Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #41
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
Re: The power of Santa...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainandRedemption View Post
We don't really focus on the spiritual aspect of Christmas either... I don't like doing things just for "traditions" sake, so last year will be the last time we make our kids sit through a Christmas eve service. (We can NOT find a church we like here. But last year we went with my parents cause theyre trying to "carry on" my mom's parents tradition)
Jesus wasn't born on Christmas, cute imagery drives me bonkers, so instead we just celebrate being together, being blessed, being loved by our family and God, being able to show love towards other people. That kinda stuff. The best seems to come out of everyone around Christmas, so it's enough to just revel in and celebrate that
Aside from us doing Santa, we are a lot like that too I was just reading the other thread [the parents lying thread] and thinking that in a way if we say Christmas is Christian/Jesus is the reason for the season thing [even if we know Christ was born on that day], it's still a "lie" essentially too. Mainly because we were never told to celebrate Christmas at all.
It very much is about family at the end of the day for us too.

And we can not find a fellowship we like again either!! We had a great one, went for about 5 years and then it disbanded. A few of us are still really really close. It was a smaller church which is what I like, very much a "family". No shows, nothing like that, just family. It's been so hard finding that again! Now my in-laws are all for the Christmas stuff and send out cards with Kept Christ in Christmas and all that and insist upon the services. Thankfully they live in Ohio and we indulge them only when they are here.

Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #42
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Santa is a great power! I kicked friends out on Christmas eve because someone called and said he was on the radar.

Alisha I know how to spell my Samsung Galaxy S2 does not.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #43
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2kaitlyn View Post
Santa is a great power! I kicked friends out on Christmas eve because someone called and said he was on the radar.

Alisha I know how to spell my Samsung Galaxy S2 does not.

You'll don't have to go home but you can't stay here! Santas a 'coming and it's time to put those kiddos down!

Oh man, I'm getting excited just thinking about Christmas!!!
Old 10-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #44
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
This is an interesting point of view.

I like it.
Thank you!
Old 10-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #45
sweetpeapumpkinbaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
It's another one of those topics where what works/is right for person A may not be the case for person b.
I sometimes told my older son that some candy is poison because of the red dye. Now he just giggles and says "no way" when he tells it's not poison anymore.

I would be curious to know those that follow the no lie policy [if they are Christian], do they tell them that Christmas is Jesus birthday and do that whole story. Because what is celebrate now is highly inaccurate and that would be lying IMO if one follows that line of thinking. Or do they break it down saying Christ was not born on this day, but it's a day we choose to celebrate. And more than likely it took a couple of years for the wise men to reach the child. And we don't know how many wise men there were...etc, etc.
Regarding this (sorry for the hijack, OP): We are Christian, and we do not celebrate christmas. It is not Jesus' birthday, and was not celebrated by the first century church (was added later). The other things you mention, number of wise men, where Jesus was when they came, etc. are very true, and are what we teach regarding those parts of the Biblical account.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #46
Terra
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeapumpkinbaby View Post
Regarding this (sorry for the hijack, OP): We are Christian, and we do not celebrate christmas. It is not Jesus' birthday, and was not celebrated by the first century church (was added later). The other things you mention, number of wise men, where Jesus was when they came, etc. are very true, and are what we teach regarding those parts of the Biblical account.
Oh yes I agree Jesus and the wise men are true. But we don't know the number and they did not arrive the night of his birth. Sorry, I should have been more clear in writing that But I agree, it was never celebrated by the 1st Century church.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:04 AM   #47
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

I've never used Santa but my equivalent of your 2yr old is my dd2 who is 3 and I think I might try the Santa card when I can't take it anymore!

My parents used to use the Santa card. And yes, they lied to us about Santa every single year. And the only bad thing was when we had to grow up and find out that the wonderful story wasn't exactly true. Although even after we found out my mum denied it and always just said that Santa visits those who believe. Since Santa brought the good stuff we 'believed'! I really really can't see the harm in all this.

DH grew up as a jahovah's witness so the complete opposite of my non religious upbringing and and I really can't see how he is a better, more balanced, more sane, more virtuous, or anything else, person because his parents didn't lie to him!
isabelsmummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:54 AM   #48
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainandRedemption View Post
DH says this kind of stuff all the time. I have to tell them when he's joking half the time, otherwise they would be REALLY confused!!

I guess the definition of lying is so open to interpretation too, I had never really thought about that before. But things I do that I don't consider lying other people do. I don't mean to make anyone feel like I think I know what's best and I'm trying to tell other people how to parent. Mostly I operate on the assumption that we're all doing the best we can, and no one can assume someone else's circumstances so why bother trying... yk?
My "honesty" posting yesterday was triggered by I guess some emotional baggage from the way I was treated as a kid. But I mean I don't think the "white lies" most parents tell are going to emotionally destroy a kid or anything.
I know where you were coming from. I have found all of the discussions around Santa, no Santa, honesty, lying, etc... to be very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
I've never pulled the "I'm calling Santa" card. It's just as bad as "Just wait til your dad gets home" etc. Basically it's transferring the power of authority away from you and shows to your children that your are essentially not the one in charge, therefore perpetuating the cycle of misbehavior.

So, yeah, nope
I agree with this. I try very hard not to pull some higher authority with my kids because that implies that I cannot manage what is going on. What will we do when something really big goes down and I am the one managing it? The approach of threatening some higher authority undermines my rules, IMO and makes me a futile person in their eyes.

Now, having said that, I have used a similar approach in a different way. Serious misbehaviour with an older kid? After I discuss and deal with consequences/whatever, I usually say, "You will need to tell Dad/Mom (if kid is not my own) about this." And then I coach them through how they can come clean to the parent. I think this is part of owning the behaviour and is effective for bigger kids to think about the results of their actions, but it is not done in a threatening tone. More of a "well... now you will need to discuss this with so-and-so."

I will also tease my kids around Christmas/Santa or regarding their teachers, say... Light hearted, joking, "Ooohh! What would so and so think about that..." Giggle. The kids know it is a joke, so it is not really about the behaviour, IYWKIM?

Last edited by Geckmumto3; 10-10-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #49
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda
I've never pulled the "I'm calling Santa" card. It's just as bad as "Just wait til your dad gets home" etc. Basically it's transferring the power of authority away from you and shows to your children that your are essentially not the one in charge, therefore perpetuating the cycle of misbehavior.

So, yeah, nope
Yes. I am the mama and you will respect ME.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #50
sweetpeapumpkinbaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
Oh yes I agree Jesus and the wise men are true. But we don't know the number and they did not arrive the night of his birth. Sorry, I should have been more clear in writing that But I agree, it was never celebrated by the 1st Century church.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant that I agree with what you are saying: That we know that there were multiple wise men, but not the number, that they did not arrive on the night of Christs birth, etc. I was saying, that that is exactly what we/the church believe/teach. That'll teach me to be lazy when typing, LOL!