Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #11
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Think my 2 1/2 yr old has Croup.. what to do?

Our doctor never prescribes anything unless they are terrible. They just tell us to do the cool outside air and a hot steamy shower. The sound comes from their throat, not their lungs. It sounds worse than it is. I hope he feelsbettersoon,but I don't usually take them I because they have croup, but only if I can't manage it at home.

Advertisement

Last edited by Vivhop98; 10-03-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Vivhop98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #12
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
Ibuprofen works better, as it is an anti-inflammatory, so it helps with the swelling of the vocal cords.
Yeah, that's what I thought when you said Ibuprofen.

Thanks.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #13
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone.

He seems to be feeling a little bit better. When DH and I go to bed we'll put him in bed with us so that I can do the hot shower/head in front of the freezer thing if he starts coughing and feeling bad. And then he'll go to the doctor tomorrow. I'll sit in the "well" waiting room with the baby and DH will sit in the "sick" waiting room with DS3.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #14
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dd2 had a mild case of croup as a toddler. She sounded horrid but as long as we sat with her so she was more upright she did ok. She was breathing fine just sounded terrible. We took her to the dr and were told we just had to let it run its course. We had 3 nights of sitting up with her and she was fine.

Ds got it at 18 months and he got it bad. I almost took him to the ERthe first night he was struggling to breath so bad. Just when I was about to pack him up and go his breathing eased up a little bit (but it was still rough). Took him to the pedi around noon and he still struggling to breath normal - which typically croup is at its worst at night and eases up during the day. We were told to get 2 doses of prednisone into him or our pedi guarenteed we'd be in the ER with him that night because night 2 is almost always worse than night 1. We discovered ds can't keep predisone down. Thankfully our pedi was the after hours dr that night so he kept the clinic open late for us and I had to rish him in for a steriod shot. 4 hours after getting that shot ds finally started breathing pretty normal again. His croup was scary and I pray to never do that again.

I would be prepared to sit up in a recliner or something with your ds for the next couple of nights. That helped both my kids a ton.
Rhianna'sMommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #15
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would take him in, they can give him a dose of oral steroid (no shot) and that should help. The hot steamy shower helps too. One night I searched meds for croup to see if a dr could even treat DS4 if we did go in (no insurance and 2nd night he woke up unable to breathe and freaking out and coughing) and inhaled Budesonide came up, low and behold, my DS5 has asthma and that's one of his meds! I used the nebulizer with him and he was fine the next day! Now I keep it on hand. The baby got croup in Aug and has to use the neb now too... <le sigh> That's on it's 5th child! DS2, DS3, DS5, once for DS4 and DS6!!
Old 10-03-2012, 11:39 PM   #16
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

My 3 year old has croup too. Last night was the first bad night. Called the advice nurse and was told the hot steamy shower and then cool mist vaporizer. Unfortunately we didn't have one of those, so we tired the steam vaporizer.

I knew about the cold night air, but just my luck we are going through a heat spell and it was hotter outside than inside! But the freezer sounds like a good idea if it starts getting bad again tonight.

We have been pushing fluids all day and the fever seems to be disappearing. It was 102.5 for the last 2 days, but when I put him to bed tonight it was 98.3. Hoping it doesn't spike in the night! My brother's wedding in on Saturday, so I'm hoping he is better then and my 4 month old doesn't catch it!
Old 10-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #17
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Seriously - there is a reason that all grandmas have a story about Croup.

It is because as a parent in is so scary to witness. I feel scarred by my Croup experiences.

The good thing is that they do is most cases grow out of it because their airways get bigger. They still get the virus but it doesn't affect big kids and people the same way.

It is worse at night - for sure.

The cold air thing is what the recommend now. Like the other mamas said it is all about inflammation and the thought is that the cold reduces the swelling.

When my kids have had it in the past they slept in bed with us under our down comforter with the windows all open (so it was like 40 degrees in the room). This helped the sleep a lot.

If they do give the oral steroid it really helps, but it isn't instant. It takes hours to work. So if your night is bad tonight ask for one tomorrow so tomorrow night is better. We only ever needed one dose. But I had a nice doctor give me two doses (but instructed me to use only 1 dose) in the bottle one time (just in case my LO spit some out or we spilled it or something) - her idea - I thought that was really thoughtful.

Hope you have a better night.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #18
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Update: It wasn't croup.....Think my 2 1/2 yr old has Croup.. what to do?

for update

God bless!

Old 10-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #19
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_M View Post

for update

God bless!

Glad you guys got it figured out!
Old 10-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #20
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish3737 View Post
Glad you guys got it figured out!
Thanks.
He's already feeling better. I'm only doing the cough syrup at night, and only if he's been coughing shortly before bed time.

So glad!!

God bless!