Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #71
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Found this blog about Snap Benefits

I am just learning more about snap benefits as my younger sister just started receiving them. I will admit I was FLOORED with how much she gets. She is able to get $490 a month for herself and her 1 year old twin boys. They also get WIC. $490 a month is about 2x what my families budget is for food for 3 kids and 2 adults. I do understand that everyone doesn't get the same and it goes off number of people in the house but I am always floored when she tells me about the foods she buys with snap. I will also admit though that she is not the smartest with budgeting and in general does not understand proper nutrition but she buys a grocery store bakery cake 1x a week at least for herself, gallons of ice cream, steak, shrimp, giant boxes of soda etc. It just seems that maybe there is a flaw in the system when my sister who has 2 young kids who hardly eat anything is getting almost $500 a month and then I hear about larger families getting $100 a month and barely able to feed everyone.

Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #72
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbabybottoms View Post
I am just learning more about snap benefits as my younger sister just started receiving them. I will admit I was FLOORED with how much she gets. She is able to get $490 a month for herself and her 1 year old twin boys. They also get WIC. $490 a month is about 2x what my families budget is for food for 3 kids and 2 adults. I do understand that everyone doesn't get the same and it goes off number of people in the house but I am always floored when she tells me about the foods she buys with snap. I will also admit though that she is not the smartest with budgeting and in general does not understand proper nutrition but she buys a grocery store bakery cake 1x a week at least for herself, gallons of ice cream, steak, shrimp, giant boxes of soda etc. It just seems that maybe there is a flaw in the system when my sister who has 2 young kids who hardly eat anything is getting almost $500 a month and then I hear about larger families getting $100 a month and barely able to feed everyone.
Honestly, I hate hearing stuff like that. I mean no offense to your sister, and I understand that a large percentage of people on SNAP just don't have the education about food they need, but man. Last year we were in a VERY hard place money wise, and we have four kids and did not qualify for anything. We do get WIC, in fact, I always have since I got pregnant with my first, and that helps SO much, but even $100 would have gone so far. Knowing how much WIC she gets for two children that age on top of almost $500 frustrates me, because there are so many families that truly need it (and would use it wisely), yet instead my tax dollars go to give such large amounts to people who could obviously live on a lot less.

I worked at a gas station when my oldest was 2-3, and people would come in and use their SNAP for pop and candy, then use their TANIF (welfare) to buy beer. I personally know another women with two small kids that got almost $600 in SNAP and sold it for drugs. I can't stand people who abuse the system.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #73
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Of you know someone is abusing the system, report them. I told my sister I wouldn't hesitate to report her of she mentions selling her food stamps to me again. That was months ago and she hasn't said anything yet.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #74
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lensesforeyes View Post
Honestly, I hate hearing stuff like that. I mean no offense to your sister, and I understand that a large percentage of people on SNAP just don't have the education about food they need, but man. Last year we were in a VERY hard place money wise, and we have four kids and did not qualify for anything. We do get WIC, in fact, I always have since I got pregnant with my first, and that helps SO much, but even $100 would have gone so far. Knowing how much WIC she gets for two children that age on top of almost $500 frustrates me, because there are so many families that truly need it (and would use it wisely), yet instead my tax dollars go to give such large amounts to people who could obviously live on a lot less.

I worked at a gas station when my oldest was 2-3, and people would come in and use their SNAP for pop and candy, then use their TANIF (welfare) to buy beer. I personally know another women with two small kids that got almost $600 in SNAP and sold it for drugs. I can't stand people who abuse the system.
Oh, no offense taken at all. My sister is an addict (clean at the moment but it has only been a couple of months since she was clean and she is still on methadone) and she makes a lot of choices that I don't agree with. I was just floored when I found out how much she got and it's upsetting when my mom tells me she had to loan her money for food at the end of every month because her food stamps are gone. She lives with my parents and I know it is helping them not to have to buy food for her anymore, they pay for everything else in her life so I do know it's a break for them but the amount of food she can purchase is just insane. Her boys basically just eat the WIC food so most of the snap benefits go to feeding her. The system is so clearly flawed. My own family could without a doubt benefit from some sort of assistance. Our budget is stretched so tight but we don't even qualify for WIC, it just seems like the whole system needs to be overhauled.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #75
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbabybottoms

Oh, no offense taken at all. My sister is an addict (clean at the moment but it has only been a couple of months since she was clean and she is still on methadone) and she makes a lot of choices that I don't agree with. I was just floored when I found out how much she got and it's upsetting when my mom tells me she had to loan her money for food at the end of every month because her food stamps are gone. She lives with my parents and I know it is helping them not to have to buy food for her anymore, they pay for everything else in her life so I do know it's a break for them but the amount of food she can purchase is just insane. Her boys basically just eat the WIC food so most of the snap benefits go to feeding her. The system is so clearly flawed. My own family could without a doubt benefit from some sort of assistance. Our budget is stretched so tight but we don't even qualify for WIC, it just seems like the whole system needs to be overhauled.
I'm sorry to hear that. Makes me sad for her little boys. I hope she is able to clean up her life and provide a stable life for her kids.

I personally think mandatory nutrition classes should be part of the SNAP program. It will teach and inform those who are willing, and make those who are abusing it perhaps less likely to want to deal with it. Some WIC clinics did that around here for these special farmers market checks they hand out in June, and it really helped weed out the people who wouldn't use them. They are limited, so not enough for all on WIC, so the people who really wanted them had a much higher chance. When they implemented that, the percentage of unused and wasted ones went WAY down. So, maybe requiring one class for each month you get SNAP would help.

I was told by my employer if I reported people I saw abuse their benefits while I was on the clock, I would loose my job. I did report the women that was selling them for drugs. Doubt it did anything, but she ultimately ended up in rehab after stealing from multiple people we know. When one theft was a felony, the friend told her if she didn't go she'd press charges. It was sad. I don't particularly like the women, but I still feel bad for her and her kids. Addiction is a horrible thing!
Old 10-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #76
Avasmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Blessings View Post
I just don't see it the way you do. There are requirements in place in order to continue to receive the benefits. You have to either have employment, be able to show you are actively trying for employment and I am pretty sure there are some classes you have to take in regards to jobs. i remembering seeing that somewhere about the classes. You can offer budgeting classes, couponing classes, ect, (and i think that would be great) but you can't force someone to implement what is being taught. What if the people are limited to where they can shop? What if the food costs are high at that particular place? I remember seeing a special on tv and one woman stuck a cord with me. She was the mother of 2 kids. she had no transportation and was limited where she could go. She walked everywhere. The closest store to her had limited items and tehy were on teh expensive side. there were no real healthy options. she is not along in these struggles. there are so many variables into each situation and what they have available to them. ultimately, it's up to them. for the bottom line, it makes no difference to the program. $300 shelled out is still going to be $300 shelled out.
This must vary by state. In MA you DO NOT have to be employed to receive SNAP, in fact the majority of people receiving SNAP are unemployed. TANF however you do need to be employed or actively looking for work.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #77
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Only read some of the responses, but if we got $4 per day for each person in our family, that would be $20 per day and $600 per month! That's much more than our grocery budget is now, so that doesn't sound bad at all. (Of course it helps that we have a home, fridge, microwave, oven, etc. And know how to cook/meal plan.)
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:12 AM   #78
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm irked by the fact that people can and do depend on food stamps long term. We have family that has absolutely no intention of ever working. The 3 of them get over $500 a month for food. It's mind-blowing. I hate that they (not them specifically, but people in general) can just expect that food will be given whether or not they want to earn a living.

I remember years ago being on food stamps with my part-time job. I had the opportunity to pick up more hours, but my food stamp benefits decreased. It was very disheartening to work more hours and break even financially. I'm sure others have been in that position and felt unmotivated to work that extra little bit.

As far as $4 a day, I think that is do-able. SNAP is a supplemental benefit. It should be a safety net to help people out when they need it.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:30 AM   #79
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Dp

Last edited by blueone; 10-13-2012 at 09:51 AM.
blueone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:31 AM   #80
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oops dp

Last edited by blueone; 10-13-2012 at 09:50 AM.
blueone is offline   Reply With Quote