Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-06-2012, 06:13 AM   #11
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: This made me cry first and then made me get out my camera.

I think it's an excellent reminder to everyone. I 100% completely agree with the article and have been saying it for a long time myself.

Unfortunately it's difficult though to follow my own advice. Being a photographer, it's just expected that I am the one taking the pics. I am always the one behind the camera. It's difficult to be in the pics when you are the one pushing the shutter button. Taking pics of myself takes quite a bit of effort. And getting anyone to take pictures OF me is kind of a pain. DH is a typical guy regarding pics, so when I hand him the camera and tell him to take pics, he gets stupid and deliberately takes REALLY bad ones or pointless crap like pics of the ceiling fan, back of my head, etc.

My MIL passed away August of 2011, so a little over a year ago. My youngest was not quite a year old yet. There is ONE single picture in existence of my MIL and her youngest granddaughter. One. There are NO pictures, as in zero, of my MIL and all her granddaughter's together. There are NO pictures of DH's entire family, like nothing that includes MIL and FIL and SIL and BIL and DH and I and the girls. NOTHING. Her only grandson will be born any day now and he will never have the opportunity to meet her...but in pictures, it looks like her other grandkids barely met her either. It's really sad and makes me sad for them and makes me feel guilty because I didn't push for it either. There are plenty of pics of my whole family together, all 20 of us, but I couldn't get the 8 or 9 of us together to get pics on DH's side.

Advertisement

happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #12
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

I am always bothered that there are hardly any pictures of me with the kids. I can't stand to see myself in pictures, but I care more about being in them to shy away. DH is in tons and tons of pictures with them and I sometimes ask him to take over and get some pics of me with them. But then sometimes it feels staged and I hate that. I just wish he would think to take candid pics of me with them but after almost 10 years together and all kinds of talks about it, it just doesn't sink in with him.

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #13
bama
Registered Users
seller

i don't agree with it. My dad died when I was 2. We have pictures of him and when I was a child all they did was make me terribly sad and remind me how unfair it was that he died when i was so small. Now, I rarely look at them
bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #14
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Love it, I often take pictures of the two of us.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #15
Angel89411
Banned

I do try to get pictures with my kids no matter how I look. I had a close call 3.5 years ago and one of my thoughts before surgery was "will my son remember what I look like?" He was 10.5 months old so I knew with the few pictures I had left behind of us together, he wouldn't have much to piece our life together with.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #16
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainfall
I am always bothered that there are hardly any pictures of me with the kids. I can't stand to see myself in pictures, but I care more about being in them to shy away. DH is in tons and tons of pictures with them and I sometimes ask him to take over and get some pics of me with them. But then sometimes it feels staged and I hate that. I just wish he would think to take candid pics of me with them but after almost 10 years together and all kinds of talks about it, it just doesn't sink in with him.
I could have written this.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #17
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

It made me bust out the camera, too. And, hand it to DH instead of hiding behind it myself.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #18
hibiscus869
Registered Users

This strikes a chord for me. I am very critical of myself in pictures. My DH took pictures of us all last weekend and there was ONE of me he'd managed to get. I of course was thinking how bad I looked when he told me how beautiful it was and it's his favorite picture. I need to just stop being so critical of myself!
hibiscus869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #19
bobbyjk
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had read this article before I saw this thread. I thought it was a good reminder - but for a different reason. I'm not worried about how I look in the photos (generally) but I do worry that there aren't enough candid shots of me and my DD. I am usually the one with the camera and I love getting candid shots of DH and DD together. I agree with a PP that I wish he would sometimes think to take some candid shots and not have me ask him to take our photo.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #20
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post

My MIL passed away August of 2011, so a little over a year ago. My youngest was not quite a year old yet. There is ONE single picture in existence of my MIL and her youngest granddaughter. One. There are NO pictures, as in zero, of my MIL and all her granddaughter's together. There are NO pictures of DH's entire family, like nothing that includes MIL and FIL and SIL and BIL and DH and I and the girls. NOTHING. Her only grandson will be born any day now and he will never have the opportunity to meet her...but in pictures, it looks like her other grandkids barely met her either. It's really sad and makes me sad for them and makes me feel guilty because I didn't push for it either. There are plenty of pics of my whole family together, all 20 of us, but I couldn't get the 8 or 9 of us together to get pics on DH's side.
I always make sure I get pics of everybody when we're together. Particularly the older members. Most of my family was gone before I was born. Actually being able to see my grandparents means a lot even if I never met them. People would tell me I have my grandmother's chin or whatever, those pictures are all I have. So I make sure that I get plenty so that dd and ds will always have them too.