Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #131
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Homeschooling check-in

So proud of my DD!! She read me a 59 page book!!!!! It was a Dr Seuss book, but still I am so very proud of her! She read it with no help from me. This is a HUGE HUGE step in the right direction . She is the type of child that would cry if I would make her read more than a few pages at once. I'm thinking it has finally clicked and she has figured out that she can in fact do it!

Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #132
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Corrie--That's awesome for you guys that your Mom is so close and can help you out. My Mom lives an hour away and stays pretty busy, so if we want her help we have to schedule her in advance and it doesn't happen that often. Kind of stinks, when I was little she was always a SAHM. I've been wondering about the thread thing too, because this is a lot of stuff to sift through. Every week might be too often after a while I figure this will slow down some, but we should probably start a new one sometime soon!

Everyone else--What happened to everyone? Probably life got busy and in the way. But we'd love to hear from you! I'd also like an unschooler to join. I have a few unschooling tendancies, and I'm kind of interested to know what their day-to-day looks like.

AbbieJack--That is awesome!! I'm so happy for you guys!

Heather--Your posts might have been long and several in a row, but I was super happy to read them!! Thank you so much for comparing the math books--you just saved me from doing the exact same thing you did. I've been looking at CBOM and thinking, this is too simple, I need to go ahead and order Singapore. I think I'll wait now. Keegan is pretty good at math, it's probably his best subject. He does really like the hands-on stuff. I got a kick out of the MFW hands on activites, because we've been doing some of those for quite a while (resturant, store, war, ect) and I don't really know where we got the ideas from. The CBOM does still seem kind of simple for Keegan--he knows patterns and sorting and time to the half-hour, single digit addition/subtraction, measuring in inches and simple fractions. I think my plan after reading your posts is to go ahead with CBOM, but condense each weeks worth of stuff into just a day or two as a kind of review. He will need to learn time to 15 minute intervals and multiple digit addition and subtraction so we'll spend more time on those. Whenever we get done with all that I'll have him do the placement test for singapore and go from there. Now hopefully I'll stop worrying about it! FTR, I got kind of tickled about your kids piling on you on the couch. My kids usually leave me alone when I am on the couch and they'll just play in there. But if I come in here (DH & my bedroom) to get on the computer? They all have to follow me and scream, play, and hang all over me. So I mostly post at rest time/bedtime.

Everyone else again: Am I the only one that reads the post addressed to others? Because I totally do. Like when they specifically list out AbbieJack-- I read it. Just curious if I'm the only one.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #133
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Corrie, that is great that your mother is able to help out with teaching so much. We live close to my parents as well as IL's and my MIL is a teacher but only FIL and my dad are home during the day. Either one are happy to keep the boys for me if I need to do something and since I don't drive my dad will take us to appts if I need him but mostly it is just the boys and I. Sometimes my mom will take off of work to do interesting stuff with the kids and I like the local homeschool science lessons at the nature center or family zoo trips. She isn't completely sold on homeschooling but she likes spending time with the boys. My MIL loves that I homeschool but really can't do much covering for me since she is teaching herself.

Heather I enjoy reading your posts and just following along. I'm always interested in learning about different curriculums even if we won't be using them. Never know when I might decide I need to change. I have the same issue with the kids piling on me on the couch. The tiny dogs do it too.

AbbieJack, What a great break through for your DD! Sounds like things are falling into place.

Jen, yes I do read posts to other people and then I feel nosy for doing it. I can't help it though. I'm not sure where everyone is, probably busy.

AFM, we don't do school on Friday so just chores today. Tharen was not as good as Thursday, mostly having focus issues (he would walk into a room and look around like he forgot what he was looking for or just bounce around). He argued a bit more but could be redirected easily. I'm feeling confident the new meds are working but I'm frustrated with the slow weaning on process. It will take a full two weeks for him to get to a point where he is taking a pill every day. In the mean time he will continue to have good and bad days. I'm torn on whether to leave him at 1/2tsp of the other med or continue to wean him off. I need to speak to his doctor about it. If it were me I would just keep everything the same till I was on the full dose of the other med and then wean off, but this is my child and I hate having so many meds in him. It's a difficult balance.

I did want to ask for suggestions on spelling programs for older children who can't spell. Kearnan is still struggling with spelling, Tharen spells better than he does. His original programs used a more traditional method, introduce spelling words, work with them and then test on them. He never learned to spell because he can't memorize out of context. Even in context his memory doesn't work that way (but give him a song and he will remember the words forever). This year we have been using Spell By Color which teaches spelling rules instead of spelling words but so far I have not seen much improvement in his spelling ability. Is there a phenomenal program out there I haven't thought to try?
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #134
FTingmama
Registered Users

I'm still waiting on my new curriculum to get here
FTingmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #135
FTingmama
Registered Users

Jen - I read posts addressed to others too

Iris - Idk how well it works but I bought all about spelling for mine and it says its for beginning or struggling spelling & its a mastery program. Haven't used it yet since I'm waiting on my manual
FTingmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #136
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTingmama View Post
I'm still waiting on my new curriculum to get here
What did you order? I'm sure it says somewhere back there, but this thing is now about 14 pages long, and I probably won't go look for it, lol.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #137
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Heather~ That was me, thanks! I got the gist of the meaning (after thinking "huh?" about 100 times first lol!) but didn't know what it stood for. SO glad your BP down that's great news!!

Corrie~ How nice that your mom can help like that! Congrats on a new baby in your life How exciting. I kinda hope we start a new thread soon... maybe a new one every month. Did Jen start this thread? I forget

AbbieJack~ awesome about your dd reading!! She must be so excited to be able to read so much by herself! Which book was it? We loove Dr Seuss

Jen~ I read the parts written to other people too. The only things I skip over are some of the longer posts about curriculum, I just can't make myself focus enough to follow them sometimes. We are not unschoolers, but I also have some unschooling tendencies. We have specific thigns we make sure we get to on a consistent basis, but a huge goal of mine is to follow my kids interests, and be flexible about everything

Shannon~ I definitely understand about the meds... I know they benefit some people like a miracle, but pharms make me nervous, so I see what you're saying.
For spelling (consider we haven't "started" spelling yet) would something like this help;
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20
I have this book and it seems interesting. Haven't looked through the whole book yet or started anything out of it, but the "whole language" approach is different from what I've seen elsewhere.

Last edited by threelittlehoneys; 10-06-2012 at 12:57 PM.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #138
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

FTingmama~ what's your name? (sorry if you already mentioned!) Also curious to know what curriculum you'll be using.

AFM ( )~ I don't think we did anything yesterday... I actually had a really bad, emotional day. Also spent the afternoon and evening literally RUNNING through my house trying to get stuff done. We have friends coming next week and I realized we are about to double in #. (we are 4 with a dog, they are 4 with a dog) for a week. And the clutter has been driving me crazy so I just started cleaning like a crazy person. I got rid of 2 boxes + a mini play kitchen to the resale shop. Today 1 huge box and 1 huge garbage bag full is going to goodwill, one large box to a friend. Yesterday a huge trash bag went into the garbage... I got SO much done, and my house is actually looking clean and minimal! I'm SO excited! Also, we did end up getting a car! It's a subaru car/sm wagon, currently getting worked on and will be ready next week for us Life is going to be so different being able to leave the house

Next week the kids and I are taking the entire week off. We started before labor day so we can take time off when the weathers nice.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Heather~ I hope your next post is informing us of your labor contractions! Or a new baby in your arms!!

Last edited by threelittlehoneys; 10-06-2012 at 12:58 PM.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #139
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Rain--No, I didn't start the thread. If I remember right I think Angel did. Congrats on the new ride!!! And it sounds like you have gotten a lot accomplished lately! Although the thing I get frustrated about with cleaning is the house looks so nice for about....5 minutes. Then it needs done again, lol.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #140
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Good morning! Hope everyone is having a fantastic day! And I'm hoping Heather is in labor, but I saw a post of hers somewhere else this morning, so I'm guessing not yet.

I feel like today has went really well. We've already gotten in a little over 2 hours of work and it's only 10 am! Plus the kids were having a really good reading day today, so that always makes things brighter. We're just about done finishing up the hooked on phonics review, but we still have several days of the review section of MFW left, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do there. Maybe just read the "I am Sam" books for reading practice. We've finished all the MFW stuff for today, but I'll probably do a math game later or some more reading so we can log all our hours for today. 1000 (MO requirements) seems like a lot for little guys.