Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #121
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Homeschooling check-in

I'll join in!

I have a 1st grade DD and a Pre-k DS

Today went pretty well.

The virtue of the month is patience, so we read verses that related to patience .

This week is our Apple Week, so most of our activities are Apple related .

DD did morning work (Calendar work and journal) Sight word flash cards , math lesson #25 , Explode the code ,First language lessons, spelling and handwriting .

DS did a cut and paste apple tree where he had to cut apples out and glue them on the tree, colored an apple red , made the letter A out of play-dough and played in our apple sensory bin.

Together they learned about the life cycle of and apple (science) , We made a paper plate apple pies(Art), They pretended to bake them and then served them to one another. We have a fake pie that velcros together so I got that out and let them play with it.
Then we ate lunch which was caramel apples and sandwiches . We then made a real apple pie. They are now having to wait patiently to eat it for desert.

Advertisement

Last edited by AbbieJack; 10-03-2012 at 07:33 PM.
AbbieJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #122
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

How's everyone doing?

Today we have done Letters and Sounds (ds), writting, sight words, sounding words. Numbers with DD. Books on tape and manipulative play. Mostly I am trying to get the house in order for visitors next week. We have become majorly cluttered and I just want the house minimalist again so we can relax.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #123
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just about had a heart attack today when Tharen said "school work?" and I said yes and he didn't get angry. He then actually asked to do his math book because "it's fun." I think some one replaced my child with an alien clone. Of course we became distracted after working on dog training and played ball in the yard for a while. Kearnan went over on math work and now needs to vacuum the house for me (it is our deal to keep him on track or he tends to stare at the wall instead of working). Then we all got a little distracted sorting and playing with legos instead of reading. Oops... Tharen is going to help me with chores after lunch and Kearnan is going to finish his school work and then vacuum. Tonight is derby night so Tharen is excited for that. I think we are going to miss history again but we should be able to get through everything else.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #124
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yeah for you, Shannon, that they were feeling cooperative yesterday. That makes everything so much easier.

Heather I'm hoping since we haven't heard from you in a day or two that you're having a baby! But if you haven't had that kind of luck yet, can you tell me if Singapore 1A/1B is quite a bit harder than CBM or if they're pretty comparable? I still haven't made my math decision yet, although we've done a few pages in the CBM, but we're mostly using games and hands on stuff right now.

As for today--we've done everything we needed to do this morning and it went very well! It was very encouraging after how the rest of my week has gone. We're doing the review part of MFW 1st (we're on day 5...or is it 6?). We're doing most of it's recommended stuff but tweeking the math and I'm using our hooked on phonic K book to review. I've been having them read me a few stories a day and having Keegan work on his blending. I'm hoping he'll be reading to move on by the time we get past the review part because all this "write you letters" stuff seems like a bit of a drag. But it would probably be different if you actually started after a summer break and needed to review it, lol. I've looked ahead in the teacher's manual a bit and it's making me a bit nervous to see how fast the reading part goes so I'm trying not to do that anymore and just take it one day at a time.

Hope everyone else's day is going swimmingly!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #125
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh yeah! I wanted to share a sucess story from this morning. Our memory verse for this week is Proverbs 9:10 (The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.) Today I said "The fear" and my almost 3 YO pipes up and say "Of the Lord." I know that may not seem like much to some, but we're talking about a child who has serious issues recalling information. Like, she can't remember people's names that she sees a couple times a week, and has trouble recalling the basic animal names. It's stuff she knows, but it's like she can't bring it to the forefront of her brain. So I was SOOO excited!!!

ETA: FTR, I'm not actually trying to teach her memory verses, she's just been in there when the other kids are learning them.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #126
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Jessica - Welcome to the group!

Rain - It's so hard to keep the clutter down. I totally understand.

Shannon - Sounds like you had a good day yesterday. I hope today is just as good with a good attitude from Tharen.

AFM - (means As For Me for whoever asked) No school yesterday. It was a bit of a crazy day with my OB appt late in the morning and then making tons of phone calls in the afternoon trying to get our refinance settled. Turns out, it's getting pushed all the way to next Wed when it was supposed to be yesterday. (Not our fault at all.) Talk about adding more stress to the last weeks of my pregnancy. My BP was down at my appt yesterday. So, I'm good to go till next Tuesday. Hopefully, baby will be here before then.

I have decided to keep going when we can. We've just taken so much time off and I feel more productive and less stressed when we do school. So far today, we did calendar activities and phonics. We also did a very small amount of math. I'm still working through where to start in our new math program, but I'm planning to get him started this afternoon. I'm also planning to have him read in his Bible reader this afternoon. We'll see how much of that happens.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #127
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Jen - It took me so long to type my above post between taking care of the kiddos that you posted in the meantime.

The Singapore does take them farther than the CBOM does. I'll have to compare them more in depth for you later. But, the Singapore starts on basic multiplication (if I'm remembering correctly) and the CBOM does not. I'll look more closely later tonight. My son likes the CBOM, but I felt *I* needed more instruction and I felt that he needed to go farther this year. It seems very simple to me. I'm thinking we'll still use the CBOM as a supplement. Oh and when we started 1st, we were doing mostly hands on too, but I quickly realized that for Zack, he needed more in-depth.

We only took about a 1.5 off between K and 1st and the review seemed dull to me too. Zack never complained about it and seemed happy to do it. I may have skipped some of it if he'd complained. Since he didn't, we just kept going. I was glad when it was over.

I was very nervous about how fast the phonics goes after the review. Zack was blending really well at that point, but he really doesn't like reading. It's a struggle to get him to do it simply because he really doesn't like it. (It isn't the program. Anytime I ask him to read something himself or sound something out, he complains. Today, I asked him to read the directions to something because I knew he could read the sentence. He got huffy and didn't want to. He just doesn't like it because it isn't easy for him.) So, I was pretty nervous it was going to go to fast for him. I thought the pace of K was pretty right on target for him. However, it turns out all my worry was for nothing because he really isn't having any trouble with the pace. Obviously, we've taken a big break, but we really weren't stopping, taking breaks or review days before this. He was fine. There is a lot more review built in than I realized. Plus, you can always slow it down if you need to or put in some review days.

(BTW - It also took me like 40 minutes to get this posted. Kiddos and I had to stop in the middle to get some bread started in the bread machine for dinner tonight. I realized if I didn't start it right then, we wouldn't have it. LOL.)

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 10-05-2012 at 12:13 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #128
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, 3 posts in a row. I'm special. Or long winded.

Jen - Okay, I compared the two books more closely. Honestly, the only thing Singapore teaches that the CBOM does not is basic multiplication and pre-division. The CBOM teaches 3 digit addition and subtraction with carrying or regrouping (p. 198-230). Singpore does not. Singapore goes farther in money than CBOM does. Both do basic fractions. CBOM does half's, forth's and thirds and shows them in fraction form. Singapore doesn't do do thirds and does not show them in fraction form. Time is done more in-depth in CBOM (to the :15 instead of only :30.) They learn to measure in inches in CBOM and don't in Singapore.

All that to say, now that I'm really comparing the two, I'm realizing that actually, the CBOM really does cover the same things and even takes them farther many things. But, it LOOKS so simplistic, which I think makes it decieving. The only thing I'm seeing missing from CBOM is the multiplication and division. So, now I'm wondering.....did I just waste money? I guess my thinking was that I'm not so into the complex hands on stuff that is a lot of the CBOM and I just felt like I, as the teacher, needed more direction to make sure I am not missing something. An example of that would be that the Singapore instruction guide tells exactly when to memorize math facts and IMO the MFW 1st isn't a great guide on that. My other thought was if we are going to use Singapore (which was the plan) for elementary math, I just wanted to start with them from the beginning. It just felt like I needed a "real" curriculum. Now, I'm realizing, since Zack likes the CBOM and it actually is complete (minus the multiplication/division), why not just stick with it and ignore the hands on that is more intricate than we are interested in? (Too bad I struggle so much with confidence and needed to buy this to make sure I was doing it "right." )

I think I'm probably going to use a combo of the 2, which actually was my original plan until I received the Singapore and for whatever reason started singing a different tune. I know Zack will like the pages in the CBOM better because of all the animals. But, the Singapore gives me more direction and a better grasp of what exactly to teach when. Plus, I do want him to get the multiplication. I think I'm going to ditch the MFW guide pages though and follow Singapore's instructor's guide more closely. Zack doesn't need to go through patterns and sorting and such a second time.

I don't know where Keegan is with regard to math. I find that Zack knows some of this already but not others (like he can measure in inches, but isn't great with telling time). He could skip a lot of it, but I'm going to quickly review things he already knows anyway. I feel like I do need to go through this level of program to make sure he has the foundation. (Plus, he doesn't have it all.) But, I'm happy to let him fly through it and then move on to the next level (2nd grade) earlier than moving up in MFW programs if that's what happens.

That was long. I hope it helps.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 10-05-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #129
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

Well, sorry I've missed out for a few days. We were about out of internet time and I had to wait for our "new month" to start today. We had an okay week. I had a lot of appointments and interruptions this week, but I am so blessed to have my mom close by to pick up the slack. She basically covered the three R's with everyone each day and kept up with the laundry and dishes to boot! Today we went to visit my best friend who had her 2nd girl 2 weeks ago. (The kids had been begging to go see her, but we waited for the colds to be over.) I also managed to finish my planner and get more of a schedule together. So hopefully next week will go a little more smoothly.
Just wondering if we are going to keep going on this thread every week or should we start a new one each Monday?
Old 10-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #130
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedavid2011 View Post
Well, sorry I've missed out for a few days. We were about out of internet time and I had to wait for our "new month" to start today. We had an okay week. I had a lot of appointments and interruptions this week, but I am so blessed to have my mom close by to pick up the slack. She basically covered the three R's with everyone each day and kept up with the laundry and dishes to boot! Today we went to visit my best friend who had her 2nd girl 2 weeks ago. (The kids had been begging to go see her, but we waited for the colds to be over.) I also managed to finish my planner and get more of a schedule together. So hopefully next week will go a little more smoothly.
Just wondering if we are going to keep going on this thread every week or should we start a new one each Monday?
I've been wondering the same thing. I think we should start a new one each week. Long threads are a pet peeve of mine.

That is awesome about your mom helping out! My mom lives about an hour and half away and is a missionary based here. She helps as much as she can and would love to help more. She would teach the kids for me if she was closer and I needed her for the day. (She is leaving on the 19th to go to Thailand, which is one reason I need this baby to hurry up and come. ) I know my mom would love to be more involved in our schooling than she is. But, alas, we had to move farther out because of cost of living and my step-father works there.

ETA - I'm hanging around a lot because I "rest" at my desk in front of my computer. Sitting on the couch doesn't work because the kids want to lay with me, which means 5 kids on me and unfortunately, it's super uncomfortable right now. Hence, my many and quick replies that make it look like I do nothing but hang out here, which is sort of true.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 10-05-2012 at 06:00 PM.