Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mitral Valve Prolapse heart murmur and ABX in labor?

I don't understand why you would need antibiotics for that. Someone would have to give me a really good explanation and reason to consent to that.

Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #12
seacat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
I think it CAN be, but for the majority of ppl, no it is not.

In fact, from some of the stuff I've read a great number of people will have it and never even know.
I have it and didn't even know it. It showed up at the end of my first pregnancy because of the racing heart rate and they dismissed it as just being a side effect of pregnancy. It showed up again in my second pregnancy at the end and I went to a cardiologist where it was diagnosed and he said that because my symptoms only present when really pregnant 8+ they would do nothing and I did not have antibiotics for either vaginal delivery.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can't see why in the world you would need to have antibiotics for that I can see them being needed if you were having a c-sec, but that's a very different birth. Maybe they have a general "must have on board" protocol in case of an emergency c-sec? (not that I agree with that at all, but it would sorta explain it)

about the thrush troubles you had with your previous baby. Thrush is HORRID.
I have always been able to treat it using Dr Jack Newman's recommended APNO (All Purpose Nipple Ointment) and GV (Gentian Violet) treatment - very successful and very fast relieving the pain. It does turn baby (and your nipples!) to smurf blue - but it's well worth it!
Dr Newman also recommends using GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract) along with the APNO and GV, but I haven't found it necessary - and couldn't find it local, so I was glad I didn't need it.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #14
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Thanks ladies. I am waiting to see what my MW wants me to do. I want her to be comfortable with my choices, too b/c I think that gives me the best care. But I am going to need a really good reason to consent to IV ABX over this. Everything I am reading and seeing says it used to be common practice but it isn't anymore b/c of the overuse of ABX and the concern of ABX resistant bacteria, etc.

Our convo was in passing, so it could be that she was recalling info from years ago or something, I dunno.

I actually don't even want to go get the u/s done to be officially dx with it. How bad is that? Do you think that's a big deal? I only have the few symptoms I mentioned in the previous post. It worries me sometimes, but I've also always been very casual about medical care, and very much "if it ain't broke don't fix it" (like if I feel fine and not having huge issues, why go LOOKING for problems, ya know?) ... but I am not sure how serious it could be later or how useful a dx would be to me, really.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #15
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I definitely agree with having a good conversation with your MW about it all. Honestly, your care shouldn't be dependent on her agreeing with your choices. Her job is to inform you of both the pros and cons, and to support you in your decision, whatever you feel is best for you and your baby.

Sorry... have a tough time with people saying/thinking otherwise. I've had bad experiences with the MWs here, with 2 different pregnancies, because they refused to allow me to make decisions about my own care. I HATE care providers that act like they're the boss.

I would probably go and have the u/s, just to check on things. Maybe it's nothing serious, just something to note in your medical chart, but maybe it's something more than that that would require treatment or meds or something, kwim?
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #16
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post
I definitely agree with having a good conversation with your MW about it all. Honestly, your care shouldn't be dependent on her agreeing with your choices. Her job is to inform you of both the pros and cons, and to support you in your decision, whatever you feel is best for you and your baby.

Sorry... have a tough time with people saying/thinking otherwise. I've had bad experiences with the MWs here, with 2 different pregnancies, because they refused to allow me to make decisions about my own care. I HATE care providers that act like they're the boss.

I would probably go and have the u/s, just to check on things. Maybe it's nothing serious, just something to note in your medical chart, but maybe it's something more than that that would require treatment or meds or something, kwim?
Well, I've had HORRIBLE care before. I love my MW She delivered my last baby. I am VERY much not okay with being pressed into something that I am not 100% okay with.

What I was trying to say is that I have certain things I can compromise on to make my care provider more comfortable with caring for me. (I also think this is even MORE important in a homebirth.)

So, like, I'll do the heart tests if that would make her feel more confident that I don't have any major underlying heart issues, but I won't consent to the IV ABX if there is nothing major wrong.

That kind of thing.

I totally 110% agree with you about doctors with God complexes. I feel the exact SAME way!
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #17
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

She is probably afraid you will develop endocarditis. Which is basically bacteria or "vegetation on the valve". It can be really nasty if you do get it.

My experience is that being recommended antibiotics for MVP is old school. And considering your midwife probably studied cardiology a while ago that's why she is saying that. It's not really necessary for most people with MVP. I would get a cardiology consult to appease your midwife and follow the recommendations of the cardiologist. I personally don't see much of a risk from a normal delivery; dental procedures would be much higher risk.
evasimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #18
ElianasMomma8147
Registered Users

This is my first pregnancy and I have had MVP since I can remember. My OB asked me about it in our initial visits and asked me if I take antibiotics when I have dental work done. I never thought anything of it and it hasnt been mentioned since. Im going to have to ask on my next visit.
ElianasMomma8147 is offline   Reply With Quote