Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #11
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Re: Is it okay....

I wouldn't. My kids have always fallen back asleep after I take them out and lay them down.

Advertisement

threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #12
MyKylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not with the garage door open, but if it was closed I would.

K R M
MyKylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #13
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
no way, that is crazy!

I agree 100%.
Something is seriously wrong with people who leave their children unattended like this.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #14
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't see a problem with it. I don't see it as any different than the numerous parents that leave their baby sleeping in the bucket carseat somewhere in the house and carry on with what they are doing. The child is strapped in (I would hope anyway) so even if they wake up, it's not like they can get into any trouble or get hurt. I would never do it in the summer b/c our garage always gets really hot, but in the weather we are having right now I wouldn't think anything of it. They aren't any more "unattended" than leaving a baby in a crib while you are on a different floor or on the opposite side of the house.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.

Last edited by somo_chickenlady; 10-06-2012 at 06:29 PM.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #15
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd have to fully understand the set up before I were to say for sure. But, as long as she can hear the baby, the garage door is close and the temp is safe, I'd be fine with it. I have done this many times with my kids. We have an attached garage. Now, our vehicle is too big to park in there so I can't do this. In the past, I've left the car windows open and the door from the garage to the house open and left the baby sleeping in the car. I wouldn't if it was too hot or if the garage door to the outside was open or if I could not easily hear the child.

I really don't see the difference in this and leaving your child in a room upstairs as long as you can hear them and they are safe (with temp and closed garage).
Old 10-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #16
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy View Post
I agree 100%.
Something is seriously wrong with people who leave their children unattended like this.
This is pretty judgemental. I don't know the circumstances, nor am I sure if I would do it, but just because you don't agree doesn't mean you should accuse this mom that something is "seriously wrong" with her. There is no reason to think that the child isn't completely safe in a buckled car seat and the doors open so she could hear her. I don't really see a difference than being in a crib (assuming it's climate controlled and within ear shot,) and I imagine she is doing what she thinks is best.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #17
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursenmom View Post
This is pretty judgemental. I don't know the circumstances, nor am I sure if I would do it, but just because you don't agree doesn't mean you should accuse this mom that something is "seriously wrong" with her. There is no reason to think that the child isn't completely safe in a buckled car seat and the doors open so she could hear her. I don't really see a difference than being in a crib (assuming it's climate controlled and within ear shot,) and I imagine she is doing what she thinks is best.
I agree. We don't have all the details about the garage (heat/ac, ventilation, etc) so it is hard to judge. My garage is climate controlled and if you leave the door from the garage into the house open you can clearly see our car from the kitchen. So, it is like they are just in a different room of the house imo. My only concern would be that she turned the car off and let it air out first before shutting the big garage door so that all that nasty car crap gets out first. I personally wouldn't do it because my kids sleep better in their beds, but I wouldn't think twice if someone with a home similar to mine did it.
s@hmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #18
tmwmommy
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't. Mostly because the garage door is open.
tmwmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #19
NiNi
Registered Users

So the garage is locked. Isn't heated or ac. And she leaves the doors open and the garage door into the house open. I've never so I just didn't know if it was the norm. Not necessarily legal or whatever.

sent from my iPhone. excuse all typos
NiNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #20
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

To me, garage downstairs, mom upstairs is really no different than my daughter's bedroom being upstairs and me being down in the kitchen right under her bedroom making lunch. So the dynamics of child in one room and mom in the other not a problem for me.

In terms of the garage itself, I would want to to be insulated and/or climate controlled, with the door to the outside closed, just like I would expect the front door of a house closed.

As far as still sleeping in the car seat, that doesn't bother me in the least as for the first two weeks of DD2's life, that was the ONLY way she would sleep. I suspect we had some undiagnosed reflux and she wouldn't sleep unless she was at least partially upright.

IOW, if the garage is more like another room in the house and less like a detached garage or shed, then I think it's fine.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote