Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #61
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chicken Moma chat thread. Share, Q&A, all things chicken! <3 October <3

Haha! It's so funny you mentioned oats. We ran out of feed a week befor emy check came this month. I cooked daily for the, Huge pots of oatmeal, giant loaves of bread and buiscuits, huge pots of boiled potatoes. Now there's spoiled, lol. also took a bunch of extra veggies and mad eveggie soup. What they really like is a pan of fresh bread and pour a container of almond milk to sop in it.

The only reasion we medicate them is becaus ewe have a big problem with ur location and wildlife bringing in disease. They have had some pretty serious symptoms a cpl times. Now I just keep up with prevention with bringing in new hens. I'm gonna toss some soil in our brooder bins when the chicks hatch. I read it they are exposed to their natural soil, they can be immuned to the ickies like cocci. Have to start with small doses, then they will be fine out in the coop and running free. I think I just about have everything worked out.

I bought the stuff to to the waterer warmer! Now gotta find a 3/8 drill bit. I got one light, need one more. I cleaned the coop really well yesterday with all this rain and mud it had gotten super bad. I'm gonna pull the nest boxes out and add 2 more so I can rearange. I have 2 that don't get used and the little cochin keeps hideing behind in the one spot. There are other places to hid so I need to block that off. I can't easily clean back there.

Oh shoot. I LOVE the little jacket! Ray would have a hissy if I did that. How precious! I may need to make a little quilt jacket for Tinket, the itty cochin. She's almost trippled in size now, but not enough I feel comfy for her to stay watm while outside. Something to think on.

So I scoared you guys! I found a corn/walnut shucker, antique cast iron yesterday. $35. But, I have it cleaned up now and I'l oiling it and gonna cure it so we can use it next yera. Ray is gonna help me with taking down some more trees so I have more garden room. We're gonna bring the main garden all the way up to the house! That'smore than double. I'm gonna go with something like poplar logs to do some raised beds. The ground is down to the bed rock/gravel layer up there. Hopeless. The previous owners stripped all the top soil, hence all my issues with depleate dirt. I'm composting everthing i can get my hands on. We also plan to get loads and loads of cow manure. One guy had an add that he would load. Gotta find him again!

Ray also agreed to start saving up for a dairy goat for Cayden! The allergist is confident he'll do well with it.

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #62
Happy Mommax4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Wow Sarah! You're one busy Momma!! That's a steal for your new toy!!

Yes we have drainage issues here as well but only in our back yard. That doesn't affect the girls. I'm going out soon for our big clean out and worming and assessment of everyone! I've gotta get the hubs to assist.

I couldn't find the ivermectin that was recommended, ill have to try and order it online I guess, oh btw love the chicky cape!
Old 10-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #63
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Sarah I haven't bought anything yet. I went and read some more on different wormers and to be honest my head is spinning a bit now. Peeps on BYC contradict what is specifically says on labels regarding what each wormer will kill and many are suggesting using Wazine and then a broad spectrum after. I'm just not feeling good about that. Plus that could get ridiculously expensive. The frontline was about a month ago now I think? But it's systemic, it stays in their oil glands for 3-4mos. I would have never thought of the pump bottle for cleaner, that's a great idea!

That chicken cape is awesome! LOL! If you seriously think your hens might be cold, you could get them or make them aprons. I did make a couple for my picked on girls, they were super easy. I backed them with felt for stability but if you did a couple layers they would actually be really warm and keep their core heat in better. And I'm just as crazy apparently, I fully plan on making the girls warm mash on the coldest mornings.

Oh sarah, you're crazy but I love ya! LOL The shucker sounds neat I'd love to see pics! How fun that you are getting a goat, I bet Caden is beside himself. I'd love to have a mini jersey cow. It's going to take a lot of convincing dh though. He'd like to have a goat instead.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #64
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Mommax4 View Post
Wow Sarah! You're one busy Momma!! That's a steal for your new toy!!

Yes we have drainage issues here as well but only in our back yard. That doesn't affect the girls. I'm going out soon for our big clean out and worming and assessment of everyone! I've gotta get the hubs to assist.

I couldn't find the ivermectin that was recommended, ill have to try and order it online I guess, oh btw love the chicky cape!
This is it sweetie. I paid $18 at the feed store and it will last years! Just .5 cc/nl-1cc/ml does it. It covers what wazine doesn't. The combined with give complete protection if you are unsure of the exact issue. that's why I had to purchase both. Now we do both on any newly introduced girls too.
: http://www.lambertvetsupply.com/Prod....aspx?id=37436

I wouldn't waste money ordering, save and hit up somelocal feed stores. It's marked for cattle.

I fixed the drainage issue today. Dug a trench around the coop/run and it will now flow around the girls and down the hill. We also built up the dirt around the fenceing. Got most of the winterization done to the coop today. Boy that was one He!! of a job. Also put in 3 more nest boxes. Can't wait to get the mulch and stop fooling with this hay!
Bout froze to death out there in the wind doing all of it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Sarah I haven't bought anything yet. I went and read some more on different wormers and to be honest my head is spinning a bit now. Peeps on BYC contradict what is specifically says on labels regarding what each wormer will kill and many are suggesting using Wazine and then a broad spectrum after. I'm just not feeling good about that. Plus that could get ridiculously expensive. The frontline was about a month ago now I think? But it's systemic, it stays in their oil glands for 3-4mos. I would have never thought of the pump bottle for cleaner, that's a great idea!
Liz, I had such an issue with the girls being so sick, no idea what it was, I had to do both, I got the wazine and the iver. the iver was $18-will last forever, and the wazine was $5. There is so much, I shouldn't have to buy anything elese for a very long time. remember they were showing signs of gape worm plus tons of diarrhea and so much blood. I followed with the electrolytes and probiotics, after the corid. Whatever it was makeing them so sick, was cured. I had no choice. They were really scareing me! I didn't do it all at once. I gave them time to rebound. it was worth it for us to see them all pull through. You really can't cover all the nasties with one med. just like with people. Do you think they have something going on? Is that why you are wanting to medicate? I may have missed that, sorry?
That chicken cape is awesome! LOL! If you seriously think your hens might be cold, you could get them or make them aprons. I did make a couple for my picked on girls, they were super easy. I backed them with felt for stability but if you did a couple layers they would actually be really warm and keep their core heat in better. And I'm just as crazy apparently, I fully plan on making the girls warm mash on the coldest mornings.
That's what I was thinking. You know how you make a mini-horse blanket for dogs, I wanted to do my own pattern for some of the girls I was worried didn't have enough body fat, Ray would think I was nuts though. I'm really considering one for Tinker if she doesn't gain more.

Also, I love to see how happy they are with a wake up call of a big pan of buiscuit bread! I just stir up some self-riseing flour/water and make. then crumble and serve. makes their day!
Oh sarah, you're crazy but I love ya! LOL The shucker sounds neat I'd love to see pics! How fun that you are getting a goat, I bet Caden is beside himself. I'd love to have a mini jersey cow. It's going to take a lot of convincing dh though. He'd like to have a goat instead.
I got a before pic! I have to take the after pic.

Oh, I also got a super old thick glass urinal from a hospital! I was the only one who knew what it was. It's even market for measureing! Also a pic of my decoration out front. I adore fall/harvest!

And check out my upcycle for our old boxspring! I got a huge roll of material and foam from the top. A giant thick piece of cardboard to use on the walls of the coop for insulation, and the wooden frame will be for either cuces or g-beans! I even have the foam from the area around the bed to upcycle. I got just tons of material out of this thing! William had his chainsaw out to help! And i still have to get the material off the bottom. it'll me great for padding sewing projects like dog coats, quilts, purses, anything that needs batting. I'm so excited! And check out my turbin punkin in the basket, I'll have seeds I don't have to buy next year!!!!!!

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 10-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #65
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
This is it sweetie. I paid $18 at the feed store and it will last years! Just .5 cc/nl-1cc/ml does it. It covers what wazine doesn't. The combined with give complete protection if you are unsure of the exact issue. that's why I had to purchase both. Now we do both on any newly introduced girls too.
: http://www.lambertvetsupply.com/Prod....aspx?id=37436

I wouldn't waste money ordering, save and hit up somelocal feed stores. It's marked for cattle.

I fixed the drainage issue today. Dug a trench around the coop/run and it will now flow around the girls and down the hill. We also built up the dirt around the fenceing. Got most of the winterization done to the coop today. Boy that was one He!! of a job. Also put in 3 more nest boxes. Can't wait to get the mulch and stop fooling with this hay!
Bout froze to death out there in the wind doing all of it!

I got a before pic! I have to take the after pic.

Oh, I also got a super old thick glass urinal from a hospital! I was the only one who knew what it was. It's even market for measureing! Also a pic of my decoration out front. I adore fall/harvest!

And check out my upcycle for our old boxspring! I got a huge roll of material and foam from the top. A giant thick piece of cardboard to use on the walls of the coop for insulation, and the wooden frame will be for either cuces or g-beans! I even have the foam from the area around the bed to upcycle. I got just tons of material out of this thing! William had his chainsaw out to help! And i still have to get the material off the bottom. it'll me great for padding sewing projects like dog coats, quilts, purses, anything that needs batting. I'm so excited! And check out my turbin punkin in the basket, I'll have seeds I don't have to buy next year!!!!!!

Your son is so cute!
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #66
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Wow, I'm pretty sure it wasn't that cheap at my local feed store. Our wmt has a couple isles of livestock supplies, I'll see if they have it too. The girls don't seem to have a problem but everything I read says it's a good idea to do it at least once a year in the fall or spring as prevention and that you won't see any signs of a worm infestation until it's really really bad. They don't usually shed them. The vet told me the same thing about the dogs, they don't typically shed roundworms unless they are stuffed with them.

I'm curious how that corn shucking tool works! and eeeww on the urinal, LOL! Have you seen how the chicken chick ( a doz girls) decorates her coops and all around her yard for fall? I wonder how she pulls that off! If I started putting out beautiful pumpkins and potted mums my girls would be lookin' like this LOL
Old 10-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #67
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yea, my girls would eat it all up too! I tried seeding marygolds, and they sprouted, gone. Haha, they eat everything!

I have a med background so the urinal is right at home with all my antique bottles and love for medical!

The corn shucker should do just great. I just have to go find a replacement screw. it will attatch to the edge of a wooden barrel of box. The geers and all pieces are in excelent condition. I'll take a pic of it all cleaned up. It's just lovely!

Yea, check around at the diff feed stored. That sould be a correct price for that size bottle. You should not have to pay more!

I totally agree with the not showing signs till it's late in the game. You would be surprised how many stools I would pull that came up pos for eggs. You just can't see them. You never knew it was pos till youd put the float slide under the microscope. I also worked for a kennel that had me do it for her so she knew who to treat.IMHO she should have been treating everyone the conditions and setsup that was going on.

I count my blessings with the flock. They must have had whatever it was pretty bad. One/or more, of the meds did it! Thank you Jesus! I'll stick to how I do it now too! I found what works.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:35 AM   #68
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Sarah when are those chicks due? Missing having little peeps around, myself. kinda half hoping one of my girls will want to sit on eggs this spring.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:02 AM   #69
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lol, was just talking about that in another thread. So the first are due to start piping 6 pm sat. The double I have to wing it. Whenever I hear the peeps I'll make the tiny air holes. I put them in at different times so I have them sorted and have diff expected due dates. I found many to be unfertile, stopped growing, ect. So, I took the risk and added really healthy looking eggs at other dates. I found a great mini-book from the university of Miss, I think it is? It ways the moisture rate is better kept at 65-70 and then 70-75. At day 18, tomorrow, I'm gonna take the humidity up to 70. I have it at 65 now. Moma taught me a trick with a warm water spray bottle for when you have opened the bator to turn an egg. She hatched rare exotic birds. He had the best success rite I tell ya. I miss her, could have picked her brain, lol. Sh'd have been so excited about this double yolker too. BTW-It's doing great! I have another in there but I'm 99.99% sure it's not fertile.

I have the water dishes and everything ready! Gonna pu the mulch thurs I think. Have to go down to the shed and find what Ray did with my light. Need to cut to size a piece of rabbit wire to place on top under the blanket. Don't want anymore flyaways, lol. I really have to get another bin. Ray tossed mine a while back because I had it loaded down with trash from the property. it was too heavy to fool with dumping it. Our dump is set up odd. What a waste. I had the 2 matching ones, bigest they come I thing? They were perfect.

The girls production has dropped already. Went from 5-6 to 2-3. I wish the others had had a chance to start laying. It's supposed to warm up later in the week. Now it around 30 out with everything frozen. Todays high is somewhere around 40. Should be more of the same tomorrow, then it will warm up a little after that.

Cayden doesn't have to worry about snow days anymore, lol. He loved missing for snow!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:04 AM   #70
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wanted to ask, or did I? How is everyones production? Is it cold enough in your area to worry about it yet. I keep reading about people that have chickens that lay right through winter. That's without keeping super warm. Anyone know some of the breeds?