Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #31
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
Re: The power of Santa...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 View Post
I recently convinced my children that white bread was illegal. They wouldn't buy that it is just not good for us, when asking why we don't buy it more often. I blurted out that it was illegal and they believed me. To the point where DD now refers to it as "W.B." and when she spotted it in the bakery aisle she panicked that the store owners would get in trouble. My kids are going to need major therapy, but I still find it funny.

I personally don't use Santa that way, but I think sometimes a mama has to do what a mama has to do.

And, I do consider omitting information to be lying. I don't see how it is not a lie. So, yes, I think most of us lie to our kids about something because it just, plain is not appropriate for them to know all adult information.
It's another one of those topics where what works/is right for person A may not be the case for person b.
I sometimes told my older son that some candy is poison because of the red dye. Now he just giggles and says "no way" when he tells it's not poison anymore.

I would be curious to know those that follow the no lie policy [if they are Christian], do they tell them that Christmas is Jesus birthday and do that whole story. Because what is celebrate now is highly inaccurate and that would be lying IMO if one follows that line of thinking. Or do they break it down saying Christ was not born on this day, but it's a day we choose to celebrate. And more than likely it took a couple of years for the wise men to reach the child. And we don't know how many wise men there were...etc, etc.

Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #32
alice_hallett
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
I would be curious to know those that follow the no lie policy [if they are Christian], do they tell them that Christmas is Jesus birthday and do that whole story. Because what is celebrate now is highly inaccurate and that would be lying IMO if one follows that line of thinking. Or do they break it down saying Christ was not born on this day, but it's a day we choose to celebrate. And more than likely it took a couple of years for the wise men to reach the child. And we don't know how many wise men there were...etc, etc.
Regarding this specific question - we try not to lie and are Christian. our children DO know that Christ wasn't really born on that day, the wise men came years later, and we don't know how many there were. They know it's just how we celebrate it. They know Santa isn't real but they still enjoy the idea of him and like to have Santa decorations, etc.

Last edited by alice_hallett; 10-07-2012 at 09:17 AM.
alice_hallett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #33
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 View Post
I recently convinced my children that white bread was illegal. They wouldn't buy that it is just not good for us, when asking why we don't buy it more often. I blurted out that it was illegal and they believed me. To the point where DD now refers to it as "W.B." and when she spotted it in the bakery aisle she panicked that the store owners would get in trouble. My kids are going to need major therapy, but I still find it funny.

I personally don't use Santa that way, but I think sometimes a mama has to do what a mama has to do.

And, I do consider omitting information to be lying. I don't see how it is not a lie. So, yes, I think most of us lie to our kids about something because it just, plain is not appropriate for them to know all adult information.
DH says this kind of stuff all the time. I have to tell them when he's joking half the time, otherwise they would be REALLY confused!!

I guess the definition of lying is so open to interpretation too, I had never really thought about that before. But things I do that I don't consider lying other people do. I don't mean to make anyone feel like I think I know what's best and I'm trying to tell other people how to parent. Mostly I operate on the assumption that we're all doing the best we can, and no one can assume someone else's circumstances so why bother trying... yk?
My "honesty" posting yesterday was triggered by I guess some emotional baggage from the way I was treated as a kid. But I mean I don't think the "white lies" most parents tell are going to emotionally destroy a kid or anything.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #34
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ok, i admit it, i told DD that alligators love to eat babies but she didnt believe me. im sure a baby would be a tasty treat for an alligator so it's not really a lie right? lol
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #35
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes
ok, i admit it, i told DD that alligators love to eat babies but she didnt believe me. im sure a baby would be a tasty treat for an alligator so it's not really a lie right? lol
I told my oldest niece there is a monster called The Sister Eater who it's little sisters when big sisters don't appreciate them. She was super nice to her little sister all day. Lol.

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #36
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_hallett View Post
Regarding this specific question - we try not to lie and are Christian. our children DO know that Christ wasn't really born on that day, the wise men came years later, and we don't know how many there were. They know it's just how we celebrate it. They know Santa isn't real but they still enjoy the idea of him and like to have Santa decorations, etc.
That's what we do as well. Thank you for answering I'm such a huge theology/history tied-in buff that it actually fascinates me.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #37
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
Personally for us, we are Christian and try not to lie at all. We do break down Christmas and let the kids know that we don't know what day He was born, but this is the day we celebrate it. They know that the wise men weren't at the stable. That's actually a pet peeve of mine, because it's always in manger scenes, and I know grown men and women who have been to church their whole lives and assume that's the way it was because that's what they always see. And we don't know how many wise men there were, but more than one and they brought 3 gifts. We try to present the Bible as accurately as we know how.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #38
Terra
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Personally for us, we are Christian and try not to lie at all. We do break down Christmas and let the kids know that we don't know what day He was born, but this is the day we celebrate it. They know that the wise men weren't at the stable. That's actually a pet peeve of mine, because it's always in manger scenes, and I know grown men and women who have been to church their whole lives and assume that's the way it was because that's what they always see. And we don't know how many wise men there were, but more than one and they brought 3 gifts. We try to present the Bible as accurately as we know how.
Yeah that's true, many don't know it was more of a cave, not a typical barn and the manager was more than likely just a pit carved out of rock in the wall. I guess for me personally since Christmas really isn't Christian at all, I don't much worry about the spiritual aspect anyway. Thank you for answering
Old 10-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #39
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
Yeah that's true, many don't know it was more of a cave, not a typical barn and the manager was more than likely just a pit carved out of rock in the wall. I guess for me personally since Christmas really isn't Christian at all, I don't much worry about the spiritual aspect anyway. Thank you for answering
We don't really focus on the spiritual aspect of Christmas either... I don't like doing things just for "traditions" sake, so last year will be the last time we make our kids sit through a Christmas eve service. (We can NOT find a church we like here. But last year we went with my parents cause theyre trying to "carry on" my mom's parents tradition)
Jesus wasn't born on Christmas, cute imagery drives me bonkers, so instead we just celebrate being together, being blessed, being loved by our family and God, being able to show love towards other people. That kinda stuff. The best seems to come out of everyone around Christmas, so it's enough to just revel in and celebrate that
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #40
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

I don't like the Santa threat only because I know I won't follow through, so it's an empty threat. We do Elf on the Shelf but just for fun and because I have fun moving him around--not really as a threat to cause good behavior.

We also plan to tell DS that Christmas is just when we celebrate, and that Jesus was much older when the wisemen visited him, that stables were typically caves, etc. God willing I'd love to take him to Jerusalem some day and I want him to understand what we really know from history.

I love Santa tho. And all holidays for that matter.

Ha, I don't have a problem with silly little stories . I tell DS that he has monsters in his teeth I have to brush away so they don't eat his teeth. Not really a lie--there are monsters, we just call them germs.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com

Last edited by dancermommy1; 10-07-2012 at 12:54 PM.
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote