Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #11
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Re: Wake a newborn to feed?

Before reading through your posts, my answer was "only if they have jaundice". Reading that your DD does/did, I would still try waking her for feeds. I say this because my 2nd had jaundice as well, and it made him so sleepy that he wouldn't eat enough. In that situation, I feel that they don't know what's best (at least in my case), so we should still try feeding them as often as is reasonable. Good luck!

Advertisement

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #12
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

You might also try sleeping next to her in a safe cosleeping set up (mattress on floor, no pillows or blankets, keep pets & other kids away) and keep your breast out and available right by her mouth as she sleeps. The closeness will help stimulate her rooting reflexes and stimulate your milk to continue building.

Not sure if you're already doing that or not.

My DD was a very sleepy newborn and barely woke enough to nurse the first week. She lost 15oz and had me freaked out. :-/ So we spent the next week topless and snuggling.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:16 AM   #13
paggie88
Registered Users
seller

i was told that you should wake a baby up to feed every 2-3 hr to feed. i mean you are the parent so it is your call as you by your baby all the time. some babies do sleep longer, but being overly sleepy can be due to jaundice. just be cautious.
paggie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:36 AM   #14
vmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Since her jaundice is resolves, She's fine to go 3-4 hours between feeds. I wouldn't let her go past 4 though

Last edited by vmomma; 10-07-2012 at 01:37 AM.
vmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:17 AM   #15
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_to_DJM
Before reading through your posts, my answer was "only if they have jaundice". Reading that your DD does/did, I would still try waking her for feeds. I say this because my 2nd had jaundice as well, and it made him so sleepy that he wouldn't eat enough. In that situation, I feel that they don't know what's best (at least in my case), so we should still try feeding them as often as is reasonable. Good luck!
This was my answer as well. We were under Dr's orders to wake every three hours until the jaundice resolved, and then every four (at night) for a few weeks afterwards. After his six week appt when his bili levels etc checked out we were told we could let him sleep - and he did. For seven wonderful hours.

This early, though, I wouldn't feel comfortable not waking for a feed.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:46 AM   #16
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With 2 of my babies I was able to just let them wake when they were hungry and they would get up every 2-4 hours and gained fine.

My second child though was in the happy to starve catergory and was not gaining weight so I had to wake him every 2 hours for a while until he was waking more frequently on his own.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #17
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hi. Around here, we wake our newborns to eat. Every 2.5-3 hours. It can be a fight to keep them awake for an entire "meal" and then for a few minutes after eating (15 or so). But, it helps them be sure to get enough calories in, and enough awake time during the day so they sleep better at night IME.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.

Last edited by GEMQEMCABOOSE; 10-07-2012 at 07:47 AM.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #18
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
I only woke they girls while dealing with jaundice and until they were back up to birth weight. After that I got the ok to feed on demand. It took my girls about 3wks to get to that point.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:06 AM   #19
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

If/when she is at or above birth weight (sounds like she'll be weighed tomorrow?), and jaundice is resolved, let baby take the lead. My first DD never slept, and my second, who is 7 weeks, sleeps beautifully--but she was early and jaundiced and I did have to encourage her to eat for the first two weeks or so.
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #20
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My kids were all less than 6 pounds when they came home and jaundiced. We woke to feed til weight gain was better. However, if weight gain is ok, I'd let it go.

When DD was 4 days old she slept for 6 hours. I was thrilled. I mentioned it at the ped the following day, and my ped was mortified! We were told every 3 hours til she hit 8 pounds.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote