Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2012, 07:32 AM   #21
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

Re: What no one tells you about breastfeeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
It's okay to feed baby at the restaurant table instead of the bathroom.

Feeding bottles can cause supply issues.

No matter how natural breastfeeding is there is still a learning curve for both mother and baby.

OB nurses in general know little to nothing about breastfeeding. They just don't know how little they really know.

Doctors often seem to know even less.

A good lactation consultant can do wonders to help.

Look for La Leche League. Knowing other nursing moms can make you feel less alone.

A good pump is nice to have already. If problems arise you don't want to be looking with a hungry baby or have to give formula while looking.

I know of no effective way to prep the nipples although you may be told to do so.

Just because your little one can verbally ask to nurse does not mean he or she is too old to breastfeed.

Feeding on demand is not spoiling them nor will you have an obese child. Most breastfed babies will not overeat. Rolls are normal on babies. So too are leaner babies. Just like adults are all different so too are babies.

Breastfed babies need to wake at night to feed even up to a year of age or older.
Could not have said this better myself!!!

Advertisement

*TinyJoys* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #22
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

Like others have said, the bond is amazing!!! I'm trying to wean my almost 16 month old ds right and I'm struggling. He loves to nurse in the morning and before bed and I love it too. I don't think I need to list all the pros and cons again and don't have anything too useful to add but I would have to say do your research and even though bf'ing is definitely work (in the beginning more so) it is SOOOO worth it!
*TinyJoys* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #23
Veg's Dragonflies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktwamomma View Post
Something I NEVER see people mention in threads like this....Breastfeeding causes uterine contractions. It's great bc mom heals faster...it sucks because those contractions can be pretty intense and with each subsequent baby they can get more intense. With my last lo (#3, 8 weeks old) the contractions during the first week or so while nursing were almost as bad as when I was in labor. So bad that I would cry the whole time we were nursing and I wanted to quit sooo bad!
You are right about that. No one ever mentions that contraction during breastfeeeding. I did find out a lot before my last birth (#7). I made sure to eat a pineapple every day along with smoked salmon and trout, macadamia nut and up my dosage of evening primrose oil. My contraction were so minor compared to the last 6 births. And my contractions afterwards were non-existant. I also ingested out placenta to help with this and the post-partum depression which also non-existant. YAY! So I think it all works together to help. If you have any questions about any of this and want to PM me, please feel to.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #24
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktwamomma
Something I NEVER see people mention in threads like this....Breastfeeding causes uterine contractions. It's great bc mom heals faster...it sucks because those contractions can be pretty intense and with each subsequent baby they can get more intense. With my last lo (#3, 8 weeks old) the contractions during the first week or so while nursing were almost as bad as when I was in labor. So bad that I would cry the whole time we were nursing and I wanted to quit sooo bad!
Wow... mine never hurt like that! I can feel my uterus contracting, but nothing as strong as labor.

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #25
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My uterine contractions were really strong with DS. I didn't remember them being bad at all with DD.

I also wanted to add another plug for visiting a lactation consultant ASAP if you're having doubts or issues. Keep searching for a LC you like, if need be. The first LC we found wasn't super helpful, but the second was awesome!!

Also, lanolin is your friend. It will stain, so wear pads to protect your clothes/bra.

Oh, and Bravado nursing tanks are awesome, IMO. Totally worth the cost if you're a tank kind of person.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #26
Xythnia
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My advice would be the same as everyone elses...except ALL of you (baby, you...your SO, etc) need to agree to give it like 2 weeks with support + assistance! You both need time to figure it out - plus some babies really have to build those jaw muscles up to nurse well - my girls would get tired and they don't have to 'work' for bottle milk.

DD#1 was EBF for 2 years. It was wonderful and she even weaned beautifully. But the first 2 weeks were HORRID! Engorgement, pain (as in bleeding, skin cracking, blisters), both of us crying at night in the living room so Daddy could sleep. We didn't know how to latch properly. It took 2 weeks for me to teach myself enough online + nipples getting used to it + Lanolin (Godsend!) to figure it all out. By the 3rd week, we had it down! No midnight bottles, no getting out of bed, no expensive formula - it was lovely! I learned to nurse in our ring sling so well, no one knew she was nursing!

My DD#2 is nearing 4 wks old. I did EXACTLY the same 2-wk nonsense! It was made worse this time due to c-section pain, letting the hospital ped. scaring us because DD lost 10% of her birth weight, giving her bottled formula because they had to give me a strong diuretic and that was all on TOP of the same stuff I went through with DD#1!!

Thankfully, this time we DID see a great, inexpensive lactation nurse (IF your in Phx, AZ - check out Babymoon Inn's Wed Breastfeeding Support Group!). When we got DD latched and I could HEAR her swallowing (little, high pitched gulps) I started crying...I didn't realize how stressed/depressed I was getting. Also, my mom got me the Medela Pump-in-Style way earlier than I thought I would need it...well thank goodness she didn't listen to me! It has been great for engorgement, bottle feeding her my milk to give my nipples a few days to heal, starting frozen storage early and learning to use the thing well!

BTW: DD2 had bottles starting on day 5. She didn't have nipple confusion but it took her longer to work her muscles up to nursing well. It also made it psychologically harder on me when she would get fussy on breast. Took me a bit to realize I would want my milk the easy way too! She only had bottles for 7 days, weaning them down by the 3rd day and now she nurses like a champ at 3wks+5days.
ISO: Size 1 Mini Nappis, Capris, Simplex, and Thirsties
Xythnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #27
loni1090
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I found it was a lot easier to breastfeed at night than to have to deal with bottles. Each baby was different, but 3 out of 4, I had painful engorgement
Old 10-22-2012, 05:11 AM   #28
Angel89411
Banned

If a baby starts the flow then pops off, it will just keep shooting everywhere until you stop it or there isn't enough for it to happen.

Your nipples can get sore in the later months by an over curious baby popping on and off repeatedly.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #29
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Only "bad" for me is sore nipples for a couple wks while they get used to the baby sucking but I can deal with it no prob b/c I love having a BFing relationship with my baby.

I would suggest having a pump on hand b/f baby arrives. I started pumping within the week I was home. Some people don't like being strapped to the pump and having to take it places but I don't mind at all. If we're going somewhere I'll take it with me and pump in the car if I need to (love car adapters!). Check to see if your insurance will cover all or part of the cost of one. I only paid $40 for mine b/c my ins paid most.

Get a nursing cover. If you aren't comfortable NIP you'll want one plus it comes in handy for pumping on occasions (like in the car).

So many goods of BFing. I love the closeness I have with my baby and the alone time we get together during those times. BFing is very portable. Don't need to take any bottles or heat anything up! Less in my dipe bag! I know my baby is getting the best food possible and when sick my antibodies help her get better.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:34 AM   #30
bohemianxchaos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When baby is howling / pukey, wanting to nurse but popping off, etc, instead of listening to 'oh you dont make enough milk' consider eliminating things from your diet instead ( dairy, caffeine). Its something like 1% of women truly dont produce enough.

Babies are supposed to nurse way often and on demand. Its critical for your supply that you allow it. Even those annoying short nurses just to nod off.

Oversupply: others have mentioned it, but dude, i am still spraying at 7weeks pp. I use a prefold to catch my spray. Also, let your baby pop off and wait for the letdown to slow. Otherwise they're a sputtering mess.

Avoid using soap on ypur nipples, or rinse reaaaalllllly well. It dries them out - not something you wanna deal with on top of soreness.

Some babies sleep stretches. Some dont. Doesnt mean you arent making enough (you are!) Or that hes not full (he is!). Its normal.

And remember that breasts were here long before bottles and formula so yes, it IS possible to nurse exclusively

'Smartphone' approved