets. I have 4 (one for each at naptime-otherwise they wear trainers). I do laundry every other day. I fill the washer as I change the kids before they go home (all wear sposies at home). Then run a cold cycle before going upstairs. While I'm cooking dinner, I run down and run them through a hot cycle. After dinner I toss them in the dryer. Sometimes I fold and sometimes we use out of the laundry basket-depends on how crazy the morning goes. Occasionally the 2yo help fold and that provides for morning entertainment.

Oh, also in the diaper laundry goes family cloth, dish towels, hand towels, spit up towels, and mama cloth if it's that time of month.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote