Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
jojoreta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Share you yummy, easy, and cheap recipes please!

So my husband is off work for a month (shutdown at work, happens every year) I am supposed to be having a baby any day now so I thought getting some new fresh ideas from other mamas would be a good idea!

**not so patiently waiting for baby #3 to arrive**

Advertisement

jojoreta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm on a biscuits and gravy kick. We've been eating it probably twice a week but it's easy, cheap, and not filled with chemicals since I make it from scratch with just a few ingredients. I use whole wheat flour and add freshly crushed flax seeds to make it a smidge healthy lol. We've also been doing a lot of tortilla roll ups... Pizza roll ups, deli meat, random leftovers.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Share you yummy, easy, and cheap recipes please!

We have a few "budget" meals that we do when we are really trying to cut corners. Homemade pancakes with turkey bacon or really any breakfast for dinner meal
lentil soup-I put it in the crockpot and really just toss in what I have, usually several handfuls of lentils, a couple handfuls of kale or spinach, chopped carrots, diced tomatoes if I have them, onion, and chicken broth usually. My kids love it and will eat on it for a week
Pinto beans w/ greens and cornbread-so so cheap and tasty
Old 10-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
You can stretch one chicken a looooong way. Roast a chicken and a veg (carrots, say) and do chicken, carrots, and bread/rolls for dinner one night. Then pull chicken off the bone and make stock from the carcass ( I use the crockpot). You can do chicken tacos, chicken and rice or noodle soup, chicken stirfry, chicken salad, etc. when we're in a lean time the proportion of fillers (like rice or beans) goes way up. Sometimes I will skip the "first night " dinner and head straight to the stretcher meals!
Also don't overlook breakfast for dinner! Scrambled eggs and from scratch pancakes are cheap, easy (can even freeze the pancakes) and would generally not require a trip to the store
Old 10-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
smores
Registered Users

Curry lentils over rice. LOVE this. Also chicken enchiladas, homemade pizza (grilled is awesome!) and twice baked potatoes are pretty cheap

i blog here
smores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
jojoreta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Yummy!!

Ok, this may be stupid but how do I make biscuits and gravy? (I know I know! Lol)

**not so patiently waiting for baby #3 to arrive**
jojoreta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's okay! I had to google it, and I still need the recipe because I always forget the quantities lol. This is the one I use, just modifying it with 1/2 whole wheat flour instead, and we use rice milk in the biscuits because YDS has reactions to dairy (he doesnt get gravy yet)
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/D...uits-and-Gravy

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
Charlee'sMommy
Registered Users

Great ideas! i will be checking back for more!
Charlee'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:26 AM   #9
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We do quesadillas.
Hubby likes his with some chicken in it, but the kids are just fine with just cheese.
I typically get an avacado and feta to put in mine - or spinach

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote