Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: How to lower water bill

Have you double checked to be sure you don't have any leaks anywhere? Double the bill seems kinda high for additional diaper washing. If you haven't already, go check all your toilets...put some food coloring in the tank then let it sit, if you have food coloring in the bowl, you have a leaking toilet. Double check the faucets too, be sure there are no leaks in the plumbing or under the sinks or anything.

Advertisement

happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #12
deezee02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would also double check for a leak.

Currently in our house we flush after every use, dh and I shower daily, ds (6) 5x a week, and bath the baby and my toddler 3 times a week each seperatly wash diapers 3times a week, do laundry and run the dishwasher daily and have 2 kids obsessed with washing their hands, and my water bill has gone up $30 in 5 years (adding cloth and 2 kids in the mix).
Old 10-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #13
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
Have you double checked to be sure you don't have any leaks anywhere? Double the bill seems kinda high for additional diaper washing. If you haven't already, go check all your toilets...put some food coloring in the tank then let it sit, if you have food coloring in the bowl, you have a leaking toilet. Double check the faucets too, be sure there are no leaks in the plumbing or under the sinks or anything.
I agree. Double is really high. When we garden in the summertime, our water bill goes up by $30 at the most, and that's with us watering it 2-3 times a day.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #14
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady
We did a whole system check with our landlord several months back when it first started, and replaced the toilet. That did reduce the bill by about $20 but didn't solve the problem.

I wondered if there could be leaks underground but I don't know enough about plumbing to even know where to look.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #15
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Ask your water company to check the meter. If you don't have any water turned on the meter shouldn't be turning. If it's turning while no one is using any water then you have an undiscovered leak.

Our water bill averaged $80-$100 a month before cloth. Now it averages $130-$150 a month. But this includes more than just diapers. I am home all day now. We went from 4-5 people. My daughter hit her teen years and now takes long showers daily. Plus our water rates went up about the time ds2 was born. We are also using cloth in the kitchen and bathroom now instead paper.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #16
jessica377
Registered Users
seller

Just a note - be careful with the brick - it can break down and cause issues for your toilet. The recommendation I have heard is to use a half gallon jug of water instead
jessica377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #17
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica377
Just a note - be careful with the brick - it can break down and cause issues for your toilet. The recommendation I have heard is to use a half gallon jug of water instead
That's good to know. We've done it for years with no issue, but not worth the risk.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #18
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

I would switch to flats or use them to stuff your pockets. Then you could wash them thoroughly with 3 water changes (rinse, wash, rinse) twice a week instead of 6 water changes 3 times a week (assuming you have a toploader). That would get you down from 1080 gallons a month just washing diapers to 360 gallons a month for diapers.
Melinda29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #19
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have a 2 liter soda bottle filled with water in each of our toilet tanks (instead of the brick).

Other than that, I have nothing different to add, except . Our bill went up by $3 when we started CDing. Nothing significant.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #20
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29
I would switch to flats or use them to stuff your pockets. Then you could wash them thoroughly with 3 water changes (rinse, wash, rinse) twice a week instead of 6 water changes 3 times a week (assuming you have a toploader). That would get you down from 1080 gallons a month just washing diapers to 360 gallons a month for diapers.
*faint*

1080 gallons

Oh dear God...
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote